“Excellent dining experience”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Hong Kong Fusion is a lovely atmosphere to eat in. My mum and I always go here to eat the dim sum which is simply delicious. My mum who is Cantonese says it is the best dim sum in Norwich. Dinner is great too- seabass is highly recommended. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Excellent value for money! Every time I return to Norwich, I make a trip to the Hong Kong Fusion for 100% guaranteed dining excellence.

There are newer reviews for Hong Kong Fusion Restaurant and Bar

Reviewed February 21, 2013

We were after a rather early tea (6pm!) on a cold Tuesday night, so we were on our own til about 7pm, but it was still a very friendly place. The staff were really helpful in suggesting menu choices, and we felt very relaxed.

The food itself was delicious and a very fair price. I had an enormous portion of crispy pork belly - perfect meltingly-crispy crackling and a very tasty dipping sauce. Perfect with a side serving of bok choi in garlic sauce. My husband had the chilli salt tofu which was a huge surprise - neither of us are veggie but he thought he'd give it a go, and it was SO tasty.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

We've recently had a Taiwanese lady staying with us - she was travelling with a party of Taiwanese schoolkids as the group leader. The company organising the trip arranged an evening out in Norwich and took them all to Hong Kong Fusion. As it's located in the hell-hole of Prince of Wales Road, the heart (if you can use the term for such a clearly heartless dump of an area) of Norwich's nightclub scene, I thought it would be pretty dire. However, on her return our guest was raving about the place, saying it was better than any Chinese restaurant in Soho's Chinatown, London - and she is much and widely travelled, so should know.

Intrigued, we therefore thought we'd give it a go and since the lady was with us for another week, suggested we take her there again so she could steer us through the menu and suggest some of her favourite dishes.

As most people know, what passes for Chinese food outside China and the Far East often bears little resemblance to the home-produced stuff, but it seems the difference isn't so great, at least if our Taiwanese connoisseur was to be believed. The menu at Hong Kong Fusion comes in several parts, one of which is only in Chinese (Cantonese, rather than Mandarin) script. I think there were three different menus, which was a bit mind-blowing. One of them was devoted to Dim Sum as I recall and we started with pork dumplings, which were delicious.

The staff were young and funky - our cheerful Anglo-Chinese waitress listened to our Taiwanese guest gabbling away to her in Mandarin, but I got the impression she wasn't getting it all. She admitted that she speaks Cantonese and only a little Mandarin, so my impression was correct. Another waiter/barman appeared to understand Mandarin a little better, but given the origins of Chinese restaurants in the UK - ie mostly started by immigrants from Hong Kong, where the first language was Cantonese, at least until HK was handed back to China, this isn't surprising.

An encouraging sign was that the place was well-patronised by Chinese people, who were chomping and slurping away happily enough.

Another dish we really enjoyed was based on spicey bean curd, while another we chose after spotting it on another party's table was some exotic-looking greens known colloquially as 'empty hearts', since they had hollow stems but were a little bit like purple sprouting broccoli. It was good to have some vegetables, as they offset the slightly unhealthy feeling you can get after eating Chinese good, which is big on meat, carbs and sticky sauces, but often short on nutritional balance, especially fibre.

Our Taiwanese visitor had ordered a duck dish next, which certainly had a good flavour, but which was way too fatty and boney., at least for my taste and diet. It's basically the whole side of a duck, hacked into small pieces on the bone, then cooked. Our guest sucked the fatty meat off the pieces of bone enthusiastically and I managed a couple of morsels just to keep her happy, but it really wasn't my thing and even my wife, whose gastronomic tastes are much more catholic than mine, didn't rate it very highly either.

The usual range of quaff-able Chinese beers was available and there were soft drinks too. Didn't try the wine list so can't comment on what other reviewers have said.

Was HK Fusion exceptional? Hmmm - not sure. Certainly there were some very good flavours in the food but if my wife and I had been on our own, we would probably have made a different selection. Given the location I would recommend visiting the restaurant well before the nightclubs get going - I imagine it can get a bit grim once the lagered-up clubbers emerge from their Dantean frolics and start looking for something to eat.

My initial inclination was to give the place a 'very good' rating, because I think it was better than average - I wish Trip Advisor would create a 'good' category, as it's too big a drop from 'very good' to 'average' and 'very good' is too close to 'excellent' in my view, but I wouldn't give HK Fusion a 'very good' rating, so it'll just have to be average. Friends who've been there have also commented that the food is expensive for what it is. I didn't really consider that on this occasion as we weren't paying, but the bill came to about £80 for the three of us and we didn't have wine or puddings.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

went to the hong kong fusion saturday evening had a great night 21 people the food was great as usual the beer and wine flowed freely we all had a great night not one person moaning which IiIs unusual with a large party thank you Tak and Karen

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Just awful ...food was the worst we have ever had ! Fatty, gristle, nasty food.
We ordered wine and when the lady came back with it she unscrewed the top and just poured it and walked away .I noticed it was not the one we ordered but was not too fussed until I saw on the bill we had been charged for the more expensive bottle ! If you want this type of food stay away from here and order a home delivery it will be nicer and a lot cheaper ....Waste of a good night and money .

1  Thank ElsieEffie