“All of the reviews are appropriate....”
Review of Spice Paradise

Spice Paradise
Ranked #465 of 835 Restaurants in Norwich
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: IT is the only Indian restaurant in our area specialising in Southern Indian Recipes i.e. lots of vegetarian dishes and also the Thali Meal and Dosa specialities.
Dereham, United Kingdom
“All of the reviews are appropriate....”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I had been recommended to try this south Indian restaurant by an Indian Chef and as I have a friend who is vegetarian was looking forward to the vast and interesting vegetarian menu. We were welcomed warmly and shown to our table. We ordered drinks and then pondered over the menu. On enquiring we were told that the 'vegetarian feast' was 'of the chef's choice' and could not be drawn further so we decided to order our own various dishes so that we could sample what was on offer... so far, so good. It was clear that there was a difficulty in communication but the waiter/Manager was charming and was pleased that I knew some Hindi from my years in India as a youth. We ordered a selection of starters and then various main dishes with rice. We laughingly said that we felt we needed a bigger table for all the food we had ordered and without delay were whisked to a larger table. All good, so far.... we waited, and waited and then eventually a trolley arrived with our main courses on... they had completely forgotten our starters! They proceeded to wheel the trolley away but we were so hungry by then that we urged them to serve and said we would forgo the starters....the food was indeed varied but some of the dishes were less than luke warm so they took them away to reheat.. I was also keen to try their bonda's as I had learned to cook them at an indian cookery course (ethnicfusion - excellent) so asked them if we could have a portion of them as we missed them at the starter. These duly arrived, hot and crispy - not quite as spicy as I would have expected but nice all the same. So, many of the previous comments rang true; chaotic - even with only a few tables occupied - and didn't deliver an entire course; some food not hot enough; they also charged us for the Bonda's which was a shame considering the circumstances, HOWEVER the food was very tasty, such a refreshing change from the usual 'curry houses' (I lived in Bangladesh too so also love their food); not swimming in oil/ghee; the heaters were working just fine and the staff could not have been more amusing and charming.... if a little 'forgetful'. It really reminded me of those bygone days in India. I would go back unreservedly and try all the things that we 'didn't get'! I would like to score more on the ratings but feel that on balance it is fair. Will hopefully be able to score more next time.

• Visited December 2012

norwich
“Good alternative to normal Indian restaurants.”
Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

We have eaten in this restaurant several times and whilst it is slightly qwerky in terms of the service the food is always consistently good. As a southern Indian restaurant it is a nice change to have regional food which is of good quality. The price is not too bad and whilst service can be a little slow, it is always a relaxed meal out. Certainly recommended.

London
“Shocking, tasteless food and diabolical service”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Came here after reading reviews on tripadvisor and felt it would be a safe bet. However, I was let down by a number of you. We entered the restaurant at opening time 17:30 and it was freezing. Outside was 2 degrees and inside they were thoughtless enough to forget to switch on the heating. So we ate our food with our jackets and woolly hats on. The menu recommended a 'seafood soup' with an image of a lovely red coloured texture and 4 king prawns. What we got instead with a horrible, disgusting, foul, yellow coloured soup with no fleshy meat and tasted of body sweat; it was a farce. False advertising and terrible culinary practice; we demanded they removed the bowls from our table, embarrassed them with the menu image and said we would never pay anything for the sort. We were actually set to leave but the waiter who spoke poor English (I am Asian so don't think this is a racist remark) said our mains were already under way and we felt sympathetic enough to see if the chef could improve because after that soup you could not get worse.

But yes we were played like tools because the dosa was barely warm, this pathetic excuse for a chicken dish with chopped fried onions on top and a stupidly mild chicken curry wasted £34 of our money. Only the basic pashwari naan, mushroom rice and poppadoms were of any consolation.

The service was abysmal, he barely spoke English, could not understand 'Diet Coke', said that legally we could not refuse to pay for our soups, recommended to us two curries which you could probably find in an Iceland ready made section and like I mentioned earlier... we ate in a very cold restaurant.

I eat out a lot but barely leave reviews. I felt that after this shambolic dine it would only be justified if you didn't experience what we did. We actually came here for a pre-match meal (Norwich v Villa) and I left my scarf by accident, upon our return the place was still dead with no one in there. I don't want anyone to suffer financially but if we spend your hard earned money then you should get what you deserve. Good luck to them and don't be fooled by their flattering website either.

• Visited December 2012
Hampshire, UK
“Deserves a much higher Tripadvisor rating”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Having moved to Norwich a year ago we had been working our way through the city's list of Indian restaurants, wildly hoping to find one which wasn't Bangladeshi and which didn't serve dishes which were always orange.

My husband is originally South Indian so this place was obviously on our hit list but unfortunately it's only open in the evenings so it took us a while to get there. Thank God we did !

No doubt every other South Indian person in town already knows this (since many of them seemed to be dining there the night we had dinner) but this is without doubt the best Indian restaurant In Norwich. Authentic dishes including great dosa, friendly service. OK, the decor is a bit dated but so what?

I cannot understand why this restaurant is not more highly-rated on TP but maybe it's a good thing. It can remain a gem, known only to the initiated....

Visited November 2012
1 Thank BooksHampshire_UK
Norwich, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious, authentic South Indian food”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I don't know what some of these other reviewers are on about! This is the best Indian restaurant I have ever been to. If you want something other than meat in pink sauce like all the other Indian restaurants in town provide then you must go here. A great range of vegetable dishes and the very delicious masala dosa make it really special. We come here all the time with our kids and have never had a bad meal. Only lovely, friendly service and good value, tasty food,

• Visited July 2012