“Our stay at a mjb hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Beeches Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Norwich
The Beeches Lodge
Ranked #42 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
bexhill-on sea east sussex
“Our stay at a mjb hotel”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We arrived at the beeches for our one night stay, there was no recption to get our keys,and after several phone calls to I believe manchester, we were told we should have recieved our key codes by e-mail. Well after waiting two hours we got our codes by text, but now which house are the codes for, quandry; . We luckily met a guest who informed us that there was an office at the back of the building. Office door was slightly ajar so i opened the door to gain entry and was told I could not enter office , Itold the ladies in the office that I now had two key codes but had no idea which room we were allowcated .
The room was not very clean, the duvets looked old worn and dirty.
The pillows were as thin as biscuits, lights in bathroom over sink did not work, the roller blind in the bathroom was broked , the whole system is a complete mess, You only go there once and you will never go there again

Room Tip: Just dont go there, its awful
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank edward k

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
scarborough, uk
Reviewed March 12, 2012

No curtain at the bathroom window, which is overlooked by another room. Shower door handle broken. No complimentary shower stuff. Only 1 teabag and 1 milk - no teaspoon. Carpet was filthy and covered in hair. Plus very noisy, due to other guests in the corridor, banging doors and shouting, and outside (ROOM 27) smoking.. overall very disappointed, completely ruined my weekend.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank gilly1sugar
Reviewed December 21, 2011

Ive no words to discribe these MJB Hotels hence ive created a facebook page to post your experiences Find it as "Avoid Mjb Hotels-Norwich". This page is dedicated to put the truth out there about how shambolic, unclean and rude the mjb people are.

• Stayed December 2011
8 Thank malloh06
London
Reviewed October 30, 2011

We had 3 rooms booked to stay in after a wedding. 1 of the rooms was as described and I would have been happy to stay there except the shower didn't work at all. The 2nd room was ok but did have some damp, luckily not near the beds. Our room had beds built against a wall which was damp to about a foot above the mattress to the extent that my clothes were wet touching it. We couldn't see this at night with the lighting but spent the night feeling damp and itchy. In the end I dosed up on some painkillers I had to make me sleep and opened the window to help ease the smell but my boyfriend spent the night kept awake by loud groups of youths, a few of which saw our window open and it seemed at one point like they were going to come into the hotel that way!

In the morning we called MJB and told them about the problem. They sent a guy who was very nice to look at it but when he called them they were trying to get him to pull the beds away from the wall and when he couldn't do that they suggested z beds which would mean no walking space at all. They then suggested we put a mattress in each of the other rooms with my mum and dad and brother and his girlfriend.

Eventually after seeing pictures they conceded that they would give me a refund for the second night but wouldn't refund me for the night I'd stayed because I hadn't called them up at 1:30am and complained and I'd slept there.

It seems to be pot luck but I would avoid because if you end up with a bad one then the customer service is terrible. The shower in my parents' room wasn't fixed so they had to use my brother's and there weren't any alternative rooms. It really isn't even worth the £33 a night it cost.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jenna P
newcastle upon tyne
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I booked this hotel in a hurry after receiving an e mail from MJB telling me my previous booking had been cancelled due to a payment problem. I was a little concerned when I received an e mail with my 'entrance code', which means the hotel has no on site staff, no reception etc. I arrived at 4pm, which was the agreed arrival time in the e mail, let myself into the hotel and wandered around looking for my room, when I stumbled upon it the door was wedged open and I could see the remains of a KFC and a bottle of vodka on the bedside table. After the train journey I was tempted in all honesty, but I thought better of it in the end. I was intercepted by a young man who had just come running up the stairs and he told me he was cleaning another room and this one was due to be done next; the lad had no uniform or badge to identify him as a member of MJB staff which was a little worrying. I notified MJB by e mail of this, but they never got back to me. I suggested I wait in a pub across the road to which the lad looked relieved.

As it happens I didn't return until later that evening, when I did I found a pokey room, a cheap uncomfortable bed (double), 2 very flat pillows, a wardrobe made from 2 sheets of MDF screwed to the wall to form a box with no front on it?, a window with a rather severe damp problem (see pics), the shower room was clean, although again severe damp around the window and ceiling, the shower still had the last visitors used shampoo sachets in it and the complimentary toiletries consisted of 4 sachets of shampoo scattered across the shelf. There were no additional pillows and no reception to go to in order to ask for more.

I stayed 2 nights. After the first night I was a little apprehensive about leaving my things in the room because of the key code access. When i returned to the room the following evening it was abundently clear that no-one had been in to tidy, everything was exactly where i left it. No change of towels or bed making, and the cup i had used to amke a coffee in was still dirty and on the bedside table.

In defence of this hotel I booked it through laterooms.com and got it for £26 a night which I agree is cheap, however I still feel it is excessive given the standard of the hotel. Having done some research I found the MJB website and the hotel is listed at £90 a night for a double room which actually made me laugh when I read it.

The fire evacuation plan on the back of the door had been screwed into place upside down which exemplifies the slap dash approach to the running of the hotel.

Finally I notice that another reviewer of The Lodge who described it as "Not bad at all" later goes on to say that it "smelled ok". Need I say more?

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank stuart m
Reviewed September 12, 2011

For the money, convience, free parking and somewhere to lay your head this is a good place.

• Stayed October 2010
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2011

The room was fine, very clean, warm, and with comfy beds. Smelt ok, decor was well above average. Building was in good shape. 10 minute walk into the City centre. This hotel is slap bang in the centre of the Golden Triangle with some fantastic pubs scattered around. We paid £20 each per night for a totally fine room. Would recommend for that price.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends