“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

01603 766137
Website
Improve this listing
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Reservations, Seating
Description: The Reading Rooms is a family-run Gourmet Cafe committed to providing delicious food and drink. At our cafe in Nelson Street you will always be sure of a warm welcome. We pride ourselves on great service, great food and a fabulous atmosphere. We will always endeavor to supply local, free-range food wherever possible. Try our Norfolk sausages made exclusively for us less than a quarter of a mile away, that really is local! Our cakes are all made on the premises - try our Croissant Bread Pudding with Whiskey and White Chocolate or our handmade Beetroot and Dark Chocolate Ice Cream. Call to check what vegetarian, gluten free and lactose free dishes are being served on the day. Thank you to all our Tripadvisor reviewers
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

1 Norfolk breakfast, 2 veggie breakfasts, 1 spicy fish cakes. All excellent. Great, friendly service. We've already booked for a Thai meal in July.

• 5 of 5 stars
pgloverdarke, Owner at The Reading Rooms, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thanks you so much

Peterborough, United Kingdom
“A little gem...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Here is an establishment that does a fantastic amount to put a smile on your face. On one of the hottest days of the year I decided a trip to Norwich was necessary and I wanted to start the day with a good breakfast. Quick look at Tripadvisor and The Reading Room seemed like a good option. Easy to find with the SatNav. Easy to park in the surrounding streets. Great service and some of the nicest food and drink I've been subjected to in a long while, at very reasonable prices.
I don't think many will disagree with me when I say that it's becoming increasingly hard to find an establishment that doesn't cut every imaginable corner in search of higher profits and in doing so, end up offering such mediocrity that a little piece of you dies inside when you pay the bill. This is NOT one of those places! This is a restaurant that renews your faith in small business owners: the kind that do things their way.
I had the Gourmet Breakfast (light option) with a pot of Egyptian Tea. I cannot rave enough about how we were treated and how much love and care goes in to the food. I'll definitely be back whenever in the area and anyone reading this should try The Reading Room, if for no other reason than see how it should be done.

• 5 of 5 stars
Your review is much appreciated.
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Delightful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

What a delightful way to while away a few hours.
Sampling various things off the menu on a number of occasions, their breakfast left both me and my friend entirely replete, and their steak sandwich always hits the spot.
What a relief to find a place which can supply an array of properly decent coffee, soya and all catered for.
So glad to find a new home from home!
Warm friendly atmosphere, with a sense of European hospitality

Thanks
“nice local cafe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I had breakfast in a sunny day just at the front outside of the reading rooms. The food was tasty and the service friendly. I did not find it exceptional and I was a little bit put off by the absence of freshly squeezed juices in the menu. I'd easily go back though as it looks like a promising place.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Perhaps you should come in on a day when you are in a better mood.
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Refreshing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

It's always good to go to the Reading Rooms - the service there is refreshingly friendly which can be unusual for a UK restaurant. They don't make you feel like you disturbed their day by showing up, the food is well priced, excellently cooked and presented, and the staff seem to actually be passionate about food and serving people. Please support them, and help me to insist they play some nice light jazz and not the radio - my only criticism.

• Visited June 2013