“More than happy”

Ranked #40 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Norwich, United Kingdom
“More than happy”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

I wasn't sure what to expect after booking this hotel then reading the last review, but I came with an open mind and was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is dated as other people have said but you can quite clearly see the hotel is being decorated and has new carpets. The hotel is perfect location to everything you could need. I would also like to say how impressed I was with all the staff I encountered. Especially the young lady on reception who went out of her way to help me. All in all this is an old traditional hotel where you get more of a personal touch, and I would just like to add I did not once smell cannabis.. See any druggies or any prostitutes and if I worked at the hotel I would have the last review removed immediately . I was more than happy here and will def return.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Elizabeth D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Disgusting! You know its bad when theres a sign at recsption apologising for the conditions during refurb but the sign looking like its always been there! Hotel looks like it hasnt been decorated since the 70's! Room was disgusting and stunk of cannabis smoke. Holes in walls, thread bare carpets and every tile in bathroom was smashed! Taxi driver said it was know in town as the smack house or w*ore house!

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank ttravellingTim

Travelers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Hi

Stayed here at the weekend as in Norwich shopping and meeting friends, staff polite enough the breakfast ok if a little pricey and the bacon need cooking longer for my taste but I have had worse.
The bar was ok, a little short on certain things but for a small hotel bar sufficient in my opinion paid £79 per night for two of us including breakfast so not too bad but I felt at the top of the pricing call things considered, my main gripe was cleanliness, yes they changed the bed and towels before we arrived but that's it found a shirt on the back of door so they did not clean that hard and used shampoo sachets in the shower!!
so to summarise generally o.k but a bit dated and dirty but the free parking helped and nosiy floorboards the bed would be nice to have duvet not cover that was tucked in so hard you had to be a bodybuilder to move it!!
thanks for reading hope help someone.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Kings Lynn
Reviewed November 24, 2013

The Lansdowne is well suitated near the station on a quiet road with plenty of parking.

The reception staff were lovely but the hotel is in dire need of refurbishment, which I gather has started!

The decor of public areas is old, dated and peeling.

Our room was lovely and warm, but very dated. The console next to the bed looked like it could a Cold War Nuclear War launch console!

The bedding was clean, but the duvet cover was faded. The mattress was great and so slept really, really well, especially as it was a warm room.
The bath panel was cracked and the light full of dead flies. My towel had the aroma of the slightly rusty towel rail. The shower was freezing for about 10mins until it warmed up slightly.

The breakfast was great - a proper full English and toast with choice of juices, tea or coffee.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
London, England
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Stayed for one night while going to watch football at Norwich. Great location, you can walk everywhere but I would have to endorse most of the previous reviews. Whilst all the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful and whilst the reception is just about ok, when you go up to the floors it is more than a little dated. I don't usually put things like that in reviews because I think that if somewhere is clean and functional, you get what you pay for. But this was bordering on the unacceptable really. The beds were clean (thank goodness) and the bathroom, which is all that essentially matters but the carpet was absolutely filthy and stained. Again, one little mark isn't going to bother me, but this was COVERED. Like somebody else said, I could probably look past all this but for the noise from the floor above. We didn't get in until late, having been out drinking after the match but I would like to think we were quiet and considered the other guests. This wasn't so much inconsideration as the horrendous creaking from the floorboards as though there was a step-class going on. All in all, it wasn't actually terrible but not the greatest either.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My honest advise would be to stay in a travellodge or Holiday Inn for a similar price rather than come here. I would describe my visit as quirky at the very best - the beds were lumpy and uncomfortable and the shower was eithrr scalding hot or freezing cold - highly unpleasant and was unable to wash my hair. Worst of all though was the creaky floorboards in the rooms above - not helped by the resident gallumphing around up there until gone midnight, only to resume at about 6.00am. The creaking meant I couldn't sleep well at all. However, the coffee and biscuit tray was a sweet and thoughtful gesture, and the staff were very kind allowing us to use their parking space whilst visiting the beautiful Norwich - VERY generous. I do stand by my earlier statement though - do avoid if you like a comfortable, fully functioning, quite room.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2013

As wedding planners, my husband & I had travelled for a few hours from Buckinghamshire, in order to attend a nearby wedding fair the following day.
The hotel reception staff were very helpful & friendly, & we thought we'd made a good choice.

I thought the hotel was passable downstairs, but soon changed my mind when I went through the door into the corridor & stairway, as the wallpaper was torn & old, & in really bad condition.
...& I thought I was going to die in the lift... it felt like id been shut in a slow moving box.. awful experience!!!

Our 2nd floor room was dated but ok, with a nice complimentary tea/coffee tray... We had no view, other than windows opposite.

The bathroom had nothing covering the windows, leaving us feeling rather exposed, so I opened a small window & hung a towel up to at least shield us on the loo!

Although the bath had a low shower, it was not one that we could stand under,..nor could I rinse the bath out properly, as it was fixed to the wall.... I hate baths & had really wanted a shower!

The toilet roll holder came away from the wall, but we thought as it was only for one night we could make the best of it, & after finishing paperwork we needed for the following day, we finally got into bed, thoroughly exhausted, at 01.30.

We were rudely awoken 45 mins later, at around 02.15, by drunken men outside the door, shouting for someone & hammering on the walls & doors, for several minutes, until they gained access!.. then slamming doors!... At which point I went out & did some shouting of my own before returning to bed & falling back to sleep, only to have a repeat performance 1hr later, around 03.20!... more banging & shouting, & absolutely no respect for other guests who were also trying to enjoy a weekend break!... Disgracefull!!!!

That was it...I was so tired & disgusted, that after complaining furiously to management, who hadn't heard a thing, & merely offered to go up & speak to them... my husband & I checked out around 03.50 & somehow managed to drive back to Buckinghamshire, having had our weekend thoroughly ruined!!!

We complained to Booking.com, who spoke to the hotel, which then sent apologies & refunded our money.

Never Again!!!

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel!