“Not disabled friendly”

Town House Stonehouse Pizza & Carvery
Ranked #367 of 876 Restaurants in Norwich
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: At Stonehouse Pizza & Carvery we’re a friendly bunch and pride ourselves on giving the warmest of welcomes. So when you pop over to our place, whether it’s to catch up with friends over a refreshing drink or because you just can’t be bothered to cook, we hope you’ll find it like a home from home – without the washing up! We’ve something for all the family - from freshly carved, slow cooked roasts, stonebaked pizzas made from 100% fresh dough, tasty pub classics like hand battered fish, plus a range of burgers and vegetarian dishes.
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Steps everywhere, no disabled toilet, beware of big drop when driving into car park in fact dont drive into carpark park in layby in front of the pub

Reviewed August 29, 2013

With The Town House you get good, cheap, food in a nice environment. In the summer the view of the river is lovely and there are several outside tables if you just want to go for a drink. The Town House doesn't look much from the outside but you will definitely get your money's worth.

Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Having been to other Crown Carveries we knew exactly what to expect, but I have to say that this is the best 1 I've had so far. All fresh vegetables, as much as you can eat. The meat was lovely, & plenty of it.
I will certainly be going back there to eat.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

As first time visitors, we were surprised at the extent of the inside rooms. There are a few!! However, there is also a lovely outside area for eating and on a pleasant afternoon/evening, this would be ideal.

When we arrived, the pub was reasonably busy but we were able to get a good table, however due to the sun streaming in, it became a bit hot so we moved. Not a problem.

To order both drinks and food, you have to go to the bar at the opposite end to the carvery. There were a few people ahead of me, so it was interesting to see how the staff handled a large number of guests with a multitude of questions. Believe me, they were MUCH more patient and accommodating than I have seen in the vast majority of restaurants, let alone pubs.

Anyway, by the time we decided to get food, the line to the carvery was quite long, but nonetheless I decided to join and wait. (remember, this IS a family pub)

By the time I was served, I was expecting a short and cursory exchange with the staff, but in fact, it was like I was the only customer they had served all day. Fabulous.

I read below comments regarding the food, so I am pleased to report that ours was typical Pub fare. Possibly a bit better than most. The choices are good, particularly for vegetarians, and the meat was well cooked and certainly not dry.....and certainly not tasteless.

The vegetables were not soggy and were full of flavour.

Added to that, the lady who was waiting in our area just couldn't have been more attentive.

This IS a real family pub. The vast majority of the clientele are families. There were many obvious regulars and this should be an indication that this a good venue.

If you are after a friendly, family oriented, stress free environment, one where you can have an honest meal served (and I would suggest prepared with) a smile, then this is a good place to spend an afternoon. Its busy, but not packed. Also, after 1.30 an older crowd comes in.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

The Town House Restaurant and carvery has lots of potential. It overlooks the river at Thorpe on the outskirts of Norwich - a tranquil scene when we visited for an early evening Sunday carvery. There is a sloping lawn and nice garden facing the river with outside tables. That's the good news. Inside, the restaurant is at many split levels which must be difficult to negotiate for anyone with a physical disability. The carvery table is at one end in a rather cramped situation, fed by a kitchen half way down the main room. Tables are fitted in where possible. It all had a rather higgeldy-piggeldy look. For the carvery, you queue at the bar to get a ticket - for Sundays it costs just over £7; it is much cheaper during the week. There was a choice of gammon, pork, topside of beef and turkey. The meat we tried was dreadfully dry, overcooked and overheated. Portions were modest. The beef especially was tough, as was the gammon. It must have been sourced from the cheapest possible places. The vegetables were overdone and limp; the roast potato was tough and lacked any flavour; only the mashed potato was good - and you really would have difficulty making that badly. There was a table with sauces and gravy. For dessert on Sundays, there is an 'all-you-can-eat' ice cream and sauce bar, where you help yourself to ice cream from a machine and squeeze sauce over it from a bottle. First, the dishes available for the dessert were dirty in the extreme - dust and muck over the outside as if they had been stored on an upper shelf for months. When I pointed this out to the person who seemed to be a manager, he grumped and took the dirty stuf away. It was ten minutes before another dish came back - and of course, no apology. As for the ice cream, it was a travesty - it was tasteless and totally un-creamy. The sauces were cheap and nasty. The food experience was dreadful. If it had not been for a helpful waiter who tried ever so hard under obviously stressful (for him) conditions, I would have given the Town House a 'terrible' rating. Go for the views and peaceful river and garden, but eat elsewhere.