“My new favourite!”

Prime
Ranked #14 of 856 Restaurants in Norwich
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Tucked away within a chocolate-box setting, Prime at The Edith Cavell in Norwich offers chunky prime-cut steaks and a selection of grilled seafood. Food is served on a sizzling hot stone, where diners can cook their food to personal perfection.
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Popped in on the off chance there would be a table available... Fortunately they managed to squeeze myself and my partner in. As a big lover of both steak and eating out I have to say I always have high expectations and I definitely wasn't let down. Steak was delicious and the idea of cooking it yourself was brilliant! I read in previous reviews about the lack of ventilation and smoke but I did not experience anything of the sort! The food smelt absolutely amazing and the busy atmosphere was great. My partner had the mussels which she said were delicious. All in all it was one of the best meals I have experienced in Norwich, the staff were genuinely friendly, not too overtop and it was fantastic value for money. Will be visiting again!

1  Thank Robert G

Reviewed January 23, 2014

On the offchance that we might get a table in this usually busy restaurant, we wandered in just in time to get the last one available last night - and so glad we did.

Its small, intimate, and as previously noted in other reviews, warm and cosy. The serving/eating concept of bringing your meat sizzling on a 380degree hot volcanic rock is great - especially in that it allows you to finish your steak just how you like it (the rock was still hot enough to cook with when we'd finished our meals !) so I could cook mine medium well while my partner did hers rare.

Super tasty salad, and the rest complimented by a broad choice of butters and sauces ... Mmmm all the way round.

I have to add to this that the service was impeccable. Erin looked after us, and every other table as well, so efficiently that you barely noticed she was there, but everyone dining was served on time, with the right food, and just the perfect degree of customer service. Well done Erin - you deserve a raise !

1  Thank Andrew R
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Lovely to find this restaurant very near to The Cathedral in Norwick. On a cold evening, it was warm and cosy. The food was very tasty, my minute steak definitely recommended.

1  Thank BrodRobt
Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

The steaks served in volcanic rocks were interesting but the sauces that goes with it are not the most appetising sauces I've ever had.

I think the staff could've put a bit more effort with their uniform. One of them was just wearing a polo shirt.

The steaks are flavourless so bear in mind that you have to put salt and pepper on the meat which I don't usually had to do and make use of the sauces available otherwise it would be very bland!!!

Overall, I don't go to restaurants to cook my own dinner and season it myself. I'd go to Middleton's if I were you, the steaks are made to perfection and very flavoursome too!!!

1  Thank Dior26
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Visited for the first time tonight. Started with mussels in white wine/cream/garlic sauce. They were truly delicious, up there with the best I've ever had. I had the rib eye steak served sizzling on a hot stone. The meat was really good quality, and the Stilton sauce to accompany was excellent. The chips were good too. The staff were excellent. Friendly, efficient and helpful without being 'over the top'. The restaurant itself is small without being in any way cramped, is very tastefully furnished and decorated, and is spotlessly clean. I would have rated Prime as five stars, if it wasn't for the lack of ventilation. As most of the food is served sizzling on a hot stone in cook at the table style, this otherwise lovely restaurant really really needs some decent ventilation and an extractor fan, as the room soon becomes filled with smoke/steam. I noticed when I came home that my clothes had absorbed the smell, and I smelt like I'd been to a BBQ. A plea to the management:- this place is a gem. Please sort the ventilation!!! That said, I would go back without hesitation and can highly recommend Prime.

1  Thank jaydeejnr