“Great food and service!”

The River Garden Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #237 of 835 Restaurants in Norwich
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: There are few more tranquil settings than the River Garden on a summer’s day. The picturesque gardens with a long river frontage play host to couples, families, business people and a few chickens. The River Garden, formerly the Kings Head was built in 1650 and has stood for many years, Surviving a hit in World War 2, it was originally a coach house and pub in the days of travelling by horse and by horse drawn carriage and of more recent times as a watering hole for locals and visitors to the county alike.Whilst horses are still welcome, the pub is now in walking distance of many local residents and businesses as well as a convenient stopping off point, just off the A47 for those using wheels. Whilst there is nothing on record to suggest the popular drinking and eating establishment is haunted, at certain times things certainly go bump in the night and as the mist rises on the river early in the morning and the fleet of over 100 resident swans make their way majestically down the river Yare, the atmosphere certainly sends a shiver up the viewers spine.
“Great food and service!”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Had a great visit at the river garden today!Extremely pleased with the food and service at the river garden!
Sat in the garden which is very well kept, waiting for my pulled pork bap which didn't take long to arrive at all! The food was delicious, my friend and I both enjoyed it very much! We Felt very welcomed by the friendly waitresses and would definitely return! Excellent local business which should be greatly supported!

• Visited August 2013

Norwich, United Kingdom
“This place used to be good.......”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Had Sunday lunch here recently, I was joined by my wife and friends. I have always had a good lunch here before and the setting by the river is fantastic.
This visit will probably be my last though, the food took forever to arrive ( they weren't busy, should have been a clue on a sunny Sunday lunchtime) the waitress was enthusiastic but didn't know what dishes were what and was just winging it, not her fault I think, she had obviously not been trained. The wait between courses was way too long and two dishes had to be sent back as they where overcooked ( they came back perfect) I had a chicken Caesar salad priced at £10.50, for that you would expect almost more salad than you could eat, complete with a whole chicken breasts worth of chicken,but I was served a medium sized bowl with around four lettuce leaves, 4 anchovies, around a quarter of a breasts worth of chicken and none of the promised croutons ! A starter portion ! I would have said around £4.95's worth ! I pointed out the lack of croutons, the waitress said she would tell the chef, I have know idea if she did or not, as I didn't hear any more on the subject !
As I said at the start, this place used to be good.. Judging by the lack or customers, I fear I am not alone in this opinion.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Jezzoo
nrwich
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice venue , shame about the food !”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I live locally and we always try to support local businesses but we are giving up on this place. The staff were badly trained, un kept ( shirts not ironed). Food rough.

We waited 10 minutes between our main course and the side dishes !
Main course - fish - overcooked/dry. Chips soggy - yuk !

Waitress took our order for coffee then came back and said because she was new she didn't know we had to order them at the bar ?? No training ?

How many unemployed - suggest HR try harder

Norwich, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Simply Excellent”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I dont like to do reviews very often as I feel they are often negative however I do like to give credit where its due and this business is definately doing everything they can to make the dining experience as good as possible. I brought my friends here for a casual evening meal and was not disapointed, the meal was really delicious. The food all home cooked and the ingrediants fresh, keeping it apart from the other chains in the area. Give this one a go.

1 Thank QueenieT986
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Thought a meal at a pub by the river would be nice...I was wrong.”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Menu sounded nice, but what came out was not as described or as nice.
My fiance's meal had so much wrong with it and was not as describe and had things missing and so did my mum's.
Mine said it came with 'leeks', what I got was a leek chopped in half, which was raw in the centre and therefore inedible. The pork belly was nothing special, but did taste like pork. The best bit about mine was the black pudding hash, which strange, but lovely.
The staff were run of their feet. The manager was serving and was stressed and only had another waitress, who was new, but good at her job, I thought.
After my mum ordered she heard the kitchen shout no more orders and saw lots of smoke and flames in the kitchen and lots getting burnted and told us not to expect much, even though the menu sounded good. Basically the chef had no control and could not keep up with the orders at all.
It did not live up to expectations. Other customers sent food back and stated they were not paying.
We asked for some water and never recieved it also. I gave up waiting.
I informed the waitress my leek was raw, and so I had not eaten it.
We didn't complain about anything else, because we thought that the staff or chef really wouldn't care.
Avoid!