“Wedding Reception”

Ranked #22 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Wedding Reception”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

A truly fantastic setting for a wedding reception but several issues that let it down.

1) The Steak meal I was served was uneatable and the vegetables were dried out and uneatable, I could net get a knife through the steak I had (burnt on the outside and raw and cold in the middle) and full of gristle.

2) The cost of soft drinks for children and teenagers £3.20 for a large glass of lemonade & 75p for a dash.

3) At 22:00 they ran out of ice.

4) Shortage of bar staff it took ages to get served.

5) Breakfast was a shambles when they finally put the bread out for toast there was no butter to be found, when we asked for it we were told there was butter substitute on the tables. NO sorry toast calls for butter!!

All in all if they get these problems solved it would a great location, shame wee did not get the things we expected.

Room Tip: We had a family lodge and it was first class.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Reviewed September 9, 2013

When I'm arrivived, during the night, there were a very loud party in the Groundfloor and little garden.. my first thougt was: "Amazing, I'm tired about the long trip, when will I can sleep? Tomorrow I have to wake up early to see the university without sleeping!?"
I've ordered a beer with my friends at the bar and is arrived a cider.. maybe my pronunce wasn't correct and there was loud
in 10-15 minutes I was returned in my bedroom,
the bathroom seemed an archaeological find of World War II and on the bed I've found white spots on a cushion!!!
but this was nothing.. the breakfas was more FAST than break: when I'm sitted on a 4 places table and I've founded 2 glass, 3 forks and 2 kinevs all dirty and some zones of the table was like glue.. too sticky..
I'm returned in my bedroom, made my bags, paid and run away from that bloody hell..!!!

Room Tip: there are a lot of other Hotel in Norwich, why Oaklands Hotel? probably because you hate yourself...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Bonomins

Travelers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2013

the room photo bore no resemblance whatsoever to the tiny room full of mis-matched furniture I was given. the bathroom had gaps in the tiles...smelt like a sewer and hairs in the bath. and there was NOT a shaver point...or a 3 pin socket... the bed was old lumpy and uncomfortable...not that there was the chance to sleep anyway... the oversize marquee under my window had a wedding party (on a Thursday night) with loud music until midnight...and people talking loudly and smoking until 2am.
the fried breakfast was sparse...but the lady in charge of the breakfast room very nice...brought coffee quickly...although half way through 2 cleaners turned up with vacuum cleaners and proceeded to noisily clean the adjoining function room....
on the plus side...only £54 with breakfast...free wifi...free parking...

Room Tip: ?????... go somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank paul t
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2013

The lodges were fine, very very clean and well proportioned with a lounge, small kitchen area, good sized bedroom and large bathroom with bath and shower. No complaints there. The staff we spoke to were a mixed bunch, some very polite and some less so. When we tried to book a room initially the receptionist looked at us like we were mad, then told us to go on line and do it. There was a strong smell of cabbage and the dining area was "sticky". We were attending a wedding which was great for us but I felt for people staying there as non wedding guests, I think it must have been very noisy. We didn't try the regular hotel food, but the wedding reception food was fine and there was a reasonable breakfast the next morning. Would not stay there again but unless we had been going to a wedding we wouldn't have stayed in the first place. Shame as the lodges are really nice, the hotel lets them down. Above all else, ask if there's a wedding or function on the night you want to stay. Location by the river is excellent, really nice.

Room Tip: Go for a lodge away from the main hotel, quieter and you get an outside space.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Setting:

A private road up a hill leads to the hotel and the ample car park which is free. The main building has accommodation in rooms and there are lodges next to the hotel each of which comprises of a living room, a bedroom, a bathroom, a patio area which leads down to a private garden. The hotel is well-shielded from the main road and trees and rich vegetation. It has the potential to be a very restful place......

We found the area near the lodges to be littered and quite dirty. This includes the outdoor unheated pool which was covered up and looked most unsightly with beer bottles, grime and filth in general. An attempt has been made to create a restful garden in this area but the whole is unkempt. There is a no smoking policy within the hotel and we found ash trays full to the brim in areas where smoking is allowed (our patio area had not been cleaned before our arrival).

Reception and Service:

A pleasant reception welcome and both quick check in and check out.

Service at breakfast was cordial.

Breakfast experience:

Pretty average English fare in a clean and well-maintained dining room. There is a choice of tinned prunes or grapefruit, the usual breakfast cereals and a cooked breakfast - all buffet service - best to give most of the dishes a miss - overcooked and mostly processed meats.

Accommodation:

We had one of the lodges and although the space is ample our stay was not a pleasant one. There was much noise from the lodge above (till 3.00 am), the area was not cool ( a small mini fan was provided), noise from trains and traffic together with the most uncomfortable and noisy hotel bed made for very poor sleep. In fact I was forced to sleep on the couch in the lounge! However, good quality bed linen provided.

Wardrobe had a musty smell and this part of the lodge needs some serious airing.

Fortunately the bathroom experience was a pleasant one. Deep, clean towels, a powerful shower head, basic but good quality toiletries. Bring your own shower cap. No hand rails so be careful when leaving the shower.

On the plus side the hotel provides free wi fi and the connection was good.

This hotel needs tweaking here and there and it could be a little gem.....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Harleston, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We came here for a wedding reception, and have to say found the place poor.
The first thing was that there was not any parking as they were running 2 weddings at the same time, I noticed the guests from one wedding entering the others venue, not very classy.
The decor throughout was of the 1980's and not very inviting. The toilets were also worse for wear. In the middle of these 2 weddings was the restaurant for guests of the hotel. Not good for either parties. The food was OK but a little underdone. A sign said as you entered " Music until midnight sorry if it keeps you awake" said it all.
It seems they tried to get as much into the place without thinking about the customer experience.
Overall would I recommend this place, No there are much better places in Norwich.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gary T
Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

my wife and I booked this august bank holiday to celebrate our anniversary, there were two weddings at the hotel on the Saturday and two more events on the sunday, if I knew this I would not have booked at this hotel, he amount of people worse the ware for drink, driving out of the car park, one of them even reversed into the side of my car causing damage, the hotel accepts no responsibility, then couples causing a commotion at 4.45 am because there was a few wasps in their room, the windows had been left open so they could smoke in the room without setting off the smoke alarm, I had to go to reception to alert the night porter about the problem as the rooms occupants were drunk and rambling and didn't know what to do, needless to say we didn't get back to sleep, all the doors along the passage ways slam shut-loudly, this went on for an hour or so while the wasp people changed rooms, was there a simple apology at 9 am when we left and handed the door keycard to the receptionist ?, NO, the floors creaked loudly, the carpets just looked like fabric stretched over the floor, the damp stains on the ceilings and wall ,the hotel from hell, but don't just take my word for it, pop in when your in the area and see for yourself, next time we will go up the road to the premier inns,

Room Tip: go to the premier inn just half a mile up the road.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple