“Great hotel, good location”

Mercure Norwich Hotel
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
London, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, good location”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Great location plenty of free parking, 5 mins from city centre. If you don't want to drive local taxi into town £6.00 car for up to 3 persons (£3.00 bus fare)
Excellent service staff professional and friendly, two deserve special mention Rio & Kayliegh, who worked with a smile & were very helpful.
Breakfast was full English buffet with good choice, and frequently topped up so food was fresh and hot. Dinner was excellent, my husband had steak & I had sea bream both very well done.
Only thing that let's the place down is thr decor in public areas, looks dated fake beams straight out of the 70's and not in a chic retro way! Mercure really need to redecorate

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you so much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Thank you also for the 'special mention' of Kayleigh and Rio, I will of course pass on your kind words. I can confirm that we are currently undergoing a programme of refurbishment here at the hotel; this will be an ongoing process throughout the year. Thank you again for your time and a very Happy New Year to you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Polish first
Ipswich
Reviewed December 28, 2013

The hotel was easy to find and well located. I stayed as part of a group and I was delighted to find(maybe because I had been a very late booker?) that I had been given a family suite which was very comfortable indeed for a solo traveller!
The staff were all friendly and helpful, but this was let down by there being so few of them. There were several pre-booked Christmas break groups staying but to get a drink at either of the bars before dinner meant a very long wait as there was never more than one person(if that) behind the bar ready to serve. This also applied to the dinner service. The mainly young waiting staff were were working well, but it took a very long time for orders to be taken and then finally served. The food was OK and usually hot, but the quality of the ingredients let it down somewhat, in my opinion.
What really was bad apart from the first night, who went down very well and were actually entertaining,was the Live entertainment. We had the same act twice, and the performers completely failed to judge the level and mood of the audience- both times ! The artists simply churned out the same old patronising banter, and boring musical repertoire. Surely they should have noticed the audience getting up and leaving rather than take to the dance floor? Apparently not.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel fairly noisy even with windows closed.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Happy New Year to you! Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. I was very disappointed to read that some aspects of your experience did not meet your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies. Your helpful feedback has been very much appreciated and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 20, 2013

My girlfriend and I have stayed at the Mecure here several times, and every time has been lovely, in particular the breakfast in the morning! The staff have always been very helpful and friendly. Would highly recommend to anyone.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am so pleased that you have enjoyed another short break with us. I am delighted that you would recommend us and we look forward to welcoming you and your girlfriend back in the future.
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Lovely stay; the hotel is comfortable, welcoming & well maintained, the décor pleasing in pastel & warm colours, the staff friendly.

Sadly, for me , this weekend, what let the hotel down is at dinner; The dining room & kitchen did not have co-ordination. The handful of staff did their utmost to serve guests from two coaches together with private patrons in another dining room & orders from the bar all at the same time. This resulted in long waiting time between courses. This could have been avoided with better management skills.

The leisure facilities are excellent.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Thank you for your review, your kind comments about the hotel, staff and decor are very much appreciated. I am sorry that the service in the restaurant was slow; I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. I will of course meet with my heads of department to prevent a future occurrence. Thank you again and we hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
norfolk
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Confused as to some of the negative reviews of this hotel, myself and friends have stayed here on numerous occasions and always enjoy ourselves.
Hotel is only a short taxi/bus ride from city centre so is ideal if visiting Norwich city.
Very comfortable room, was at front of building but couldn't hear road noise.
Dinner and breakfast were both delicious with a wide range of options to choose from. My only disappointment is that I didn't have room for dessert!
Didn't use the pool/spa this time, but have on previous visits and it is always very relaxing!
Will be back in the near future when doing some serious Christmas shopping! (Norwich has a lovely Christmas market in front of Chapelfield shopping centre around this time of year, well worth a visit).
Thank you to the hotel and lovely staff for another fantastic stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your extremely kind review. I am delighted that you and your friends repeatedly stay with us and have a lovely time. Your kind comments about the rooms, staff, dinner and our leisure club are very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you all back for your Christmas shopping trip!
Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Stayed as a family in 3 Rooms for 2 nights travelling for a family funeral. Following an efficient and welcoming check in we arrived to find our rooms (3 Room Types, Twin Double and Family) all confortable and well appointed.Great Bar Service followed by a lovely Dinner with slick service in the in the Restaurant. ( Battered Haddock hit the Spot ! ) Breakfast was a buffet with included a good range of nicely cooked traditional english items.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thank you for your review. Your kind words are very much appreciated and I am delighted that you enjoyed all of our facilities. I will pass your comments on to my team, I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to improve the quality of our services. Thank you again and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.