“Lovely food, shame about the side of attitude”

Middletons Steakhouse & Grill Norwich
Reserve with OpenTable
Middletons Steakhouse & Grill Norwich is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 870 Restaurants in Norwich
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located in the centre of Norwich, the stylish steakhouse is perfect for dining or relaxing anytime in the day. All of our meat is delivered fresh everyday from our very own butchery in Middleton, Norfolk, ensuring a delightfully fresh meal each and every time you visit. Our fixed price menu is perfect for a working lunch, a break from shopping or an early dinner, unrivalled at £9.95 for three courses, available Monday to Saturday 12-6pm. And why not check out our delicious Sunday Roast too?
Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

We had a lovely meal and the food was delicious generally. The atmosphere makes it hard to have a conversation without shouting and your ears come out ringing. The staff were pleasant mainly but a bad taste was left in the mouth when or steaks came and the black jumpered waiter said the steak was medium rare, when we had ordered rare to medium. He then proceeded to tell the a la carte chef with 30 years experience and his own restaurant, that it was 'the same thing' oops! (Like saying north north east and north east east are the same. Next time I recommend that the staff are actually knowledgable in the food they are serving. That may sound harsh but did put a bad taste in people's mouths as created a dust ball silence moment.

I might consider coming again as the food was overall ok and much better than Rare.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,973)

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I've long awaited a decent Steakhouse in Norwich - there are places to go if you want steak, but an individual restaurant that caters for that ilk really piqued my interest. It was my birthday last week and having heard about it through TripAdvisor and friends, we decided to have a look.

It has been completely renovated from the previous incarnation which was a sort of Sports bar with buffet restaurant above it, which was very drab. It now looks like a trendy restaurant which is inviting. You can see the kitchen, and they have meat on display in one of the windows which is a nice touch.

We ordered the sticky ribs to share for a starter, which were full of flavour and very tender - it was also a very decent portion. I have read a couple of reviews that say the portion sizes are quite small but we didn't find that at all - we shared a starter and had a main course and were too full for desert!

For main I had the full bodied and very thick fillet steak which I asked for medium-rare - not many places are able to do this correctly without either making it too rare or too overcooked, but this was perfection - it was chargrilled on the outside but beautifully pink in the middle - I avoid asking for full on rare because it is so varying depending on where you go and it was much rarer than other steaks I have asked for this way, but I believe it was cooked how it should be. It was dressed with a salad, tomato and a mushroom that was gorgeous, and you can select to have different potatoes. My boyfriend had the steak and chicken, the latter of which was beautifully seasoned and very tender.

The only slight (very slight) issues I had was that the wine tasted very vinegary - granted it wasn't the most expensive glass, and it was lunchtime so it could have been last night's opened bottle. It was a bit of a shame, but I cannot expect a business to open a bottle each time someone asks for a glass! The other thing was that there was a bit of building work going on, so our meal was interspersed with loud drilling and banging noises - I understand this establishment has not been open long so work is still being done to improve it. However, it wasn't the fault of anyone concerned, just bad timing. The service was prompt and helpful without being overbearing, and I had a nice chat with the waitress about getting older (we went on my birthday). The atmosphere was a bit lacking, but we went after lunchtime (the restaurant is open from 12-late, but one wonders whether they will be able to sustain this) and I have heard from others and the waitress that it gets very busy, so booking advisable unless it's a lunchtime jaunt.

Overall, it was a very decent restaurant with reasonable prices. Hopefully it will stay around; I will be recommending it to those I know. It probably isn't the best place to go if you like light, airy meals, or are vegetarian - there were not many options, but I suppose the clue is in the name.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

There were 4 of us in the party 2 has starters Thai fish cakes and Crayfish cocktail both well presented and tasty,had to wait an hour after starters arrived for main courses waitress apologetic but meant another bottle of wine! Might have been good to offer a complimentary drink! Good mains although Steak and Sticky ribs a bit "ready mealish" . Steak and Chips were good , Puddings were very dissapointing and straight from the factory, Sticky Toffee pudding was a slice of sugary mush with the Toffee topping crystlised, Chocolate brownie a big lump of stodgy cake and ice cream best described as "Mums been to Iceland"

Reviewed January 17, 2013

I have visited three times in a month, it's that good!

Highly recommend the Crayfish Cocktail starter and the soda bread is just yum. Last time we had the set menu, there was a good choice and my three teenage boys devoured there food in record time.

Nice touch with the umbrella when it was snowing, thank you.

Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

Saw the lovely Yorkshire puddings in the window looked at menu (a few veggie options mostly halloumi based) went in for Sunday dinner. 2x veggie diners and 2x meat lovers.

We told there was no veggie option on the toast and not offered an alternate on the menu. Ordered the halloumi skewers which were very dull with little flavourings.

On kids menu the tomato pasta was just that pasta with what tasted like just passata. No vegetables, no herbs nothing.

We ate everything and it was okay but just that okay. Good for a lunch when out shopping but won't be going back for Sunday lunch.

Like a lot of places they seem to be ticking the veggie box but not really putting in much effort. Many families/groups eating out have at least 1 veggie and it seems silly not to be able to include them.