“Pre-theatre dinner.”
Review of The Assembly House

The Assembly House
Ranked #27 of 870 Restaurants in Norwich
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Assembly House is a beautiful Georgian building located in the heart of Norwich City centre close to the two major shopping malls and travel links. The Assembly House specialises in traditional Afternoon Teas, which are offered Monday to Saturday. They also open for breakfast and brunch, business and leisure lunches, and pre theatre dining. Weddings, private dining events and large coroprate functions are also catered for in various sized functions rooms throughout the magnificent building.
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We booked for the pre theatre dinner, three courses for two people with wine:-bargain!
The environment and atmosphere are lovely, staff were very nice and attentive. Its a big room so did feel a bit chilly.
I chose cauliflower soup for starters which was beautiful, the choice was good with something to suit everyone. Very good and would recommend.

2  Thank Joda1988
Sam M, Manager at The Assembly House, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Dear Joda1088
Thank you for your kind words on your recent visit for Pre Theatre dinner.
The staff are glad to hear you enjoyed your experience. Our 3-2-1 menu proves very popular with both theatre and non theatre goers. The 3 courses for 2 people with 1 large carafe of wine all for £40 proves to be great value with our customers and we are pleased to hear you thought so too.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

I booked one of the rooms as a surprise for my daughter's birthday and the staff were very helpful and the communication was brilliant throughout. We chose the high tea, we had as much tea and coffee as we wanted and a menu of a selection of sandwiches and cakes which were delicious - although we didn't realise they would fill up the plates as they emptied and at first we were a bit cautious what we took so everyone had a piece!! The service was second to none, a very polite waiter who we all thought a star!! I would recommend the assembly house for a lovely friendly place to book for high tea and cakes- they were great :0)

Dear Lorraine,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent private dining Afternoon Tea experience.
I have passed your kind words to Adam who looked after you and your party on the day.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

A year on and this is still the best place for lunch. It was my birthday treat and it did not disappoint. All four meals were excellent as was the service. My trio desert was amazing. Will most definitely be back. I wish this place was in Hampshire.

1  Thank Lorna J

Dear Lorna J,
Many thanks for your kind review. We are all very pleased to hear to enjoyed your Birthday lunch and are glad you decided to spend it with us.
The lemon trio dessert you had is a favourite and will stay on our new menu!

Reviewed March 10, 2014

I love coming to the Assembly House and on previous occasions have visited for pre-theatre dinner, lunch, and afternoon tea. This was my first time for breakfast but as always it was a great experience. Good service delivered with a smile and nice food which hit the spot. A minor niggle but would have been nice to have been offered a coffee refill.

Sam M, Manager at The Assembly House, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Dear 'LoobyLoo'
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent visit to us for Breakfast. We are very pleased to hear that you have enjoyed everything our restaurant has to offer from Breakfast through to pre theatre supper.
We are currently working on and improving our breakfast menu ready for our next menu launch on a couple of weeks time so please do pop back again soon for even more exciting and new things on the menu.
Many thanks.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

We had the pre-theatre supper. The soup of the day was tomato, but when it arrived it turned out to be leek and potato - no warning. The beef stroganoff was a small version of a school dinner, and the vegetarian main tasted distinctly odd. The cheesecake managed to be both sticky and dry, and the rhubarb element was undetectable. One star for the surroundings, one star for the cooking.

Sam M, Manager at The Assembly House, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Dear 'Buffin1'
Firstly thank you for choosing to visit us at The Assembly House on Tuesday evening this week.
I would like to pass on our apologies for the lack in communication between our Kitchen and Front of House teams in regards to the wrong soup being offered. It was at the time of the soup needing to be delivered to your table that I myself, became aware of the change. rather than keep you waiting I chose to bring the soup to the restaurant, along with the other starter ordered to ask if you were happy to have the alternative soup. I also offered a to get a different starter for you reassuring that it would not take more than 2 minutes. You replied that you were happy to have the leek and potato soup. I'm sorry to hear that you have retrospectively changed your mind on this and that it is now an upsetting issue in regards to your dining experience.
I'm sorry to hear that you felt the beef stroganoff dish was not a large enough portion, I have passed this comment on to our chefs for consideration. In terms of the vegetarian dish, please could you email me with further explanation as to why it was 'distinctly odd' so that I can look into this issue for you and give you some sort of explanation or response. We always like to try and deal with any issues that we get whilst diners are still with us. We encourage and give the opportunity for customers to let us know of any dissatisfaction at the time of 'checking back' your table during your meal, as I did with your table of 2 on Tuesday evening. Had these two issues been brought up at the time, we would have done everything within our capabilities to put them right for you. It is always difficult to deal with situations in the Hospitality business retrospectively.
Lastly, in regards to the cheesecake, your comments have been passed on to our pastry chef. The sweet rhubarb is blended through the cheesecake mix before baking which gives it a slightly sticky texture.
I thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor and hope that my comments have helped. Please could you email me with further comment on your experience, notably on the vegetarian dish mentioned in your review so that I can also look into this for you with our kitchen team. sam@assemblyhousenorwich.co.uk
Kind regards, Sam