The Beeches Lodge
$70
$125
  • Pool
$150
The Old Rectory(Thorpe St Andrew)
$144
$130
$92
Dunston Hall(Stoke Holy Cross)
$103
$98
Barnham Broom(Barnham Broom)
$227
$204
Travelocity
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 4, 2012

copy of lettter of complaint

It was my misfortune to book into your ‘hotel’ for nights of 21st and 22nd of September 2012.
When I booked, I was not told that there is no reception, no staff to show me where my room was located. We spent 45 minutes in the rain trying to gain access to The Beeches. Another guest told us to put in 606060 and finally we got in only to find that room 8 is not inside the main building. More fruitless search for staff and still in the rain. We call the emergency number only to get an answer-phone. Eventually we are shown the location our room on the outside of the building. The roomed smelled of damp, the windows are all blocked out except for one tiny window so there is no natural light. The shower is in the bedroom not a separate bathroom. The toilet door does not close properly. There is nowhere to hang clothes and nowhere to put damp towels – not that we got to that stage. When I complained about the state of affairs over on the telephone, a cleaner was dispatched and told to spray bleach everywhere so now I had a bleach smelling room. The springs of the mattress could be felt even through the duvet, the single pillows were exceedingly thin. When we returned from the theatre we could not use the keypad to get in as there is no light outside.

We did not stay but went home. Your staff can verify that the bed was not slept in.
Why did we choose The Beeches? Because many years ago before MJB got hold of it, my son had stayed there and found it charming with a nice restaurant. Secondly we had theatre tickets and we could walk to the theatre. Although the Late Rooms does state that there is no restaurant – there is still a website for The Beeches which, shows it does have one.

This was supposed to be a lovely weekend in Norwich for my husband’s 76th birthday. We had arranged for friends to join us for dinner the following night in Norwich. Instead we were wet, tired, frustrated and disappointed and had a late night drive home.

Had any of the circumstances been evident at the time of booking I would not have taken the room.

I want a full refund. The woman who answered your office phone kept parroting about no refund – that is only applicable if you deliver the service paid for. You did not. There was no hint of an apology from anyone.

Room Tip: Take a torch!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Annie B
Reviewed September 26, 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE! We were meant to stay in an apartment with the MJB Group however a week before we went we received an email saying that we could not stay there because of maintenance problems, so we were moved to the beeches lodge in rooms 25&28! Well room 28 was shocking mould growing up the wall, the smell of damp was horrendous, there was only 3 of us so we dragged the mattress from room 28 to room 25 because room 28 was unbearable! We got into room 25 and realised the tv did not work so rang someone who was so RUDE!! They got someone out in 15mins in which he fixed the TV and cleaned room 28 not to a great standard though! In the room 25 we had one half used toilet roll, and someone had taken the batteries out of the tv remote which had not been replaced, the pillows are paper thin, and hardly worth sleeping on! The hotel is also being used as a knocking shop by foreign women which is absolutley disgusting! We was waiting in the lobby for a taxi at about 10pm and a very guilty looking man came out of one of their rooms with a very red face and made a quick exit! I WOULD NEVER EVER STAY HERE AGAIN! we asked for our money back cause of the poor state of the rooms in which they said it was non transferable! I believe environmental health should be informed of the state of the room!

Room Tip: DONT STAY IN ANY OF THE ROOMS! They need the hotel inspector in!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Beth3105
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I will reserve the label "terrible" for the really really bad - this was only averagely bad. I can only reiterate the complaints aired elsewhere on Tripadvisor - damp, grubby, uncomfortable etc. My colleague had a much worse time, being situated in a room next to the new fire alarm system which made a continuous oscillating whine during her stay (it was eventually rectified after some forceful telephone calls to the obstructive and unhelpful 12-year old on the emergency line). The only positive thing to say was that it was convenient for the really excellent pub and newly opened bistro over the road (a review of this will shortly be written) which also did a very welcome breakfast. I would recommend avoiding this place if ever you chance to be in the otherwise fine city of Norwich.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We arrived at the beeches for our one night stay, there was no recption to get our keys,and after several phone calls to I believe manchester, we were told we should have recieved our key codes by e-mail. Well after waiting two hours we got our codes by text, but now which house are the codes for, quandry; . We luckily met a guest who informed us that there was an office at the back of the building. Office door was slightly ajar so i opened the door to gain entry and was told I could not enter office , Itold the ladies in the office that I now had two key codes but had no idea which room we were allowcated .
The room was not very clean, the duvets looked old worn and dirty.
The pillows were as thin as biscuits, lights in bathroom over sink did not work, the roller blind in the bathroom was broked , the whole system is a complete mess, You only go there once and you will never go there again

Room Tip: Just dont go there, its awful
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank edward k
Reviewed March 12, 2012

No curtain at the bathroom window, which is overlooked by another room. Shower door handle broken. No complimentary shower stuff. Only 1 teabag and 1 milk - no teaspoon. Carpet was filthy and covered in hair. Plus very noisy, due to other guests in the corridor, banging doors and shouting, and outside (ROOM 27) smoking.. overall very disappointed, completely ruined my weekend.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo