“Excellent Service, yet again ...”

Mercure Norwich Hotel
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Last week i took a number of key customers, to the Mercure Norwich Hotel, for a meeting / something to eat. The service was 1st class, as usual and the food in the restaurant was exactly what we wanted (hot, served on time & tasted delicious).

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Thank you for your review, I am delighted that your meeting and meal with us was a success and I am so pleased that you found our service 1st class. Thank you again for your time and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Norwich Hotel again in the future.

Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

We have visited the Mercure on a couple of occasions and always been highly satisfied and this stay was no different. Staff all extremely friendly and helpful. Rooms spacious and comfortable. Ate in the restaurant one night and food was beautiful, great value for money. The choice for breakfast was a pleasant surprise, I'm not a massive fry up fan but that wasn't a problem as there was a large selection of alternatives to choose from ( the eggs Benedict was lovely) All in all another enjoyable stay in Norwich and we will be back very soon

• Stayed: March 2014

Thank you for your review. It is wonderful when our guests keep coming back and are highly satisfied with their stay each time. Your kind comments about my team, your room and dinner are very much appreciated. Thank you also for your kind comments about our breakfast. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

My Wife and I have just returned from a two night stay at Mercure Norwich Hotel.Again great value for the money.Room was clean and spacious,the breakfast and evening meal were of top quality and the service was the same.The pool,sauna and steam room were used many times and again very clean.Short walk up the hill for bus into Norwich,a nice City to visit especially the main Cathedral.Fully recommend this hotel with all the staff being helpful and smiling all the time...

Room Tip: any room is ok.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the hotel and its facilities. Thank you also for your kind comments about my team. I do hope you will stay with us again next time you visit our beautiful city.

Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

I visited the Mercure saturday 5th to the sunday 6th. Everything ran fine on the saturday night it was when we awoke for our breakfast on sunday that everything was just a disaster. We arrived for breakfast and had to wait for our table for at least 15 minutes while we were continuously being ignored- when we finally sat down we were placed on a dirty table which never got cleaned! I could only assume the lady who served us was in charge as she was in a suit. When we went to get our food there was no juice for me and my husband, we reminded the lady but still no juice. There were no pastries so we went for the hot buffet which was probably more disappointing than having nothing in the first place!
If it wasn't for the young girl who finally took care of us we would have just got up and left!
If this is the sort of management you have for your supposed 4* hotel you need to seriously re-think your whole business.
I have never seen management been so careless, lazy, unattentive and rude before!! Maybe you should re-think completely about your staff and put the people who actually do a good job and work after the people who rely on others to do there own work for them.. Aka.. The management.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, but I was very disappointed to read about your breakfast experience; please allow me to express my sincere apologies. I will of course be taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns and prevent a future occurrence. Thank you again for bringing these points to my attention and I can assure you that this is not our normal standard of service!

Reviewed April 1, 2014

Had a fantastic weekend at the hotel with my girlfriends.
Arrived late on friday so got room service which was delicious!
Had breakfast saturday morning which had a wide range of hot & cold food.
The hotel is close to the city centre and just a short taxi ride from the cinema, restaurants & clubs.
Had dinner at the hotel saturday night which was amazing- great value for money.
Very friendly staff and clean rooms! Would come again!

• Stayed: March 2014
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you and your friends had an enjoyable stay with us. Your kind comments about the meals, staff and your room are very much appreciated. I am so pleased you would stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

We did get the Mercure Norwich at a great price so to a certain extent you pay for what you get! The hotel is ideal for business events located on the Norwich ring road and it has a big car park. If your there for leisure and to explore the City then the location does mean that unless you don't mind spending out for taxis then you have to use the bus system which once you know where the bus stops are works out ok. I would suggest however like some other out-of-centre hotels that the Mercure considers some form of shuttle bus service a few times a day. It would add a convenience factor for leisure guests.

Our room was spotlessly clean and located at the back of the hotel and was quiet which was great.

I think the main thing however that was missing was any form of welcome / information pack. Which to me seemed very strange, and I have never actually stayed anywhere before that did not have one of these in the room?

It did look out on a back car park and some sort of maintenance looking building, but unlike another reviewer moaning about lack of greenery that didn't particularly bother us.

The room however was dated and did not make us feel particularly special especially as it was also kitted out with a lot of disabled facilities (we are not disabled). The standard double bed was very small although relatively comfy if you didn't move about too much!

Finally in respect of the room the TV did work but it was very dated, and had a very slow menu system with no TV program guide. Also when switching channels it either took ages for the next channel to come on or it totally froze and required the power switching off and on again.

The hotel does have a small swimming pool area with Jacuzzi, steam room, sauna room, and weights room. All ok to use if there's not many other people down there. Any more than about six people using the wet facilities and then its getting crowded!

The best things about the hotel were that the staff who were very pleasant, professional, and friendly. Also very useful that there's a small branch of NatWest in the car park which was handy for the cash point machine!

Room Tip: As for one at the back of the hotel away from the main road.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank olivda
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we always welcome guest feedback in order to continually improve our facilities and service. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your room and the location of the hotel; however I am pleased that your room was clean and quiet. I am also pleased that you found my team friendly and professional. With regards to the welcome pack I can confirm that all welcome information can be found on the television screen, I am sorry if this was not pointed out to you on arrival. Thank you again for your helpful feedback and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Norwich Hotel again in the future.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

The bed was one of the most uncomfortable I've slept in with the sheet directly on the mattress, the pillows rock hard and the constant drone of traffic in the background, and the snoring from the room next door. Paid £9 for the high speed wifi option only to find that tethering to my phone is faster.

Overall a rather unimaginative, poorly designed, serviced and presented hotel. A good B&B would have been a better option and better value.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I was however very disappointed to read that your experience was not a pleasant one, please accept my sincere apologies. At Mercure we strive to provide a superior stay for all of our guests and I can confirm I will be taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns. Thank you again for your time and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Norwich Hotel again in the future.