“£5 pasta lunchtime treat”
Review of Jamie's Italian

Jamie's Italian
Ranked #199 of 880 Restaurants in Norwich
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: JAMIE'S ITALIAN NORWICH A partnership between Jamie Oliver and his Italian mentor, chef Gennaro Contaldo, Jamie's Italian has won thousands of fans for its delicious and affordable food since launching their first restaurant in Oxford in May 2008. The Jamie's Italian menu is based on dishes you'd find people eating all over Italy, made with care but delivered without fuss. The family-friendly restaurants are all about serving up rustic, Italian food made using the best possible ingredients, plus fresh pasta that's made on-site every day, and an award-winning children's menu, too. The Royal Arcade's gorgeous art nouveau style brings a touch of pure class to this elegant Jamie's Italian. The two-storey restaurant in Norwich seats more than 250 people and is ideally located in the middle of the city centre's main shopping area. Jamie's Italian Norwich is a great spot for anything from a mid-shopping pit stop or a casual dinner with friends to an intimate meal or a big celebration.
Reviewed August 10, 2014

I visited with a friend to take advantage of the £5 pasta meal. I ordered the tomato and pasta dish and my friend the tagliatelle bolognaise.

We did not have to wait long for our food and it was very nicely presented. Whilst my meal was nice it was quite bland, I preferred what my friend had!

The restaurant is nicely decorated, there is lots of seating and we found the staff helpful and friendly. I would go back again but would order something else next time.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,241)

Reviewed August 10, 2014

At our request, my mother and father in law kindly treated us to a meal at Jamie Oliver's Italian restaurant in Norwich for our 15th wedding anniversary - we've never been to one and were quite excited. They took us reluctantly though because my father in law can't stand Jamie Oliver apparently due to an insulting remark he made about Bernard Mathews products once [my father in law was an engineer for Bernard Mathews factories and translator for him in Hungary when he consulted on turkey factories years back] so we were rather worried when he revelaed this, not to mention the fact that there was a large graduation group sitting in our part of the restaurant upstairs so it was likely to be busy noisy and raised concerns before we even sat down. We were pleasantly surprised though. Despite the hectic and busy night which created a buzz and atmosphere for us, the service was relaxed, friendly, 'casually smart' and professional in a very personable way. We loved every minute and were made to feel very special with a free glass of bubbly and special happy anniversary messary written in delicious chocolate sauce on our dessert plate - my husband even had two main courses it was so delicious - so we can recommend the speciality prawn chilli linguini dish big time! We were escorted in a lift as my father in law could not get up the stairs, the price was good value foodwise but watch what you drink as alcohol and teas/coffees can be surprisingly expensive. A great night for a special occasion.

Reviewed August 10, 2014

Disappointing, not much flavour and not much to eat either! Thank goodness it was with an offer, I would have been annoyed if it had been full price! Was tempted to have dessert as I was still hungry but declined as they were more expensive than my main plus they were out of most of them, leaving little choice.

Reviewed August 9, 2014

Down in Great Yarmouth for a break and popped in for a meal celebrating Matthews birthday tomorrow and Stephens. Service, staff and the food were excellent

Reviewed August 7, 2014

Popped in for a late lunch this week and had a very mixed experience only saved by the food. We asked for a table for two and were told the wait would be 20 minutes (no problem) and were given a pager. We sat in the waiting area but was not offered a menu to look at or a drink while we waited. Over the 20-30 minute wait the people who were waiting before us were asked to go through but then people who had been waiting only a few minutes (and did not have pagers) were asked to got through by various waiters appearing from the upstairs restaurant. We then mentioned this to one of the waiters and within a minute the pager went off and we were taken to a table upstairs where there were lost of available tables.

Again we weren't asked if we wanted a drink and it took a further 10 minutes before we were asked to order. We asked for the restaurant's own brewed lager but were told that they had run out of it. The drink we ordered took a further 10 minutes to come and whilst the glass was cold the beer was warm.

The positive note was that the food was delicious (we had the meatballs) but the experience was spooled by a very chaotically run restaurant. Waiters seemed to appear both upstairs and downstairs and didn't seem to look after one set of tables; a table to the left of us didn't get the bread they ordered and cancelled it as it was too late and the table to the right asked for both the starter and the main together but had nearly finished the starter when the main came. Tables weren't cleared until the flow of people started to quiet down. The lady who looked after our table worked very hard but seemed to have far too much to do.

Overall, a very chaotic and frustrating experience, saved by some good food