“Average but clean.”

Mercure Norwich Hotel
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Just got back from a couple of night in this hotel..Price was an'offer' so what was on offer was pretty good...We wanted to stay near to the city and this hotel is on the ring road running around Norwich. The road is a dual carriageway with constant heavy traffic.. also it is surrounded by an Asda, BQ and other huge shopping retail areas...This was a disappointing as there is not any greenery to be seen.
The hotel is very clean but general areas are a bit jaded. The staff were pleasant enough, although at the desk no one looked up as we walked by. The chamber maids were the only staff who said hello before we spoke to them.
Our room was clean and decorated in a modern manner. The bed was very comfy with good quality linen. The bathroom was extremely clean. The room had everythng you may have wanted, tea and coffee,iron,hairdryer etc. Plus a tv. all of that was ver good. Unfortunately we looked out onto bleak factory buildings which wasnt that pleasant, Both nights were extremely wet and windy and our window did not shut properly, this caused a howling noise and rattle, We did tell the desk on the Saturday morning, the receptionist who was very nice said they could not
do anything about it that day but we could move if we wanted to.. we did not move but that was ok by us.
We did not eat in the hotel in the evening as we thought the prices were expensve,
over ten pounds for a burger!!!We did have a coffee, but again expensive ... £3 for a filter coffee..As mentioned on a previous review, there is a Witherspoons opposite,which catered for all tastes and budgets..It was just a shame we felt we couldn't use the hotel restuarant because of the price.

Breakfast on the whole was very tasty. Cereal, fresh fruit, juice,cooked breakfast.toast, tea/coffee, Only one waitress serving,etc. I felt the hotel did not replenish the food enough..I had to wait for the fried eggs to arrive which made my toast cold. There was only sliced white bread on one day and then white and
brown on the next.. no croissants or bread you cut yourself despite signs telling you they had some. You could ask for haddock/kippers etc too. I just felt with a bit more effort the breakfast would have been an excellent experience.
All in all the hotel is ok and as mentioned very clean,but we felt with a bit more effort it could be a good hotel..

Room Tip: We had to go up some stairs to a room far from reception,no lift, so if mobility problems ask for ro...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Thank you for your very thorough review; your helpful feedback is very much appreciated. I am pleased you enjoyed your room and found it clean and comfortable and I will of course take the appropriate measures to address your concerns with regards to breakfast. Thank you again for your time and I do hope you will stay with us again on your next visit to Norwich.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Hotel slightly dated but clean and comfortable and all the staff I encountered were friendly and polite, especially Jill who looked after us very well every breakfast time.
Disappointed with the evening meal we had in the restaurant it was an expensive curry, but I decided to try it half and half as they advertised chunky chips. Unfortunately they were pale and not home made. Would have had a few more drinks in the bar but at nearly £5 for a their cheapest small glass of wine we spent most of our evenings in The Whiffler weather spoons pub across the road.
The so called free Wifi was useless couldn't even look at my BBC News app

Overall though I would stay again

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. I am sorry you were disappointed with your evening meal and the speed of the wifi; I appreciate you bringing this to my attention and I will of course look in to this. Thank you for your kind comments about the staff and I am pleased that you found our hotel clean and comfortable. I am delighted that you would stay with us again and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

I stayed there for 4 nights as part of a Company group meeting. The food the first night was disgusting. The turkey was extremely dry and all the vegetables had obviously been boiled to death and then reheated in a microwave. The desert consisted of lumpy custard poured over an undercooked crumble. Complained to the waitress who was nonchalantly dismissive. Breakfast next Morning consisted of food that had been cooked hours before and then placed under lamps at a medium temperature - good base for micro disease. The toast caught fire in the toaster as it was not toasting evenly. The same continued throughout the 4 Days but got worse. Eventually we all - I think 14 of us just moved out. Would you believe Stuart [--] emailed me - he is the so called General Manager - and asked for my comments. After he received them he accused me of being rude and unpleasant and to quote verbatim from his reply - I am sorry to say that your e-mail does not reflect well on you or your employer. He obviously does not want any truthful comments. Don't run the risk book elsewhere. I have requested a refund.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank avocadolibrian

I will politely decline my right to reply. I feel we have corresponded sufficiently.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

I stayed at the Mercure for the first time this week, I usually stay at Carrow road when I work in Norwich but thought I'd give the Mercure a go.

When I arrived (5pm), there was only one person on reception. With a bit of queue, I didn't feel particularly welcomed. In fact, I left to walk to my room not knowing where it was, had no details of breakfast and wasn't given any info of the fitness room/pool. No real complaints here though as I should have called her back and asked all these things.

Went for a swim, pool was really nice, lovely temperature and very clean.

The reason I am only giving the Mercure 3 stars is because of the ludicrous notion of pre setting in room air conditioning with no option to change it, purely an on-off function. As the temperature was only 5 degrees outside, the heating was (rightly) on. The trouble is that it makes rooms very warm which I find it difficult to sleep in. I put the air con on and read the plaque underneath the unit; "for your comfort, this unit has been pre-set to 19 degrees".

This was far too cold for the room, the resulting factor was a very poor nights sleep as I had to choose between temperatures of either very hot or very cold.

This would seem a fairly insignificant thing to be writing about, but it was the major influencing factor on the quality of my stay. The rest of the hotel is lovely, very nice breakfast and very nice waiting staff.

An air com remote in rooms would change my review from a 3 to a 4.

Unfortunately, as Mercure has gone to the trouble of investing in a gold plaque for every room informing you of your mandatory 19 degrees, I can't see this happening.

As quality of sleep is most important thing in selecting a hotel! I shan't be staying here again.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review but I was very disappointed to read that you didn't receive our usual warm Mercure welcome, please accept my sincere apologies. With regards to the pre set air conditioning - we have had this in place for five years and haven't had any operational issues. If our guests do require more flexibility with the temperature then I can of course look in to this; thank you for bringing this to my attention. Your kind comments about our leisure Club, breakfast and the waiting staff are very much appreciated and I do hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

We usually have a few days in Norwich between Christmas and new year, this year we were tempted by a very cheap deal at the mercure, on arrival I discovered that I have booked the wrong room, but we were given a 2 double bedroom, which was first class, flat screen tv, and all the nice bits, clean, well presented. The staff were great, though the hotel was very quiet, nothing was too much trouble, there is an excellent gym/pool which I used. The breakfast was another thing, they could not quite decide whether to put on a buffet style full British or Cook to order, also some basic bits were missing, like yoghurt and cold meats, I think this was just"finger" trouble, and what was supplied was good. Overall, considering the very good price, it was well worth it.

Room Tip: Don't book the wrong one!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Thank you for your review and a very Happy New Year to you! I am so pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Your kind comments about your room, the staff and our leisure club are very much appreciated. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Stayed here twice this year. Second stay was for 5 nights, both at Wensum Suite. Great room. Wifi needs improvement. The connection were both slow and unstable. Breakfast menu is typical Mercure so no surprise there. ASDA a few minutes walk away. Dinner menu have room for improvement.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed our Wensum Suite. Thank you also for your helpful feedback on the Wifi connection. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon; in the mean time I would like to wish you a very Happy New Year!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I have stayed in this hotel several times and have never been disappointed. Free parking, a swimming pool and clean rooms. The friendly local staff made us feel welcome yet again. Well done. There is a Wetherspoons pub across the road which serves good food for those who want to venture out.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your kind review. I am delighted that you had another lovely stay with us. On behalf of myself and my team, we wish you a very Happy New Year and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.