“So close to perfection ....”
Review of Winepress@wensum

Winepress@wensum
Ranked #251 of 861 Restaurants in Norwich
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Having wanted to try the Winepress for ages I finally managed to persuade my husband that we should give it a try. His main reservation had been that on previous occasions of either popping into the bar for a drink or a look at the restaurant it had seemed a little lacking in atmosphere and slow on service.
On entering the restaurant we were warmly met by the waitress who asked if we wanted a drink in the bar whilst we looked at the menu or if we would prefer to go straight to our table. We chose the bar.
This is where the main negative of our visit arises, not being sure which wine to choose from I asked the chap at the bar if it would be possible to try two different types. He said yes but then used the same glass for both meaning it was difficult to get a clean taste of the second, however still not the end of the world. What I was amazed at was when I decided which bottle to go with, he just took the bottle out of the fridge, put it on the side next to me, no wine bucket, no clean glass, not even opened, and walked out of the bar!! It just took the edge off the beginning of the evening as its such a small thing but should have been automatic for bar staff to know what to do.
On the positive side the food!!
Once sitting down for our food, we weren't disappointed. We were served a delicious Amuse Bouche, which was a lovely touch, and we both agreed our mains were deliciously cooked and beautifully presented. For this food alone I would definitely consider a return visit, which pulled it back overall.
I think possibly they were slightly understaffed too as it took a while to get anyone's attention for the bill, however they were all busy but cheerful and efficient with it.
Hopefully my husband will be persuaded to return again :D

2  Thank firefly2920
Christine M, General Manager at Winepress@wensum, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2014

Dear firefly2920,

I was glad to read that you enjoyed your meal with us but sad that we let ourselves down in the Bar. I have spoken with the barman who apologizes for his lack of thought. I do hope we did enough to tempt you back and I am sure we will do better overall on your next visit.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

It was such a treat to be looked after by staff who were genuinely interested in their job. Jess our waitress made knowledgeable reccomendations which we followed. The food was delicous and beautifully presented. Try the pineapple tart tatine - something special. As we left we had a tour and history synopsis of the building by another member of staff. A memorable evening out.
Well done to all the staff back and front of house.

Dear rothesquine,

Thank you for your lovely review. I shall pass your thanks to Jess and the kitchen team and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

Oh dear, the omens were not good as we walked in and had to find our table ourselves. Several minutes go by with the most deafening racket of horrible rock Muzak (why would a restaurant with the aspirations this one has play excessively load rock music to diners? Who on earth would want that?). Finally, we get our menus, but 20 minutes later, our party is definitely very worried about how the evening will pan out. We look around and see miserable fellow-diners without plates in front of them in that classic 'why oh why did we come here' look. A quick discussion and we decide a quick exit is the order of the day. We haven't yet consumed anything so are not committed to the venue, so after an utterly miserable 40 minutes of non-service and aural assault, we cross the road to the excellent spice lounge where within 3 minutes of sitting down we have poppadoms and beer. So, my message to the management of the winepress@wensum is if you want me to return: turn off the rock Muzak, it destroys the atmosphere; just treat people like they are paying customers and make them feel that you care if they stay or go. Sorry to be negative, the staff were friendly but rushed off their feet, this feels like management has let them and me down. Shame as the maids head is a lovely hotel!

2  Thank Perhapsthistime

Dear Perhapsthistime,

I am very sorry to read that you had such a disappointing visit to the Winepress. Unfortunately on the evening of your visit we had a major issue which had a knock on effect. This is no excuse however as we aim to provide top quality service at all times and this is what our guests expect. I have spoken with the team regarding the music playing in the restaurant we are in the process of providing a more appropriate selection for evening dining. If there is anything I can do to persuade you to give us another try please email me - operations@maidsheadhotel.co.uk
I do hope you will give us the opportunity to show you how good we can be!

Reviewed May 4, 2014

Was expecting good things having read previous reviews. I suspect that something must have gone horribly wrong tonight as both food and service were simply awful. We waited 2.5 hours to get a main course which, when it finally turned up was quite frankly appalling. The most disappointing issue is that this is the restaurant is a 4 star hotel and management were oblivious to the failings.

Dear Candypop2014,

I am very sorry that you had such a poor experience when visiting the Winepress. You are correct to say that we had a major issue on the night you visited. However that is absolutely no excuse for us failing in the service and produce that you received. If you would like to give us the opportunity to make amends for your visit please email operations@maidsheadhotel.co.uk. Once again I apologise that we did not come anywhere near our usual high standards.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

Had heard that the food here was exceptional and its so true. Not only that it's affordable, interesting, different and the staff are exceptionally well informed about the menu and wine. Lovely atmosphere, music great and played at just the right volume. cant wait to go back!

1  Thank DisneyNorwich_UK
Christine M, General Manager at Winepress@wensum, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2014

Dear DisneyNorwich_UK
I was really glad to read that you enjoyed your meal here at the Winepress and I will pass on your kind words to the staff. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.