“Thank you”
Review of Caistor Hall Hotel

Caistor Hall Hotel
Ranked #31 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed January 19, 2014

A very good experience. Very good accommodation,beautiful rooms,very comfortable excellent food all at reasonable prices for this type of hotel. Special mention for the duty manager Karlis Birzgalis and hotel assistant Christine, both bent over backwards to pamper to your every need.
All in all a very enjoyable stay, highly recommended. Do yourself a favour if you need to stay in the area use this hotel.
Thanks again to the very pleasant staff.

Room Tip: all rooms look nice
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank david c

Reviewed November 18, 2013

My partner booked a room as a anniversary surprise, we don't live far away but it was close to Norwich town centre for shopping the next day, on arrival I was in awe at the beautiful exterior and carpeted steps outside it felt very posh, we arrived late so not many people around the receptionist was very polite and very informative he was a great help. The room was stunning a gorgeous 4 poster bed lovely dressing area huge tv and the cherry on top was at the top of the stairs a jacuzzi bath the carpet felt great under my feet it was amazing. Plenty of towels and bubbles for the tub. It was a lovely night. We felt check out time was suitable and the other male receptionist called us a taxi and said he would get us when it arrived so we sat in the library which was cozy with its log fire. I loved this hotel it was so picturesque and the decor was in keeping with its period I loved everything about it and will be coming back soon :)

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Jamdoughnut2112
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Where to start? Easy to find and plenty of parking is probably the best that could be said for this place which doesn't even begin to live up to its very grand sounding name.

My UK-based friend and I planned to catch up here for the long weekend and take advantage of their 'Girls Night Out' package, which we pre-booked, noting all of our various requirements. We were unlucky enough to have a tyre blow out on the journey, meaning we were going to be late, so called ahead to let them know and see if it was possible to postpone the spa treatment booked. The response from the disinterested clerk was that he "wasn't sure" and was going to leave it at that, until we pushed for a response, at which point he said he would find out. In an improbably short time, he came back to say that no, it wouldn't be possible.

When we arrived, we had to walk through a chapel area and to the bar, as there was no signage to the side entrance 'front of house'. The lad in the bar let us loiter for a little before directing us to check in. We did so, explaining the situation and asking firstly if the spa treatment was possible to rebook for the morning, and secondly if breakfast was included in the package. "Not sure" on either front, but assurances that we would be told when we came down for dinner.

We reached the room after a long walk through a rabbit warren of corridors to a standard if tired looking room, with a view of the car park. My friend showered as I unpacked to the sound of screams as the water went from scalding hot to freezing cold. The bathroom itself looked like it had not been thoroughly cleaned for a long while.

The package included 'chef-prepared, take away style dinner in our room', however no one had asked what time we wanted dinner, so we went downstairs to see what the arrangement was. THe staff seemed to have no idea what we were talking about and were a bit taken aback when we asked about dinner in our room. Instead we were offered a seat in the library, which we accepted, followed by instances that we should sit in the dining room, which we declined as we were already seated in the library. The Asian style take away we had arranged months previous was seemingly forgotten and instead we were given the option of Italian. We were served up four, massive, doughy pizzas and garlic bread. Edible but not what we envision and certainly no comparison for a light Asian meal.

A bottle of champagne was also supposed to be in our room on ice as part of hte package; this also did not eventuate, so upon enquiring at the bar, my friend was given a wine list. She asked what was available, and was told everything. She suggested that perhaps it didn't include the 90 pound plus bottles, and was then given a random list of wines to select from. This was brought to our table, along with my cider, served in a glass with a dirty great lipstick stain and fingerprints all over. When I asked for a fresh drink, the contents were simply poured into a new glass.

Upon check out we were asked were we not staying for breakfast, at which stage we pointed out that since no one had contacted us about it, that we'd assumed it wasn't included. It was too late to partake in this since we had an appointment to meet and packed to leave based on breakfast not being available. Same story with the spa treatment. We refused to pay the full tarriff, given that we didn't recieve was we'd been offered and booked, only to be presented with the manager making the 'case' for paying the full package, sans breakfast, room service and spa treatment. Even after we'd renegotiated what we considered to be a reasonable rate, she insisted that we should pay for the newspaper!

Not relaxing. Not a 'girls night in'. Not what I'd call service by any stretch of the imagination. One to avoid.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank SouthcombeRaven
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We stayed here for night as the pictures of the outside of this Georgian hotel looked inviting and even a little grand. On arrival though we found otherwise. The gardens did provide an attractive setting but these first impressions soon went down hill. The reception area was cramped , tatty and in need of renovation and did not make good first impression. To be fair the receptionist was friendly and welcoming. Getting to our [attic] room was an obstacle course with a maze of narrow corridors and stair cases plus numerous tatty fire doors and flimsy partitions in between. The room itself was clean, however it was very bland, with old fashioned regency style curtains and matching bedlinen, one child size bedside lapmp and no pictures on the walls. The phone was out of order.The paint was chipped on the door and also peeling badly on the window cill. I imagine this attic room was once used for servants rather than paying guests!! It was rather dark having only one small window which looked out over heating ducts and other ugly hotel roofs and other paraphernalia. No view of the garden. The bed was reasonably comfortable and the bath room [ internal ] was acceptable although there were loose floor boards otherwise everything worked. I wondered if this room was typical of the hotel and on leaving I peered into another room on a lower floor which was being cleaned . Although larger than ours it was very dark and had the same old fashioned feel with with "make do" style lemon painted 50's style fitted bedroom furniture. Not really better than our attic room.

We paid £20 extra to have breakfast . This was provided in a surprisingly elegant and attractive dining room which had views on to the garden and into the adjacent oak panelled library style room . This latter room was superficially attractive being furnished with leather style club chairs and a log fire. Closer inspection however, of the room revealed the green cloth covered coffee table tops were in fact covered with plywood. Says it all really.

The breakfast itself was not really adequate. The service was a little slow and not very professional with only a young lad serving and doing his best. We asked for coffee. This arrived in a tatty looking cafetiere and was only luke warm - worse it tasted of nothing and was near colourless. I asked if the could be replaced as it was too weak and tasteless. The waiter said oh yes they'd add another another spoonful of coffee ! When he returned with the pot of still lukewarm coffee it wasn't any stronger ; indeed it was barely drinkable - in fact Id say it was the worst cup of "coffee" I've ever tasted. Even if they'd used cheap instant it would have been far nicer.
On checking out I was asked if we'd enjoyed our stay. I said not really as I thought the attic room did not meet our expectations and that the breakfast coffee was weak and undrinkable. The receptionist, to her credit apologised and offered to charge for only on of the breakfasts , which was a pleasant gesture. However I really don't know why in this day and age when there are thousands of decent coffee shops all over the UK this hotel cannot invest in a decent coffee machine for a start. [ I suspect it would pay for itself in the cost of refunds in a week.]

My overall impression of the place was of somewhere which probably survived by hosting weddings, stag nights and events rather than as an hotel . The whole place required a complete refurbishment [ although the dark bedrooms and cramped access and corridors might require more action than cosmetic changes]. Basically it needs complete refit - they could make start by getting rid of the plywood covered coffee tables in the library style room [ and I suspect elsewhere ] which were concealed by bottle green table cloths .These tables really say it all about the place . It was tatty and poor value, despite its garden and its faded Georgian heritage. I would like to be able to say better of this place as the staff did seem amenable but I am afraid I can't. I would never return and am unable recommend this place as a place to stay.

Room Tip: I suppose you could ask fora room with a view over the garden. It might have larger windows and be...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chrisinthesouth
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Stopped one night in October 2013. Lovely building from the outside with plenty of parking space. On going into reception however the impression was that there was a need for some fairly major renovation. The reception area was a bit tacky for such a grand building; the carpets were threadbare and it had a grubby feel about it. First impressions were therefore not especially favourable. This can be so important for a hotel. The staff however were very helpful and pleasant. We were given a room and an offer was made to assist with luggage. We ordered a wake up call.
On winding our way through the meandering corridors again the grandeur of the building was not realised inside. Some effort had been made to keep it OK but instead of this being an interesting hunt the room experience it was all a bit worn and run down.
The room allocated was not good. We entered into a windowless room with a skylight. The en suite looked good but the room overall was dull and dismal with no natural light. I returned to the reception and they kindly offered to provide another room which turned out to be much better. This room was acceptable, but even this was of budget standard; cracks in the plaster in the bathroom and a broken toilet seat.
We didn't stop for evening meal but visited a local pub down the road called the Wilderbeest (excellent but costly). We did return for a night cap and there were only a couple of guests there.
In the morning we had a shower but the water was tepid. It did heat up after we returned from breakfast so obviously they had turned the water on too late for it to heat in time for morning showers.
The alarm call we arranged did not happen and during breakfast (which was OK, nothing to write home about) a member of staff apologised saying they had mixed it up as we had changed rooms.
On leaving we were asked about our stay and I explained about the lukewarm water and the toilet seat and we were immediately offered a £10 reduction from the bill which was a pleasant gesture and raises my rating to three stars.
In summary then, the building is impressive and interesting, the staff were polite and helpful, but there were too many signs of lack of investment and not enough attention to detail to make this a hotel I would recommend. Its a pity because with the right level of focus I think the place could be a lot better.

Room Tip: Don't accept the skylight room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PSNorthWestUK186378
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We had a family Wedding at Caistor Hall couldn't fault the service. The food was excellent hot and service was quick and friendly. We then had an evening reception with disco there was plenty of room to dance but also we were able to sit in another area to chat. We had the use of 2 bedrooms The Bridal Suite and 1 other the rooms upon talking to a member of staff each bedroom is different, the rooms we used were lovely with four poster beds and beautiful old furniture. The only fault I could find was that a lot of the rooms needed painting and curtain hooks needed putting on some of the curtains and realigning of pelmit folds.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Deidre59
receptionist58, Manager at Caistor Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Thank you for your lovely feedback. I am so delighted that you had a wonderful time at your recent family wedding.
It was a pleasure to host such a special day.

We take great pride in providing wonderful, hot and delicious food coupled with a professional and friendly service, so I am very pleased you enjoyed and experienced this for yourself.

Thank you for the comments regarding the painting and curtain hooks, this is something we are currently taking care of.

We warmly welcome all of our guest feedback, as it is of great help as we continue to provide an exceptional service and an enjoyable experience for all of our guests.

Once again, thank you for your time to provide your feedback.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Caistor Hall, very soon!

Kindest Regards

Jenny Manning
Caistor Hall Hotel

Reviewed October 7, 2013

I experienced a wonderful surprise afternoon tea party for my 50th birthday thanks to my family but also thanks to Nicky and the team at Caistor Hall. This was planned and organised over many months and my husband was very impressed with your help and assistance. The garden room was a perfect setting and you worked in with their special requests and arrangements, well done all round. We had just under 40 guests and it was acclaimed as a novel and overwhelming success. Thank you once again for making it such a special day.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback!!

We were so excited to be part of your 'suprise' and full credit to your Husband and family for the careful preparations and managing to keep it a surprise for so long!!
It was a real pleasure to help, assist and deliver your Birthday Afternoon Tea and what a lovely and very special day!

I am also delighted that you found the staff to be helpful and friendly.
I agree the Garden Room is such a stunning suite overlooking our beautiful gardens. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your day and thank you for allowing us the privilege of hosting this special occasion.

Thank you once again, and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Kindest Regards