“Delicious Gourmet Breakfast”
Review of The Reading Rooms - CLOSED

The Reading Rooms
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Reading Rooms is a family-run Gourmet Cafe committed to providing delicious food and drink. At our cafe in Nelson Street you will always be sure of a warm welcome. We pride ourselves on great service, great food and a fabulous atmosphere. We will always endeavor to supply local, free-range food wherever possible. Try our Norfolk sausages made exclusively for us less than a quarter of a mile away, that really is local! Our cakes are all made on the premises - try our Croissant Bread Pudding with Whiskey and White Chocolate or our handmade Beetroot and Dark Chocolate Ice Cream. Call to check what vegetarian, gluten free and lactose free dishes are being served on the day. Thank you to all our Tripadvisor reviewers
Reviewed August 10, 2013

For us everything about this place is absolutely perfect; informal, relaxed atmosphere, friendly & helpful staff and superbly cooked, locally sourced food. Husband enjoyed a "smaller" English breakfast, still an ample portion for his large appetite and I chose the eggs Benedict, which was quite honestly was the best I have eaten anywhere - and I really have sampled a few.
We took a delicious looking slice of cake home too, which was equally tasty. Will be back for lunch or dinner in the next couple of weeks.
This place is a real winner and I hope it stays this way as it deservedly grows in popularity .

Reviewed August 4, 2013

After reading the reviews , whilst in Norwich I made a point of visiting with my family and so glad I did. It certainly lived up to expectations. What a fantastic way to start a Sunday morning before spending the day in Southwold on the Beech.

1  Thank Kelloggs66
Reviewed August 2, 2013

There are many magnificent things about this place. It's clean. I was really pleased to witness the menus and tables being given a good going-over after our neighbours vacated, and there was no sneaky wiping of cutlery and popping it back on the table after it had been on the floor.

The food is imaginatively magnificent. I had a "light" veggie breakfast - which was massive! - and it was quick and delightful. The egg was creamy, the veggie pudding was delicious, and I don't know what trickery they employ to make the toast so perfect but I believe it's the best I have ever tasted.

The service was friendly and unobtrusive. I would have had another drink had it been offered, but there was no doubt about the efficiency and no waiting around for customers here.

One thing I hope is a typo is the (V) next to the smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel on the menu. There is, after all, a world of difference between pescetarianism and vegetarianism. I'm under the happy impression that The Reading Rooms is a vegetarian-friendly place and (V) to me, and thousands of others, means no meat or fish. In fairness, the title of the dish does explicitly indicate its content.

It's not cheap, in either sense of the word - but next time - and there will certainly be a next time - I'll order something smaller.

For a delicious and generous, sophisticated and friendly breakfast, in relaxed, pleasant surroundings, then, I wholeheartedly recommend The Reading Rooms.

1  Thank HambleHaus
pgloverdarke, Owner at The Reading Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

First - let me address the issue of the errant (v), yes it was a typo and has now been corrected on our new menu. Sorry about that!

Secondly, the toast is no secret, we use a simple recipe, we grill it using virgin olive oil. We are so please you enjoyed it. Like our toast we use only the finest ingredients so we hope we offer value for money. We are proud to say we are not cheap.

Sorry you weren't offered another cup of coffee next time you come in have one on us.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Thursday nights appear to have become the chefs chance to show case her native cuisine and shine she does! After a slight disappointment that ribs were not available on the "Oriental Street food" menu as they had sold out already we lauched into large plates of great looking nibbles! All freshly prepared dishes included meatballs, chicken skewers, sticky rice and the best fish cake/ balls I've had. All this served with a nice mild chilli sauce ... if you want the hot stuff just ask!

1  Thank Tim D

Great review thanks

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Taken out by our daughter and new husband we had a really pleasant meal and the prices and service were great.A beer in The Fat Cat opposite was the icing on the cake..well done.

Thanks for your lovely words