“Interesting.........”

Jamie's Italian
Ranked #96 of 848 Restaurants in Norwich
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: JAMIE'S ITALIAN NORWICH A partnership between Jamie Oliver and his Italian mentor, chef Gennaro Contaldo, Jamie's Italian has won thousands of fans for its delicious and affordable food since launching their first restaurant in Oxford in May 2008. The Jamie's Italian menu is based on dishes you'd find people eating all over Italy, made with care but delivered without fuss. The family-friendly restaurants are all about serving up rustic, Italian food made using the best possible ingredients, plus fresh pasta that's made on-site every day, and an award-winning children's menu, too. The Royal Arcade's gorgeous art nouveau style brings a touch of pure class to this elegant Jamie's Italian. The two-storey restaurant in Norwich seats more than 250 people and is ideally located in the middle of the city centre's main shopping area. Jamie's Italian Norwich is a great spot for anything from a mid-shopping pit stop or a casual dinner with friends to an intimate meal or a big celebration.
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Pleasant staff, but our waitress would keep calling my daughter and I 'girls'. My choice of belly of pork on roasted vegetables was disappointing; no crackling on the pork and some of the tiny vegetable pieces were unidentifiable as they were so roasted they wilted into obscurity. When I pointed this out to the waitress she offered to get me some more! The shared lemon dessert was delicious. I couldn't help but notice the way some food being served was carried perilously near bosoms and midriffs; a pile of clean plates was actually perched against a waitress' body as she transported them. The setting in the Royal Arcade is lovely, but unless you can get a 'window seat' you can't enjoy it and I agree upstairs is canteen-like.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

My husband took me and two friends to Jamies for our first trip for my birthday dinner. We arrived late after a cinema visit and were shown upstairs where two other birthday groups were celebrating. They have done an amazing job on the decor and I remember it well when it was Waterstones. After all the hype and the long wait to go there the food was a little disappointing - overcooked, small portions, many items missing from the menu on a Sunday evening. However, the ambience was good and the staff very friendly. Maybe a little overpriced but overall an enjoyable evening. Might not rush back though.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Our visit was on Sunday afternoon with the first floor all to our selves apart from one other group so service was good,a ten per cent service charge is automatically added to your bill so if your service is crap you still have to pay for it.I knew the food would be expensive but expected a high quality meal,did i get one ? in a word, no.I saw how tiny the pasta dishes the other diners had, so ordered chicken that was supposed to have been cooked with spices and herbs garnished with salad leaves and sounded really nice,i added to that a portion of Jamie's "posh chips". what came out for me was a small blackened breast joint sitting next to a few bits of greenery,the chips were served in a cup! i counted them, thirteen chips - unlucky for some.yes - me for paying four and a half quid for them.My friend had ordered a starter which was brought out on a plank of wood balanced on tomato cans!Part of this platter was salad served in a dolls size six c.m wide saucer .My wife had the most expensive burger she has ever eaten,at least she said it was nice.Another member of our group had sea food pasta from the specials board which materialised to be a few mussels sitting on top of some plain watery pasta.The final staw was the "local ale",as a lover of real ale i was pleased to see two beers available but then angered that it wasnt even slightly chilled and in fact at room temprature (21.C instead of a cool 6C) and they wanted five pound twenty for it! If you have more money than sense go to Jamies.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Very disappointing. Not the first visit but previously the food had been underwhelming so I felt I would give it one more go.
The place is very, very busy and I was told a 2 1/2 hr restriciton is in place on tables, even for families?
I have spent quite a lot of time in Italy so have come to expect Italian restaurants to provide food which bares at least some resemplance to what the mother country has iven the world.
Unfortunately Jamies (at least in Norwich) does not do that.
One should not go to places like this and expect cheap food BUT it is not too much to expect decent value for the menu prices.
Jamies does not deliver on that either.
The American style waiter/waitress service put me off a bit.
My food arrived ( the restaurant was packed ) but it looked for all the world that it had come out of a´boil in the bag' kitchen.
I will not be returning for some time.
Sorry Jamie this does NOT live up to the TV expectation

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Went here with friends expecting this to be a really nice night out with good food. Disappointingly average and really expensive for the quality of food served. Atmosphere was more canteen than restaurant. The 'rustic' theme perhaps taken a bit too far. No flexibility offered on the menu either, I asked for an ingredient to be omitted from my starter but was told that could not be done, unusual for a restaurant do that. Food came out really quickly too, suggests many dishes already prepared in advance. Side orders so expensive for the quantity, and these are needed as the mains aren't too big either.