“Hidden Gem, Easily Overlooked, excellent food & service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Old Feathers

The Old Feathers
Ranked #95 of 817 Restaurants in Norwich
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Hidden Gem, Easily Overlooked, excellent food & service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014

Firstly, I decided to choose this pub for our anniversary meal while we were on holiday in the area due to the reviews on trip advisor and the non pretentious menu. Do not be put off by the main road location of this pub, its a real gem of a place. As we approached the pub, my husband was somewhat underwhelmed at the location, I assured him the reviews were excellent & the menu compared to others in the area suited our tastes better.

We walked in and were immediately greeted with a warm welcome and a smile and were shown to a table in the dining area which is a lovely bright conservatory style room, our table overlooked the fish pond and a lovely outdoor seating area. Our waitress was new and that evening was her first day at the pub, she was lovely and immediately made us feel relaxed and looked after as well as our 15 year old daughter, who she had some good banter with. We placed our orders and when the starters arrived were impressed with the size of the portions and the quality of the food, my husband enjoyed his battered prawns and the garlic bread with cheese was lovely, made with proper artisan bread, highly recommend. I had the garlic mushrooms which were beautiful too. A nice gap between courses and our mains arrived, I opted for the Lasagna which is often hit and miss when eating out as if its been pre-cooked and then microwaved it can be awful and chewy, however this Lasagna was not like that, it was fresh and delicious, it came with salad & a huge side of hand made well cooked chips. My hubby had the stilton burger which he thoroughly enjoyed, he said it was the best burger he has ever ate, the onion rings were home made and massive. We had sharing brownies and ice cream sundaes for dessert and this too was scrummy, the ice cream was beautiful and I am a bit of an ice cream snob. Overall I think this place is fantastic, the food is super yummy with generous portions, service was excellent and value for money was excellent too. I wish we lived closer so we could visit here more often, but we will definately be back, next time we are in Norfolk.

Many thanks to all at The Feathers for a warm welcome and gorgeous food, which made our anniversary meal special. I also wanted to say how refreshing it is to see a pub in this area, serving actual pub food, having seen some of the other pub menus which were overly fancy. You cannot beat, proper pub food, cooked well and using fine ingredients.

• Visited August 2014

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tasty and relaxing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014

So me and my boyfriend wanted to try something different from the typical city centre restaurant therefore we decided to give this establishment a try. With an unsure aspect on what to expect we where both where pleasantly surprised. As soon as we stepped foot into the restaurant we where both greeted by a happy face and a warm hello and shown a table straight away. Something which we both find rare in many places we had previously visited. We both ordered our food he had the suet pudding and me being fussy asked the waitress if I could swap the beef burger for a chicken one and it wasn't an issue at all. When the food came out there was plenty of it my chicken burger was moist and the bread bun was soft he said his pudding tasted amazing best one he had tasted in a long time. We both decided to try and demolish a rocky road sharer too for desert which had possibly the some of the best ice cream in ever. The overall atmosphere of the place was relaxing and spacious (we where sat near the window looking into the garden). Also the service was really friendly, quick and the waitresses have an attitude which I wish more places we visited had.

• Visited July 2014
“"Best Traditional Restaurant In Norwich"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

Returning visit last night for our wedding anniversary and how special were we made to feel, table looked lovely with candles and flowers arranged with Nina via my husband.
The meal was excellent starting with baked camembert with artisan bread and homemade chutney ( i asked for the recipe ) followed by the pulled pork burger so tender, served with homemade onion rings and coleslaw and yes i had to have chip's as well, hubby went for the tried and trusted steak and ale pie never fails to hit the spot, plenty of fresh veg to go with.
And finally could not resist caramel apple tart and icecream superb.
Thankyou everyone for such a lovely time see you soon.

Visited July 2014
“So much potential!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

This restaurant isnt in a particularly interesting setting, so it needs to be made more attractive....especially as this place is on the edge of a busy main road! Good size car park though!
Inside reminds me of when i attended a function there in the 70's! The entrance needs to be more welcoming....including one specific person to be front of house! Too much empty space doing nothing and not feeling cosy! The music was dated, there was a casual atmosphere but the staff were considerate and attentive! Food was plentiful and nice! If you are used to uptodate gastropubs this isnt for you....it really is the cuisine of yester year and fine dining for that clientele! Friendly bunch!

“It is ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

We have eaten at the old feathers a few times now and it is just ok. The food is fresh and the portions are generous but it is just ok. The menu is fairly standard for a pub and the most recent visit, my Mum and I felt rushed and hassled with the waitress wanting to clear our plates before we had finished. Would I return, unlikely, there are better places nearby.

• Visited June 2014