“Ok but why so warm?”

Mercure Norwich Hotel
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The room was fine. The restaurant was far too hot as were all the corridors, fortunately the room temp was reasonable, especially after 5 mins of air con. The food was lovely but overpriced and with slow service, though perhaps it is some excuse that it was a Saturday evening with a large function in another room.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am sorry however that you found the hotel so warm; the weather has been a particularly mild for October and finding the right balance with heating is sometimes difficult. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your meal but disappointed that you found the service slow. Your helpful feedback is much appreciated and I do hope you will stay with us again on your next visit to Norwich.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Norwich Hotel

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We were spending the night in Norwich so needed to book a hotel. We didnt want to spend much more than £90 for the night which left us with a few options. The Travel Lodge was one and this hotel, which is not in the city centre but near the airport, was the other.
Think I would have preferred the Travel Lodge!
On arrival, there was quite large queue and only one lady on reception. Whilst polite, she was in no rush to get people checked in and was quite happy to chit chat with each and every person. There is a time and a place for small talk and it is not when there is a queue of frustrated people waiting to check in.
Other staff wandered behind reception, made personal phone calls and then wandered off. All adding to the frustration of all involved.
Finally got checked in and made our way to the rooms. Small, poorly furnished/decorated and cold. The heating didnt work and the beds were so soft I first thought they were under filled water beds.
I really couldnt face standing at reception to try and sort another room so just got on with it.
We didnt eat in the hotel at night so headed out.
We did have a drink in the rather drab bar when we got back. Again, the furniture and deocr is very dated and tired.
We went to bed and kind of slept but certainly not the greatest nights sleep.
Next morning we headed down to breakfast which we had prebooked for an additional £10 each. Nothing to write home about. We had to wait to be seated despite several empty seats. Without exception, every member of staff looked like they had just been told they had 2 hours to live. They were so miserable. Not one of them said good morning or even uttered a word to us. Just pointed.
We went to pick up the plates which were so hot my fingers instantly blistered! No Joke!
I asked for a slightly cooler plate. They brought me a plate which had clearly been in the fridge. My fault for complaining I guess.
Breakfast was OK to be fair although not worth the extra £10.
On the whole a poor experience. If you want to go mid/low price hotel, there are better ones available.

Room Tip: Try and choose a room in a different hotel!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am saddened that you left us feeling so dissatisfied with your stay; I hope you will accept my sincere apologies. Here at Mercure we strive to provide a superior experience for all of our guests and I am very disappointed that our service did not 'shine' on this occasion. Thank you again for your feedback, I will of course pass your comments on to my heads of department to aid staff training and to prevent a future occurrence.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Such a shame, a very old building, struggles to reach 3 stars never mind 4.
The breakfast is poor, (poached eggs were not cooked properly, hair in my food, croissants were left on the hot plate to go hard).
I never managed to get the coffee machine to work even after reporting it 3 times, and the WIFI was ineffective.
Needs a very large investment to upgrade to meet the Mercure standard.
Very disappointed, and would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Thank you for your review. I was however very disappointed to read that your stay was not the pleasurable experience I would have wished for you. Please accept my sincere apologies. Your feedback has been very helpful and can assure that I will be taking appropriate measures to address your concerns. I can confirm that we are currently undergoing a rolling programme of refurbishment in our bedrooms; this will be an ongoing process moving in to next year. I thank you again for your feedback and I sincerely hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

My wife and i stayed 13-15 09 13.The momment the sat nav took us onto an industrial estate our hearts sank. We booked way back in April as part of the Tesco scheme .It then took an agonizing 20MINS to book in, a mix up from the very start between voucher and tokens. Common sense prevailed thanks to NIGEL, were in. Did not have this problem ith the Hilton. The room was quiet as requested but the view over the industrial site was just visible through the filthy window.The room it self was clean ,tea/coffee and 1 packet of two bicuits. The bar ,asked if they stocked any local beer ? DONT KNOW came the reply .Any imported ? DONT KNOW, Is the draft larger genuine DONT KNOW ! we left the empty bar. We went exploring after approx 450 yards located The Whiffler pub ate their ,very good.The breafast was ok but on Sunday it had dryed up and had become tough ,we were the 1st in and no fried eggs ,other came and went with no chef in sight.On our 3rd night we came back mid eve the room had been done , no toiletreis and refolded WET towels from the morning . Having stayed with Mercure in Europe and being very good we were dissappointed with our stay The whole hotel design and layout was bad and for heavy luggage NO LIFT! Taxi into town centre £6.50 ,recomended as sat nav got confused in the narrow one way systems of Norwich and parking was £8 for 4 hours

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, but I am so very disappointed that your stay was not the pleasant experience I would have wished for you. Your feedback has been most helpful and has shown a lack of experience and training in some members of my team. Please accept my sincere apologies for your less than perfect stay and I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future so that we can show you our usual high standards of service and customer care.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Had two nights with a group and after reading some reviews I was not sure what to expect. Overall however the rooms were basic but clean and the dinner and breakfast, whilst not exceptional, were more than an acceptable. A good tourist class hotel which I would take my group back too.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you found our bedrooms clean and that your dinner and breakfast was to your liking. I am delighted that you would return to our hotel with your group and I hope your next review on Trip Advisor will state that your stay was exceptional and not just acceptable! We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Hotel was very good generally; room was clean and comfortable and stocked with all items we needed; staff friendly and helpful; the waitress who had only started on Tuesday of that week was very helpful; food good and tasty; our only complaint was that the dining room service was very slow; on the first evening dinner took over two hours, although it improved during the week; it seemed poorly organised.
Jean and Bernard Griffiths (Room 24).

1  Thank Bernard G
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We received lots of positive feedback from your group on check out and I am so pleased that your stay was enjoyable. I am sorry that your dinner service was slow on your first evening, but I am glad that it improved throughout your stay. Thank you again for your kind and helpful comments and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.