“Angela Coach trip from 9-13 September”

Mercure Norwich Hotel
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Hotel was very good generally; room was clean and comfortable and stocked with all items we needed; staff friendly and helpful; the waitress who had only started on Tuesday of that week was very helpful; food good and tasty; our only complaint was that the dining room service was very slow; on the first evening dinner took over two hours, although it improved during the week; it seemed poorly organised.
Jean and Bernard Griffiths (Room 24).

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bernard G
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We received lots of positive feedback from your group on check out and I am so pleased that your stay was enjoyable. I am sorry that your dinner service was slow on your first evening, but I am glad that it improved throughout your stay. Thank you again for your kind and helpful comments and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

We only stayed one night and did not use any faciilities apart from the bedroom. There was no climate control in the room but opening the windows did not help as they are only allowed to open a few inches. Even this brought in the heavy traffic noise from the ringroad. Although we had a double room there was only one bedside table and lamp and the TV screen was dirty. The corridors felt very tired and the hotel had an old fashioned feel.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I was however saddened to read that you were disappointed with your recent stay, please accept my sincere apologies. I can confirm that we are currently undergoing a rolling programme of refurbishment; this will be an ongoing process moving in to next year. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, perhaps in to one of our newly refurbished rooms.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Stayed for a couple of night using the last of my loyalty points. The staff were friendly and the room was functional. We had one with a double and 2 single beds.We were lucky in that we had air conditioning in the room, which we needed despite the horrible September weather. The double bed was very soft, but it was very comfortable

Food at breakfast was OK, just not a great choice on non-fried food. That said, the cooked food was tasty and hot (beware the plates are kept very hot)/

The biggest disappointment was the quality of the food in the bar. We ordered fish & chips and a 100% Aberdeen Angus burger. The fish was dry and the burger barely edible. Rather than a juicy burger, it was an industrialised patty. If I'd have been eating alone, it would have been sent back.

Basically, it's an OK hotel

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review but I was disappointed to read about your meal experience in our bar; please accept my apologies. We have recently changed our brasserie menu and have had some superb feedback, so I am sorry you left us feeling dissatisfied. Your comments about my team and breakfast are much appreciated and I am pleased that you found your room functional and your bed comfortable. I do hope you will consider staying with us again on your next visit to Norwich.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed 2 nights. Staff very polite & helpful. Standard of room was average although the carpet was very dirty as you entered room. Only one bedside table for a double room. When enqured where second side table was, was told only one is standard!! Offered to bring another table. The shower only emitted a dribble of water.

The breakfast first morning at 9am was limited. No fruit left. Cooked breakfast dry as was the coissants. Second day bit better. Was given the last 3 green tea bags for the room but to

Hotel could have been a lot better.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was however disappointed to read that some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies. Your feedback has been very helpful and we will of course take the appropriate measures to address your concerns. I am pleased that you found the staff here helpful and friendly. I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

We stayed for one night on August bank holiday weekend, the staff that greeted us were friendly and helpful - however didn't advise us where and when breakfast was the following morning which would have being helpful.

The hotel rooms are adequate, clean and functional however the corridors require some modernisation. There was no air conditioning, it was far too warm everywhere in the hotel including the dining room at breakfast, luckily we found a fan in the wardrobe in our bedroom which we were grateful for, which nicely cooled our room. Our bedroom was facing the main road so it was quite noisy with traffic noise with the window open.

The breakfast was ok too, again not the best we've ever had, there was nothing specifically wrong with it but it did lack variety and choice. In terms of value for money it is average.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you found the staff here friendly and helpful. I was however disappointed that we didn't 'wow' you during your recent stay with us. Your helpful feedback is appreciated and I hope that we will have another opportunity in the future to make a good impression.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Good for the price but not excellent, in other words this Mercure is at the budget end of the market but the pricing is a little high when compared to other chains. The location next to the ring road and on an industrial park is similar to what you might expect of a Campanile.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Thank you for your review. Mercure we strive to provide a superior experience for all of our guests and I am sorry that you did not find your stay 'excellent' Thank you again for your time and I do hope you will consider giving us another try in the future.

Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

States here for a single night on the 30th August, we had a block booking of rooms for our party, when we walked through the door we were welcomed with a friendly smile from behind the desk and also the general manager had a chat with us! After we caused much confusion for the lady checking us in, we decided to go to the bar and have a few drinks and a bite to eat, appart from the good being a little expensive for what was provided it was still really tasty! ( even at midnight!)
The rooms were comfortable and there is a little bit of road noise but nothing too major (the hotel is next to a main road) the breakfast is buffet style, and again welcomed as we entered the dining area, and the staff provided us with lots of coffee as we had a wedding to go to!
Overall this was a really enjoyable stay and would definately be my number one if I was to stay in the area again!

• Stayed: August 2013
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted that you and your party enjoyed your stay with us. Here at Mercure we strive to provide a superior service experience for all of our guests and I am so pleased that my team looked after you well. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.