“Clean and comfortable”

Ranked #19 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Newmarket, United Kingdom
“Clean and comfortable”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

As a regular Holiday Inn customer this hotel is typical of Holiday Inn hotels, albeit a bit dated. The hotel was fully booked for the duration of my stay which did result in full restaurants and car park. I eat at the hotel one evening and the food was ok. Didn't make use of the hotel swimming pool. Wifi was particularly expensive.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Stuart H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Belton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

We stayed overnight as this was closest hotel to the wedding we were invited to , this was in the wilds of Norfolk. On arrival the reception staff offered water and chocolate as priority club members. Of the many visits to the holiday inn chain, this was the first time I have been offered chocolate and water. a lesson for other hotels to learn I think.
We dined in the restaurant and the food was nicely cooked and the steak to my cooking requirement. The waiter also checked that it was cooked to my liking (rare). The breakfast in the morning was also nicely presented, and a good selection of fresh fruit. My only regret was not enough time to enjoy the leisure facilities.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank millseybum
Martin S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much indeed for your lovely comments about your stay at Holiday Inn when you visited Norwich. I am very glad you chose to book here and that we gave you an enjoyable stay to hopefully remember.
Our restaurant staff and kitchen team will always ensure your food is cooked to your very own liking as we treat each guest as an individual and understand that everyone has different tastes and needs.
All Holiday Inn's operate different on their check in but like you said, here we offer all of our priority club members just that little something extra to thank them for being loyal to our brand. I am very pleased to hear this had a positive effect on you.

We would very much like to welcome you back to our hotel in the future so that hopefully you can use our leisure facilities!
Once again, thank you for your time in leaving feedback for us.

Petersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2012

WE stayed at this Hotel for 1 night ,it was coveintly located just outside Normich a few minutes by car. THe Hotel was average not the best but not the worst, rooms were clean and cared for. We had no complaints.

Room Tip: Our room on the 1st floor was fine
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Martin S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am glad to hear that everything was OK for you during your stay at Holiday Inn Norwich.
Our Housekeeping team do take a great deal of care when servicing the bedrooms and always ensure they are serviced to the highest standard.

I would like to hope if you visited again we could show you that we are more than just an OK hotel.

Thanks for your comments
Sunderland
Reviewed October 24, 2012

It's clean and tidy, very good reception team.

Bar staff are not so good.

A little tip would be to pour beer in the correct glasses. If you charge these prices for an out of town bar, at least serve it with a smile and in the correct glass. It actually does make a difference to get a Becks vier in a branded vier glass. If the glass isn't available tell me before pouring it. I don't pay for my drinks as its normally expensed, but if I was paying £4 a drink, why should I get a cider in a vier glass, and a vier in a Guinness glass?

£8 taxi ride to and from the centre, so think about this before booking, as the prices were already high for this out of town holiday inn when I stayed. Internet is extra too.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear ChipoSticko,

Thank you very much for taking the time to feedback to us about your experience.
I would firstly like to thank you for your comment on our reception team. I will ensure that it is passed back onto them.

I am a little concerned to hear your comments about our bar staff. All members of bar staff are continuously trained in customer service and bar skills thoroughly throughout the year. I can honestly say that this is not a regular occurrence. We have recently had a new group of staff members join so they may have been helping out/training on the bar. I would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Unfortunately we cannot control the prices for taxi's journeys but with regards to internet prices, this is something we are looking into and hopefully can change in the near future.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Holiday Inn Norwich and I hope you will stay again with us.
Gravesend
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Looks quite dated from the outside but the interior was modern. Rooms were of average standard but the bathroom showed signs of age with black mould and cracked tiles and some pretty awful repair work around the bath. Although the bed looked fresh and clean the first thing i saw when i pulled the quilt back was a pubic hair so kind of put me off. All in all i would have given the hotel an average score as the staff were nice and helpful and i believe you get what you pay for but in their wisdom they put a middle age couple in a room surrounded by 8 mid 20's lads who had quite obviously had a super time in Norwich and rolled home at 2.30am and proceeded for the next 2 and 1/2 hours to chat, sing, shout, laugh, bang, knock and go in and out of each others rooms, allowing the doors to crash each time. Housekeeping then turned up at 9am on the Sunday morning and bang loudly on each door declaring their presence to all who still happened to be abed which i believe is a ploy to get everyone awake and out of there rooms!

Dear SherrieBridge,

Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

Our housekeeping team do thoroughly clean the bedrooms and regular checks are done on the newly serviced rooms to ensure that they are up to the highest standard. I do apologise that this has happened to you and I will look into it further.
We are also in process of discussing a refurbishment to some of our hotel rooms and bathrooms.

Here at our hotel because of our near city centre location, we do have a large mixture of guests that stay here. Please do not hesitate to contact my front of house and nights team who will make sure you have the best nights sleep possible, and will ensure that the noise procedure is put into place if you ever experience any problems .

I am very happy to see that you thought our staff were helpful. All staff members will go out of their way to help whenever they can.

Colchester, Essex United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stayed for a Saturday night, arrived early at 12 midday, but room was not early, booked in, told leaving the car in the car park was OK whilst we went into Norwich, pleasant young man on reception ordered us a mini cab which cost £6 to get into the city centre.
Got back about 8pm, collected keys, no problem. Room was made up for the 3 of us and was OK. Spotlessly clean, comfortable bed. Bathroom small, toiletries and tea tray provided in room. The only problem with the room was the noise from the party of girls next door who were getting ready to go out. The room had an ajoining door and you could hear EVERY word of their conversation.
Decided to go to the bar for a drink. the bars was busy with a group of young men dressed in what I believed are called 'onesies', anyway they were all enjoying themselves and were well behaved and the bar staff were good. Two drinks cost £8.50 which is average for hotel prices. No free wi-fi anywhere in the hotel, which is a bit cheapskate. There was however in the reception a free supply of complimentary tea and coffee and free newspapers.
Went back to room about 10pm, girls next door had gone out. As I am an avid reader of tripadviser, I knew about the room noise, so had taken ear plugs, so didn't hear them come back.
I hadn't booked breakfast when I booked the room and nothing had been said when I checked in, so when we went to the breakfast room, I asked the receptionist whether I had to book breakfast with them before we went through. I was told that I should have booked it when I checked in, I confirmed that I hadnt been told about breakfast, but it was too late! went back to the room, picked up our bags and about 5 minutes later were back to check out. They were suprised to see us back, it turned out that we could have had breakfast at £13.95 each, but they thought I wanted the vouchers for breakfast at £11.95 a simple misunderstanding and I wouldnt have paid £13.95 anyway, so the hotel lost £36 through having such draconian rules! The room was a bargain at £40. Search for special offers. i also asked for a quiet room, but got one overlooking the road. If you like the Holiday Inn brand, I suggest you go to the Norwich City one, I have stayeded their twice and cant fault it.

Room Tip: ask for one overlooking the car park and check that it doesnt have an interconnecting door to the ne...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear LFK,

Let me begin by thanking you for your feedback about the service of our bar staff and the cleanliness of your bedroom. It is also extremely nice to hear that you enjoyed the complimentary tea and coffee station during your stay.

I do apologise about the misunderstanding you faced about our breakfast. We offer at check in a discounted rate which is £10.95 for a breakfast voucher consisting of full English and continental. If breakfast then isn't purchased at check in and is decided to be brought the next day, we charge the full rate of £13.95 for our breakfast. I will look into why their was a miscommunication during your check in and ensure this is resolved.
Also unfortunately yes, at the moment our WI-Fi is chargeable but this is something which is currently being discussed.

I am sorry for the noise you experience during the beginning of your stay. If you ever hopefully stay again at Holiday Inn Norwich, please contact our reservations team here at the hotel who will help you find a suitable room for throughout your stay. Our reception team can also help with any issues you face during your stay also so please do not hesitate to contact them.

Cambridgeshire
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed for one night whilst attending a function in Norwich. As we only paid £40, we did not have that high expectations. However the reception staff were pleasant and helpful, and the room was a reasonable size, pleasantly functional and very clean. There were complimentary coffee and newspapers in the lobby area. The only criticism is that wi-fi was quite expensive.

Dear Guest,

Please let me begin by thanking you for taking the time to feedback to me about your stay here at Norwich. I am very glad to hear that my Reception team were helpful to you whilst staying at our hotel.

We have complimentary tea, coffee and newspapers in our lobby area for all of our guests that check in and out and I am glad this made an impression to you whilst at our hotel.

Looking at your comment regarding Wi-fi, it is something we are currently looking into and hopefully can improve for our guests in the near future.

I hope we can welcome you back to Holiday Inn Norwich again one day.