“Lovely meal”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Decided to visit the Wine Press for my birthday meal.
The service and welcome from Andrew was friendly and the meal that followed was one of the best meals we have had in a long time.
The chicken and chorizo terrine was very tasty and my partner's wood pigeon starter was also good.
We both went for the lamb which was served pink, just as we like it. The vegetables were all fresh and the presentation was superb.
Not really needing a dessert as we were near full, i chose the pineapple tart tatin because it sounded so delicious. Andrew did advise us it would take 20 minutes as each one was made fresh to order but when it came it was worth the wait. The cheese and biscuits my partner had was a huge serving and he could not finish it!
Andrew's knowledge of the wine menu was second to none. Overall I would recommend the Wine Press and we will be returning when we next visit Norwich.

Christine M, General Manager at Winepress@wensum, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2014

Dear 15karen,

I am very glad that you enjoyed your birthday meal here at the Winepress. I will pass on your compliments to Andrew and we look forward to seeing you when you are next in Norwich.

Reviewed May 16, 2014

Where do I start? There’s nothing “wrong” with the restaurant, it’s just that there is nothing “special” that makes you want to write about it and I don’t really get the “rave” reviews here. The service was very friendly and reasonably efficient; the food was well presented and reasonably tasty. I thought the concept of “40 wines by the glass” was a slight disappointment as the majority of them are nothing special and comprise the usual suspects of for example, Aussie Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Chilean Merlot etc.
I think the main issue for me was the lack of atmosphere. It is set in an old fashioned and slightly “staid” hotel which seems to permeate through to the restaurant. Overall, it’s a nice place to take your old auntie to for lunch, she’d probably love it - I’m not sure your “date” would though!

Christine M, General Manager at Winepress@wensum, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Dear RtG 100,

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to the Winepress. I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with the wine list as we are working with a local wine merchant to offer a broad selection of wines. I was also sorry that you found a lack of atmosphere in the restaurant on your visit. The number of diners and therefore the atmosphere does tend to vary quite a lot depending on other things happening in the hotel so perhaps you just caught a quiet night. I hope it has not completely put you off visiting us again.

Reviewed May 8, 2014

My boyfriend and I were looking for a special restaurant to celebrate his aunt's 75th birthday. I contacted other restaurants in Norfolk to find out if they were open on Monday, but all of our picks seemed closed on this day. That's when I read some really good reviews about Winepress at the Maid's Head Hotel and made a reservation.

Our expectations were high and I already felt a bit disappointed when I walked in. Inside the restaurant looked dull, the furniture was old and it looked a bit run down. The staff was very friendly, so I hoped the disappointment would disappear when we got our food, but it only got worse. The starter was Oak Smoked Chicken and Chorizo Terrine and my boyfriend and I both agreed that it looked like dog food. The smokiness came through but I couldn't distinguish if I was eating chicken or chorizo. It was accompanied by cold, toasted bread and a simple salad.

The main dish was a fillet of Sea Trout, Ratatouille and Saffron Turned Potatoes. The potatoes were bland, the ratatouille and sea trout weren't that great and I found a bone in the fish. I had Sticky Toffee Pudding for dessert and it was really good, but the presentation was a let down.

What made matters worse was that I'd asked in my email if it was possible to order a cake to be brought to us for dessert as a surprise. I got a reply from the Operations Manager saying he had arranged with the chef a special birthday message drawn in chocolate on the dessert platter saying "Happy Birthday," but we never got it. When we asked for the bill our waitress didn't even apologize and just asked whose birthday it was and congratulated her.

Bottom line: I wouldn't return here and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The amount of the money charged for the food provided in this restaurant is not worth it. We've dined at other places in Norfolk that are much better for the same price. If you want great food, I would recommend Stoke Mill Contemporary Fine Dining instead of Winepress. The drive is a bit longer, but it's worth it!

1  Thank Nathy E
Christine M, General Manager at Winepress@wensum, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2014

Dear TravelGlam17,

May I offer my sincerest apologies for the absence of your Birthday dessert plate, an inexcusable error on our part, for which I am entirely to blame. I am sorry that you were disappointed by your meal too - we usually maintain a high standard in the Winepress, as a lot of our reviews testify, but it seems we did not do so on this occasion. If there is anything I can do to make amends please let me know.

Reviewed May 7, 2014

Having wanted to try the Winepress for ages I finally managed to persuade my husband that we should give it a try. His main reservation had been that on previous occasions of either popping into the bar for a drink or a look at the restaurant it had seemed a little lacking in atmosphere and slow on service.
On entering the restaurant we were warmly met by the waitress who asked if we wanted a drink in the bar whilst we looked at the menu or if we would prefer to go straight to our table. We chose the bar.
This is where the main negative of our visit arises, not being sure which wine to choose from I asked the chap at the bar if it would be possible to try two different types. He said yes but then used the same glass for both meaning it was difficult to get a clean taste of the second, however still not the end of the world. What I was amazed at was when I decided which bottle to go with, he just took the bottle out of the fridge, put it on the side next to me, no wine bucket, no clean glass, not even opened, and walked out of the bar!! It just took the edge off the beginning of the evening as its such a small thing but should have been automatic for bar staff to know what to do.
On the positive side the food!!
Once sitting down for our food, we weren't disappointed. We were served a delicious Amuse Bouche, which was a lovely touch, and we both agreed our mains were deliciously cooked and beautifully presented. For this food alone I would definitely consider a return visit, which pulled it back overall.
I think possibly they were slightly understaffed too as it took a while to get anyone's attention for the bill, however they were all busy but cheerful and efficient with it.
Hopefully my husband will be persuaded to return again :D

2  Thank firefly2920

Dear firefly2920,

I was glad to read that you enjoyed your meal with us but sad that we let ourselves down in the Bar. I have spoken with the barman who apologizes for his lack of thought. I do hope we did enough to tempt you back and I am sure we will do better overall on your next visit.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

It was such a treat to be looked after by staff who were genuinely interested in their job. Jess our waitress made knowledgeable reccomendations which we followed. The food was delicous and beautifully presented. Try the pineapple tart tatine - something special. As we left we had a tour and history synopsis of the building by another member of staff. A memorable evening out.
Well done to all the staff back and front of house.

Dear rothesquine,

Thank you for your lovely review. I shall pass your thanks to Jess and the kitchen team and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.