“Loved every minute” 5 of 5 bubbles

Caistor Hall Hotel
Ranked #30 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
“Loved every minute”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

warmest congratulations to the hotel for their choice of personnel. They know how to really make you feel at home, and if you need anything it is like asking a family member. Congratulations from the heart, you were fantastic.will definetley come back

• Stayed February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Norwich, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

We got married at Caistor Hall Hotel on 12th January 2013.

On the run up to the big day, the events/wedding management team ensured we had discussed every option and made sure our day would be how we wanted it.

The wedding day could not have been more perfect

Everything was exactly how we wanted/imagined it. The food was great, the staff were friendly, and they ensured the day ran smoothly and how we had planned.

The play-casino the hotel recommended were brilliant.

The bridal sweet was lovely, with a huge 4 poster bed and a Jacuzzi, and the breakfast was delicious.

We will definitely be booking a room to celebrate our 1 year anniversary.

Many thanks to the staff at Caistor Hall Hotel for their help in making our wedding day such a great day.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
receptionist58, Manager at Caistor Hall Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Thank you very much for your lovely feedback and thank you for allowing us the priviledge of hosting and sharing your wonderful day.

You both looked amazing and are such a lovely couple.

Wishing you all the very best of married life and a very happy future together.

Please do keep in contact and we look forward to welcoming you back to caistor Hall Hotel, for your 1st Wedding Anniversary!!!

Many congratulations

Kindest Regards
Jenny Manning
Manager
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

I love the country and this is the perfect place to stay,
so peaceful and quiet.
away from all the noise of the city.
when i arrived for my 1 night i was greeted by a very polite and helpful young lady in the reception. The hotel has 21 bedrooms which all on the first floor.
during my stay i visited the restaurant....the food and service for very good.
i would recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed January 2013
north yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights whilst working in and around Norfolk. As I stay away from home with work most weeks I try and find good independent hotels rather than using impersonal national chains and the Casitor Hall Hotel was a very good find overall.
Nice, grand looking hotel on arrival, plenty of parking, very welcome and helpful upon check-in, room was up and round some twisty corridors but found room quite easily and well signed.
Room was a good size, all frills, free wi-fi (that works well around hotel), very cold though, air conditioner stopped working on 2nd night, single glazing timber windows, bed was comfortable but cold, breakfast was good but an extra £9.95, a little over the top but I got a good room rate so wasn't overly bothered. Will definitely stay here again when working in Norfolk.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Watford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

We held our Wedding at this venue in December 2012. Sorry for the essay but there is quite a bit of feedback, I suggest you read it all!!

The package we chose was perfect us and very reasonably priced. Nicola, the wedding planner, was amazing. She tailor made the package to suit our needs and nothing was too much trouble. The venue is stunning, even in winter. I felt that the decor was beautiful. The table arrangements were amazing and the food was nice. On the build up to the wedding and on the day I found most of the staff to be very helpful.

However, upon reflection and a lot of feedback from our guests, things were not as perfect as we would have wished for on our very special day.

We had specifically requested that the extra wine we were providing and paying £12 per bottle corkage on, was to be used once the drinks package had run out. And all unopened bottles
to be returned to us. But instead, all of the bottles were opened and placed on tables. Which then meant that the wine from the drinks package, we paid £1560 for was never fully served. These drinks were supposed to be placed on the tables, instead a waiter walked round and
offered guests the wine, who of course said no because they had already poured their drinks from the wine placed on the tables. At the end of the evening 3 bottles were returned to us but all opened, so completely wasted.
We paid for a gluten free selection for the evening buffet. At around 10pm a member of staff came up to me to advise that the GF selection was still in the kitchen and to ask for it when we want it. Not sure why it wasn't brought out with the rest of the food. One of the guests had by then gone home hungry.
A lot of the guests complained about how cold it was, my mum even having to sleep in her dressing gown. We were advised after that the boiler had broken, any discount offered? No.

The guests were also very disappointed with the breakfast. At 9.15am the food had run out and they had to ask twice for some more to be brought out and then it cold and not enough. I expect for the price paid for the rooms that these issues should not arise.
The bar staff were a slight problem. Or lack of them!! Some guests had to wait over 10mins for a drink due to the lack of staff. This was a concern of ours after looking at some of the hotels previous reviews. And we were assured this would not be a problem. The glasses were not cleared. One guest was short changed and when he challenged this, he was just ignored. Two of the hotel residents were told that they would not be served at the bar, at the end of the evening, until the Coach House was cleared. Which our paying guests then proceeded to help the staff. To be told at the end of it that they had decided not to keep the bar open.
At one point in the evening I noticed a man skulking around that was not a member of staff or an evening guest. I was then told that he was quite rude to one of my guests and he was the owner!! I would have thought that after making a nice sum profit on a normally quiet Sunday evening that he would have been quite warm and welcoming to the people lining his pockets. You will see from a recent review on trip advisor from one of our wedding party the details of this.
As soon as I walked down the aisle, I didn’t once see any of the planners. I have never been to a wedding where the planner has not been present throughout to ensure all of the requests are carried out and there were a few minor details missed.

I feel that your wedding day is the most important day of your life and one that you will never get back. It upsets me deeply that when I think of the beautiful memories we have of that day, they are marred with not so great memories.
I actually feel quite bad as we convinced our guests to stay at Caistor Hall over Dunston Hall, even though it was considerably more expensive. And after spending our first night alone as newly weds on 10.12.12 and experiencing the level of service they provide, I feel even worse.

I made a complaint to the venue after and the response, which I got after 12 days, I received back was nothing short of insulting. I was told that all of my issues were addressed with the staff and I was told that the issues that me and my 90 guests experienced never happened!! They even went on to sat that the owner was offended by my comments, not as offended as my guest was by his comments!!! I was then offered a complimentary nights stay, which to be honest is a slap in the face for the slightly tarred memories I now have of my special day. I have responded to their email and as of yet heard nothing after 7 days.
Beautiful venue, has many great qualities but somewhat lacking in certain areas of organisation and customer after care. So if its a PERFECT day you want then consider deeply!!

Room Tip: The Bridal suite is lovely!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jodiwalker
receptionist58, Manager at Caistor Hall Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Thank you for your valued feedback regarding your December wedding at Caistor Hall Hotel.

I can confirm that we did indeed receive your initial feedback by email on 20th December 2012. I can also confirm that a response email was immediately sent back to you on 20th December 2012. This acknowledging your email with the following:-

Thank you for your email and for your valued feedback.
I am in the process of investigated the issues you have raised with regards to your wedding day and we are taking it very seriously.
I endeavour to come back to you as soon as possible with a response.
Thank you again for taking the time to email me.

If in the meantime I can be of any further help or assistance please do feel free to contact me.

I would also like to thank you for taking the time to include your lovely comments in your email:-
The venue was stunning!!! Especially all decked out for Xmas. The tables looked amazing, even better than we imagined, well you saw my tearful reaction.
The food was splendid, everyone commented on how tasty it all was. The evening buffet was fab also, so much of it. Compliments to the Chef!!!
And everyone loved the chocolate fountain!!
The bridal suite was lovely and we could not ask for more, other guests in the luxury and luxury superior rooms also stated they had very nice accommodation.
We would also like to thank Laura, Jenny and Nicola who we had various meetings/e-mail correspondence with. They were lovely to deal with and very helpful.
A special thank you to the Master of Ceremonies also, he was great and very patient with the already tipsy guests.
The day was extremely special and one that we don't ever want to forget

I am delighted that you had a wonderful day and I will pass on your thanks accordingly.

A further responding email was sent to you on 31st December 2012.
There were a few issues you also highlighted in your initial email which I wanted to investigate thoroughly to ensure we addressed and cleared up any confusion to give you the correct response. I am sorry that you thought this was a delay on our behalf, but given the festive period in full swing, I needed to be sure my management team were able to address the issues raised and respond to me so I too could respond to you accordingly.

I believe that your issues were addressed and explained in the best way possible. We also tried to offer you a complimentary stay as gesture of goodwill for your valued feedback, however you declined this gesture.

Despite the little issues you also finished your email with:-
Please remember that we still had a magical day, one that we will treasure and would recommend the venue itself as it was beautiful.

I would like to, once again, thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback. I can assure you we take all feedback very seriously.
I am sorry that you feel unsatisfied by the gesture we offered, although I am unaware of the total compensation you were hoping for. Especially when you had such a beautiful day, of which, I would like to thank you for allowing us the privilege of hosting and sharing with you.

Wishing you both all the very best of married life together

Kindest Regards

Jenny Manning
Wedding Manager
Caistor Hall Hotel
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

We went to the New Years Eve party (themed hollywood vintage) and also stayed the night in one of the premium rooms. I must say we had a brilliant night. The staff were courteous and friendly with attentive service. We were greeted with champagne and sat down for an excellent meal. The food was second to none and to be honest i was surprised at how good it really was. They also catered really well for my wife who is a cealiac. We then danced the night away to a mix of live bands and disco. A casio was also in place to fill the void between my excellent dance moves. ;-)

The hotel is looking a bit shabby around the edges but that all adds to the charm. Our room and ensuite were well decorated and very clean. An excellent stay. Thank you.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
norwich
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

My daughter had her wedding here. Our room was like an icebox! Good thing i took my thick dressing gown as it was that cold i had to sleep in it! My daughter had a few issues she brought up after the wedding and was called a liar!!!!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank freedmanac

Travelers are raving about these Norwich hotels