“No air con and expensive food and drink”

Mercure Norwich Hotel
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
“No air con and expensive food and drink”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

I stayed here for a week whilst on a course w/c 22 July 2013, unfortunately the hottest week of the year. I had a small, south facing room with a huge window (which only partially opened) and...a fan! With outdoor daytime temperatures around 30c and night time temperatures around 23c, it was like living in an oven and consequently I only used the room when I absolutely had to. Just entering the corridor was like a wall of heat! Sadly the resultant lack of sleep adversely affected my progress on the training course which was held nearby.

I also soon discovered that the price of food and drink was outrageous. A large glass of red wine for £7.40 - pricier than most places in central London - and breakfast was a hefty £13.95. The dinner menu was similarly priced for average food.

The staff were in the main pleasant - no help offered for myself or elderly residents to carry bags upstairs though. One barmaid was quite rude when I asked for my coffee to be brought outside. Talking of outside, there is a very nice garden area but not open to guests as a rule as it's accessed through a function room. Shame.

So beware the claims of air con on the hotel website as it is not in every room! Expect to pay through the nose for food and drink and for the service to be average. Also no wifi for the whole week too.

Overall, even though my accommodation was paid for by my company, I would rather pay for myself and find a better hotel next time.

Room Tip: Ask for one with air con if in summer time.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for your review. Like the rest of Britain we have been struggling with the hot temperatures and whilst 75% of our rooms are air conditioned, inevitably some of our residents will miss out. I have to say that most of my staff were recording similar experiences in their own homes. I do consider our bar prices to be good value, our products excellent and the service of a great 4 star standard. Like yourself, most of our guests will stay on a breakfast inclusive rate and room only guests are always offered to purchase a breakfast at an extra cost of £10.00 on arrival. Thank you for your kind comments about the staff, these are very much appreciated.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Polish first
Palma de Mallorca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

It was 9 pm and the hotel I had booked turned out to be horrible so we needed somewhere to stay at the last minute. It was a beacon of relief after some hours of stress and worry.
Staff were helpful, the room was very nice for this standard of hotel and the breakfast was superb.
Recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your kind review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you also for your kind comments regarding your room, staff and our buffet breakfast. We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

My partner and I wanted to do a weekend break in Norwich to catch up with friends, we choose this hotel due to the onsite fitness suite. We read some comments on here before booking, and although most comments were encouraging, we went in with an open mind due to some negative comments we read.
I have to say we personally enjoyed our stay at the hotel, the staff were friendly, the breakfast buffet was good and the dinner was really nice, with the taste card accepted here too, it was very good value for money. The room was a good size and perfect for what we wanted.
I was happy with the fitness suite overall, and it is generally what you would expect for a four star hotel with gym and pool, the only criticism would be that there was not a larger variety of dumb bells avaliable and there is a large gap underneath the door in the sauna, so the heat did not really stay in.
Overall we enjoyed our stay and would use this hotel again, as its worth paying that little bit more than your cheap end hotels for the added luxury, I did not give it 5 out of 5 stars, due to the comments with the fitness suite, as this was the main reason choosing the hotel in the first place, but I would not stop this from visiting again in the future.

• Stayed July 2013
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I am so pleased that you found the staff friendly and enjoyed the breakfast buffet and evening meal. Thank you also for your helpful feedback with regards to our leisure club. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

The standard of the hotel was well below what I would expect of a four star hotel under the Mercure brand. The noise from the doors of other rooms closing was extreme and went on late into the night and started again before 6am. A request to the manager for a quieter room for the following night didn't seem to be taken particularly seriously as we were offered a much smaller room at the same rate which experienced the same level of noise from doors. Breakfast was also well below standard and cleanliness needed improvement.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am saddened that you were so disappointed with your recent stay with us. We strive to provide a superior experience for all of our guests and I am very sorry that your stay was not the pleasant one I would have wished for you. Your helpful feedback is appreciated and I do hope that you will give us another try in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

My son and I stayed at this hotel for a weekend break recently. The stay was really good value for money. The location of the hotel is satisfactory being very close to Norwich centre and the surrounding amenities.The food was very good with plenty of choices and all the staff were very courteous and helpful. We will stay here again in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. I am so pleased that you found our hotel good value for money and that it was in a good location. Thank you also for your kind comments about the food and the staff here. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Norwich.
bolton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

I have stayed hear a couple of times now on business and although some of the rooms are nice it does depend which you get. I was on 34 last time which was very dark and only a small window which opened out onto a car park at ground level.Also it appears to be on the First Floor but then you go dwon 2 flights of stairs to get to a it, a little difficult with luggage.
The staff though are really helpful, though the room service menu appeared out of date a they didint serve half the items I tryed to order off it, also limited TV channels. The wifi did work though and was free a bit of a pain that you have to re log in after a cerain amount of time. I cant comment on breakfast as I didn't have it. An Ok hotel for a few days.

Room Tip: Dont settle for room 34!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your bedroom on your most recent visit. We are currently undergoing a rolling programme of refurbishment in our rooms; this will be an ongoing process moving into next year. I am pleased that you found my team helpful; we all take great pride in providing excellent customer service. Your review has been very helpful to me and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.
Queenstown, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for three nights while visiting our daughter who is working in the area.

Hotel is in urgent need of an upgrade. Smokers hang around a small deck right at the front door.

Reception staff are not particularly attentive.

The air conditioning broke down in our room on the first night. Reception staff didn't seem particularly surprised when reported the next morning. I asked to change room which they agreed to, but declined the first room offered as it was dirty and old.

Bed was small and uncomfortable.

In summary needs an upgrade, staff need training in customer service and smokers need to be moved from the front door.

There were plenty of staff, they were just not focused on customer service.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, but I was saddened to read that you were disappointed with your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies. As you may have read on some of my other replies, we are currently undergoing a programme of refurbishment as we are aware that some of the rooms are looking a little 'tired' I am surprised by your comment about unattentive staff on reception, most of the comments we receive are about our 'friendly and helpful' staff. Again please accept my apologies for any shortfalls on your recent stay and I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.