“Family weekend trip”

Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Whitby, United Kingdom
“Family weekend trip”
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Pleasant hotel with good facilities
Decor a bit tired and dated
Enjoyed the pool facilities with 2 children who thought the pool was excellent
Not much outlook hotel in more of an industrial area rather than Norwich city itself

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank Karen G
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you found our facilities good and that you enjoyed our Leisure Club. With regards to your comments on the decor; I can confirm that we are currently undergoing a programme of refurbishment which will be an ongoing process throughout the year. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Polish first
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

The Hotel is located on the Norwich ring road within easy walking distance to asda, Mc Donalds and a pub.
It is clean and tidy and the worn out carpets can overlooked, however the staff conduct can not.
They are generally rude and clueless on how to work in a Hotel.
You can expect to hear the staff using very colourful language taking full opportunity to use every known swear word in the English language. And having the kitchen staff banging metal trays together outside the guests rooms at 06:30 while shouting I think everyones f.....awake now which was clearly considered as the height of comedy. A sentiment I did not share after a long flight and a short night.
Waitresses will inturupt while you are speaking to your wife and think nothing of leaning across the table over your food while you are trying to find an edible piece.
Should you dare to complain you will find complete indifference from the staff.
I was surprised to see this Hotel with 3 stars. It is not to European standards even one star would be considered as highly optimistic.
First and last time.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank engelhardt61
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
It is difficult to know where to start with a reply because I absolutely do not recognise this description of my hotel, nor have I ever received a review anything like this. If it is true then I need to apologise unreservedly but would most welcome a personal telephone call from the reviewer.

Travelers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2014

My husband and I stayed here over Easter weekend and we had a fantastic stay.
We were welcomed upon arrival and the reception staff were helpful throughout the whole stay.
We stayed in room 78 which was on the 1st floor. The room was modern and clean.
We didnt eat at the hotel as we think that the hotel is quite highly priced however there is a weatherspoons across the road which serves a full english for £5pp.
The hotel has a sauna, jacuzzi, steam room and swimming pool. The swimming pool is small however is great to chill out and relax. Even over Easter the swimming pool was never over crowded.
you can walk into Norwich which takes about 1 hr at most or a taxi is about £8 each way.
The hotel is next to a fairly main road through Norwich however we never found this an issue.
Would highly recommend this hotel and looking forward to our next stay with Mercure Norwich.

Room Tip: room 78 was modern and very clean. over looked a little pretty court yard.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am so pleased that you had a fantastic stay. Your kind comments are very much appreciated and I am delighted that you would recommend us. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.
Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2014

This hotel was more than a little disappointing. Very basic with terrible internet connection. I was here for a work trip and was unable to get even close to a satisfactory level of internet access. I was treated like a nuisance from check in to check out, and treated with similar disdain when I asked for a receipt at the bar.

The room was hot and very dated and the window opened directly onto the car park at the front of the hotel so I was unable to sleep with the window open as I was concerned from a safety perspective. The are surrounding the hotel was not very nice. The bed in my room was past it's best and uncomfortable. I did not eat in the hotel or attend the gym because the whole place did not look clean. Had I had another option I would have checked straight out and gone somewhere else.

My advice is to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Helpful staff and great customer service are more usual comments received from our guests so I sincerely apologise that you did not find this so during your visit. The good news is that our internet connections are being upgraded but again we only receive limited negative feedback regarding bandwidth and speed. I will ensure that my team are fully aware of your comments regarding customer service and I assure you that we will be not be satisfied until 100% guest satisfaction is achieved.
Peterborough
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Stayed here on Good Friday with my wife, had a privilege room for two with dinner and breakfast, hotel reception was very friendly and helpful, the brassiere restaurant is lovely and had a great meal, breakfast was ok, same as many chain hotels, pool is small but nice to have a dip,
I personally recommend paying a bit extra and going for the privilege room as the bed was great, free movies.. And little extras which makes a difference
The staff are very helpful and lovely, will happily stay here again

Well done!

Room Tip: Privilege rooms if you can afford to..
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay. Your kind comments about my team and your dinner are greatly appreciated and I am so pleased that you enjoyed the little extras that come with our upgraded privilege rooms. We look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit to Norwich.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2014

I agree with most of the reviews that this is a 3 out of 5. Decent for the price, but I can't understand how this is a 4 star hotel in any way.

Positives first:
Staff are attentive
Room was reasonably quiet for being near a main road
Check in and out were easy
Price was reasonable

Negatives:
Hotel is very tired and worn and needs a makeover
Breakfast is very poor: fruit selection was largely a few badly bruised bananas, porridge had thick, cold skin on top
Gym pretty poor: a few machines broken, paper towel dispenser and sanitiser empty etc
Wifi: advertised as free (which it is) but it resembles wifi from a decade ago. Extremely slow
No hotel information in room about anything (facilities, restaurant, gym etc)
Bath in room a bit stained - didn't fancy having a bath in it
Taxi's always arrived about 15 mins late (may not be hotel's fault).

Not the worst hotel I've stayed in, and a good price. I wont be returning though.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I was however disappointed to read that some aspects of your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincere apologies. I can confirm that we currently undergoing a rolling programme of refurbishment; this will be an ongoing process throughout the year. I can also assure you that I will be taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns on other points raised in your review. Thank you again for your time; your feedback has been most helpful.