“Very comfortable, clean and convenient”
Review of Broadview Lodge

Broadview Lodge
London, United Kingdom
“Very comfortable, clean and convenient”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

The reception staff were extremely pleasant, the whole set-up is cool and clean and very efficient. Breakfast is optional which is good. Lovely views across the fields and the lakes.
But unfortunately I stayed on a Saturday night and the noise of parties and student revelry went on until 6am. I had to have the window open because the room was quite warm. I didn't feel very refreshed the following morning! This is a shame because the place would be ideal when visiting my daughter at UEA. Any tips about which nights might be quiet?!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

olwyn e, Manager at Broadview Lodge, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments about our Reception team and Broadview Lodge generally. Unfortunately, the geographical situation does mean that there are sometimes noise issues but this is not every night by any means and I am so sorry that you had disturbed sleep. We are hoping that we will soon be able to link our website to other events taking place across UEA and this will hopefully raise awareness of LCR concerts,parties etc which are often the cause of campus noise. Any guests disturbed by noise may contact UEA Security colleagues who are always happy to have a diplomatic word at source. I do hope that you will stay with us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I booked a room at Broadview Lodge thinking it would be a quieter alternative than staying the night in my son's room on campus... WRONG. I left the relative peace of his room at 10.30 to arrive at my room to hear a full on student party on the floor below. Despite ear plugs the noise was very intrusive compounded by an equally irate guest in an adjoining room hammering on the floor! Security were called and the noise subsided but it was well after midnight before it was quiet enough to sleep. Although I fully expected some outside noise given the location of the rooms, had I known there was student accommodation located immediately below I would have had my sleepless night in my son's halls and given him the £54! Very disappointing and I won't be returning, which is a shame as the location is excellent for visiting parents and the room was clean and perfectly adequate for the price.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
olwyn e, Manager at Broadview Lodge, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Thank you for your review - and for your honest feedback. I was informed by Security colleagues of this disturbance and can only apologise for your poor quality of sleep that night. I have spoken with the student accommodation manager and he has assured me that he will take every possible action to prevent such a recurrence of this situation. Student noise is by no means a nightly (or even weekly) occurrence but is sometimes sadly a down side of the convenience of a campus stay. Please accept my apologies once again for your unsatisfactory stay.

Travelers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Good for location, can't argue with price either, everything is nearby on campus so very handy. They could improve the shower as it's low down and not ver powerful, needs more pressure. But overall fairly satisfied. They walls a quite thin but still good.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

olwyn e, Manager at Broadview Lodge, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback - guest experience is very important to us. I am glad that you found our location on campus so convenient for you but apologise for the low pressured shower - this will be investigated and corrected!
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Location is fantastic for me as I am visiting my child who is in UEA...we got a family room this time which was fantastic, the room comes with tea making facilities and biscuits which is very cool. A brand new fridge was brought in when we complained the fridge was faulty. Saturday night was so noisy but I assumed students are given a part of the place to reside in...Room is serviced everyday..lovely staff...it's just a nice place to stay even though I think it's a bit pricey...Would recommend if you have business in the campus. And will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Room 1 if it's available.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. Broadview Lodge is indeed an ideal base for you to stay whilst visiting your son or daughter and I am glad that you feel we look after you - guest comfort and care is our priority. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed February 16, 2014

This B&B is situated over the main halls of residence at the University of East Anglia in Norwich.
I stayed here for over a month in January 2014 and found it to be extremely noisy and unruly, with students carrying on until all hours of the morning. Staff running the B&B had a very laisse faire attitude and were not terribly helpful, doing the bare minimum to kept their job.

Pros: Located on UEA campus, which is the only plus I can see. The breakfast provided was varied and ok.

Cons: Noise levels were completely unacceptable. Students coming and going all hours of the day and particularly night! I had to repeatedly call security at UEA and they were completely useless. The B&B is unstaffed overnight so there is no one to complain to even if they were capable of doing something to quell the noise levels. Overall, the B&B staff were helpful, but they did seem very lackadaisical and not particularly responsive to basic requests to reduce the noise levels. Also a very big negative is the fact that there are no kitchen facilities at all available to B&B guests. Something which would have been appreciated as I was there for well over a month. The noise levels in the rooms are terrible as well and I could easily hear conversations, TV,etc, between the rooms in the B&B and from the noisy and inconsiderate students living below you.

All in all, it was like being in prison!!! Avoid at all costs, if at all possible!!!

Room Tip: If you need to sleep get a room away from the main courtyard with its many noisy students.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank OttawaTravel2012
olwyn e, Manager at Broadview Lodge, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry to hear that you had such an unpleasant four week stay with us and compare us to a prison. Unfortunately, we have no possibility of providing kitchen facilities and so are able to market ourselves only as B&B accommodation rather than self catering. Regrettably the geographical situation of Broadview Lodge, whilst giving excellent access to campus facilities, also means that there is some student noise - it is most unusual that Security were not able to help with your concerns, and I shall follow this up with them. Reception staff are on duty to help with any concerns or queries and I am concerned that you felt that both they and myself were not helpful. Do please contact me direct at Broadview Lodge, so that I may personally take up any issues which you feel were not resolved whilst you were with us.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Lovely room. Everything you needed was in the room and the staff were lovely. Situated in the heart of the campus too.
Highly recommend!
I stayed there as I had a interview in the university grounds and it was perfect as i had a desk and an oportunity to access the internet.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

olwyn e, Manager at Broadview Lodge, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feed back. We are so glad that you had a comfortable stay with us, Natalie. Broadview Lodge is indeed ideally situated for guests who have interviews on or around campus, and the recent introduction of free of charge internet usage has proved to be very popular. We hope your interview went well and hope to see you back studying or working at UEA.
Penzance, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2014

The rooms are fine, with everything you need; a good student room. The main plus is that Broadview is right in the middle of the UEA campus, so you can visit the Sainsbury Centre (but note: not on Mondays), take your granddaughter to an interview or do whatever University-associated errand or visit and it will be extremnely convenient. Unless you have a car, transport into Norwich is by bus (very regular service and close by) or taxi.
Breakfast is provided across the campus in the student cafeteria and it is exactly what you would expect from that description.
A big plus is that the reception staff and extremely pleasant and helpful.
The only way of adjusting the temperature appears to be by opening the window a small slot or, in the summer, by using the little fan provided. I suspect this room will be very hot in summer; it was certainly rather hot and stuffy in the winter.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

olwyn e, Manager at Broadview Lodge, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thank you for your review and for the very nice things you say about us. We are glad that you had a comfortable stay with us and hope to see you again should your grandaughter chose to study at UEA.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwich
Holiday Inn Norwich City
#3 of 50 in Norwich
Wensum Guest House
Wensum Guest House
#14 of 81 in Norwich

Been to Broadview Lodge? Share your experiences!