“Enjoyable stay, good location, reasonable cost”
Review of Wensum Guest House

Wensum Guest House
Ranked #16 of 80 Norwich B&B and Inns
West Midlands
“Enjoyable stay, good location, reasonable cost”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Comfortable and clean room - we had one of the en-suite twin rooms - with a nice selection of tea, coffee, hot chocolate.
Breakfast was help yourself to juice, cereal, fruit, coffee (tea was made if you wanted it), toast and preserves, plus a made-to-order cooked breakfast. Perhaps not the biggest cooked breakfast, but a good selection.
Guest House parking, although this can get full. However, you can park on the side road adjacent, which was OK.
Ideally situated for Norwich city centre - a 15 minute stroll away - plus good location for UEA, the East Anglia show, as well as the general surrounding area.

All in all, clean comfortable room to sleep in, reasonable breakfast, reasonable cost, and good location meets all of my criteria for somewhere to stay.
Would definitely use again

Room Tip: Some rooms have shared bathrooms; some have sloped ceiling which could be an issue for tall people
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Gibraltar
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Mixed reviews here... Not the kind of place we are used to staying in but it suited our purpose at the time (plus Norwich was v busy that week). Incidentally I decided to book the Wensum as opposed to a Premier Inn, preferring to give cash to a local business.

The twin beds were clean and comfortable. The receptionist (and morning server) was a pleasant lady. She was surprised upon showing us to the room (no 10) that the overhead light wasn't working. We said it wasn't an issue but she said she would get it fixed the next day. We thought no more of it.

I placed a 'do not disturb' sign on the door that evening when we returned as my husband was unwell following a minor procedure earlier in the week.

At around 6:30am, the fire alarm sounded. We jumped out of bed, and left the room to meet outside the property. The only member of staff on duty was the cook, who was trembling with fear as she did not know what to do. I'm unsure as to whether a head count should have taken place/rooms should have been checked - but nothing of this sort happened. The cook advised she had only worked there a few weeks and did not know what to do. 2 fellow guests re-entered the building and disabled the alarm as we had all ascertained it was a false alarm. We returned to bed. No explanation was offered later as to why this had happened; the scenario was quite distressing, knowing that in effect, no one cared. Had this been a 'real' situation, it could have been extremely dangerous. As far as I understand, no staff are in the property overnight...

We decided to skip breakfast as we were both tired. Around 10am 'housekeeping' knocked on our door. I ignored it. They knocked again. I was furious, not only because we had already been disturbed, but because the DND was still displayed. It was to repair the light bulb. I sent the chap away with a flea in his ear. At this point, had we not paid upfront for the room I wouldh have left. I was angry and annoyed; no control over what happens in an emergency & no notice taken of our wishes to not be disturbed.

The next nights/days were however, uneventful.

The bathroom is quite horrid, though relatively spacious (compared to the room). It was clean enough though old looking and cheap.

Surprisingly, the breakfast was rather good; though half a sausage was quite amusing (especially as it was by far the best bit!). On the morning we left we had a sandwich instead of breakfast - very nice it was too.

My conclusion? I would not stay here again. If I was on business, it would be ok as a base I guess, but not good for 2 people sharing in all honesty.

I have downgraded service to 1 to reflect the fire alarm situation.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
NickSmith789, Manager at Wensum Guest House, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
In response to the comments made, I would like to apologise to you and all the other guests for being disturbed by the Fire Alarm incident. I would like to explain that the part time cook had only been working here for a few weeks and that normally there would be another member of staff on duty at the property. That said, we accept that inadequate training was given to the cook. However, this has now been rectified. This was an unfortunate, isolated incident at the Guest House due to an oversight on bookings. We would like it to be known that there is normally, always a staff presence overnight.
Once again I apologise for any inconvenience caused, our guests are very important to us and we will always try our utmost to keep our guests comfortable and safe.

Nick Smith.
Manager
Wensum Guesthouse
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Stayed here for four nights room No 8. Very large room with en-suite, all facilities as described on website. Breakfast has something for everyone ranging from cereals to fresh fruit, full English,toast, coffee and tea. Room cleaned every day with fresh towels and tea service topped up as well. A good base for travelling around the East Coast would recommend this guest house to anyone.

Room Tip: Room No 8 very Large room
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stephen M
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2012

The guest house not hotel is family run and has been modernised in the respect of furniture and decor.
My room(no 11) was one of two rooms that had to share a bathroom but more frustrating was next to the kitchen so as soon as people were working in the kitchen 0700hrs that was your alarm call!!

The breakfast was good and I would give it another try but check that your not in room 11 !!

• Stayed June 2012
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Stayed her for 1 night on business.
Lovely little 1 bed room with tea and coffee facilities - Aero hot chocolate and biscuits also.
Flat screen TV.

Bathroom facilities were shared but extremely clean, lots of towels avaliable.

I only had a bacon sandwich and fruit for breakfast was lovely though, nice start to the day. The gentleman taking orders was very polite and friendly.

I will be returning if on business in Norwich

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 16, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at Wensum Guesthouse for one night whilst traveling through Norwich. Great location, took me 15 minutes to walk into city centre. Rooms are modern, very comfortable, although I had a shared bathroom it was clean, modern and warm, my room also had a basin. Very quiet at night had a great sleep. Owners were very helpful, directed me to a nice pub for dinner just around the corner. Great value for money, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this guesthouse

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Booked this literally last minute, and we were very pleased that we did. Very easy to find and only a 20 min walk into the centre. Stayed in the double en suite which was a very good size, and the bed is so comfortable! Breakfast was delicious and so much to choose from. Staff were very friendly and even let us check in 3 hours earlier than allowed. All in all a very good place to stay and would definitely recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank MarkB1984
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwich
Maids Head Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crostwick
Holiday Inn Norwich
Holiday Inn Norwich
#20 of 50 in Norwich

Been to Wensum Guest House? Share your experiences!