“Gourmet Delights”

Wellingborough, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Gourmet Delights”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We enjoyed an evening meal and a hearty breakfast at the Winepress restaurant during an overnight stay at the Maids Head Hotel next door and were delighted by the quality of the food and friendly/helpful service by Matthew, our waiter. Highlight for us was a dessert that featured every imaginable culinary form of rhubarb, beautifully presented as a series of eye- and mouth-watering miniatures. Outstanding and will definitely return for more gourmet delights!

1 Thank Julian H
Christine M, General Manager at Winepress@wensum, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Dear Julian H,
I am delighted to read that you had such a pleasant dining experience with us and we look forward to serving you more gourmet delights in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
England
“Very, Very disappointed.”
Reviewed June 28, 2014

We came her for a special occasion with friends due to the reviews but for us personally, it was a disaster. Service was atrocious, table booked for 8pm, finally got our starters ate 9.25, food mediocre. We didn’t order a dessert as would have got that in time for breakfast, food luke warm - we were given discount on the meal and free drinks and then also a complimentary meal as our experience was so bad but unfortunately, on our return visit, the service wasn’t quite as poor but still a very long wait for ordering, food being served, we were even served up the wrong starters for two of us, none came for the other guests and then 5 mins later, they took ours away as wrong table, it was for the table next door. Very unprofessional, unappealing food, no atmosphere - would not visit again .

Dear hillviewengland,
I am sorry to read you had such disappointing experiences with us. We pride ourselves on the standard of service we offer and as you can see from other guests we usually get it right. We obviously did not manage this for your table and for that I offer my apologies and those of the restaurant team.
Diss, United Kingdom
“So pleased we ate there”
Reviewed June 27, 2014

We celebrated a special occasion and chose this restaurant hoping to end a perfect day with a terrific special meal. We were not disappointed we were met by our waiter Matthew who ensured that we had absolutely the perfect eating experience, all the staff led by Katherine were very attentive and made our stay special. The starter, main and dessert were chosen from an excellent menu, the wine list was of a very high standard, really excellent. The hotel "the Maids Head" was like stepping back in time when the comfort of the guest was all that mattered. We recommend this to you if you want a peaceful meal supported by well trained and attentive staff in period surroundings. Miss this at your peril.

• Visited June 2014
Christine M, General Manager at Winepress@wensum, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
Dear Melvyn V
What a lovely review of your dinner at the Winepress. The whole team, and especially those mentioned, will be very honoured that you thought so highly of your meal. We hope you will join us again soon!
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and service”
Reviewed June 27, 2014

We stayed at the Maids Head Hotel and ate in the Winepress restaurant which is a separate concern from the hotel itself. The staff were friendly and knowledgeable, and when asked for recommendations gave advice we found to be good. The food was first rate, interesting, locally sourced and cooked to perfection. I would particularly commend Rob for his excellent service.

I would not hesitate to eat here again next time we're in Norwich.

Dear Fiona B,
Thank you for your kind review of your meal at the Winepress. Rob will be proud to have been commended and the rest of the team will be happy that you found everything to your liking. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
London, United Kingdom
“Not quite perfect”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

We stayed at the Maidshead hotel and ate here on the first evening. The room is in a sort of cellar area - it's pretty, but we were put by the doors and it was quite drafty. We had an amuse bouche of carrot soup, which was nice, and some bread that was a bit tough and had an odd herby flavour! My starter was quails egg with a raisin puree - it didn't really go together, but the quail was nice. My boyfriend had the duck confit, which was really good. My main was pork belly with mashed potato and squid - it was HUGE! It was such good food but there was a mountain of it - I couldn't finish it at all, which always makes me feel bad! I didn't really care for the mushrooms with it but luckily they weren't too overpowering.
My boyfriend had lamb cooked two ways - he'd asked for it rare, but said it would actually be better medium.
Service was fine - not too much, not too little. Atmosphere in the restaurant was a bit stuffy, but that might've just been the clientele on that particular night. Certainly it wasn't overbearing.
Neither of us had room for dessert. Overall I would say serving sizes need looking at (my starter was too small, my main was too big...) and it's very slightly overpriced (although drinks are very reasonable). Apart from that - a nice place to eat.

1 Thank Cat C
Christine M, General Manager at Winepress@wensum, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Dear Cat C,

Thank you for your comments regarding your dinner. I am glad that you found the service fine and I shall pass your comments on to the kitchen regarding portion sizes. I do hope you will visit us again soon.