“very enjoyable weekend break.”

Mercure Norwich Hotel
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My son and I stayed at this hotel for a weekend break recently. The stay was really good value for money. The location of the hotel is satisfactory being very close to Norwich centre and the surrounding amenities.The food was very good with plenty of choices and all the staff were very courteous and helpful. We will stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us. I am so pleased that you found our hotel good value for money and that it was in a good location. Thank you also for your kind comments about the food and the staff here. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Norwich.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I have stayed hear a couple of times now on business and although some of the rooms are nice it does depend which you get. I was on 34 last time which was very dark and only a small window which opened out onto a car park at ground level.Also it appears to be on the First Floor but then you go dwon 2 flights of stairs to get to a it, a little difficult with luggage.
The staff though are really helpful, though the room service menu appeared out of date a they didint serve half the items I tryed to order off it, also limited TV channels. The wifi did work though and was free a bit of a pain that you have to re log in after a cerain amount of time. I cant comment on breakfast as I didn't have it. An Ok hotel for a few days.

Room Tip: Dont settle for room 34!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your bedroom on your most recent visit. We are currently undergoing a rolling programme of refurbishment in our rooms; this will be an ongoing process moving into next year. I am pleased that you found my team helpful; we all take great pride in providing excellent customer service. Your review has been very helpful to me and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed for three nights while visiting our daughter who is working in the area.

Hotel is in urgent need of an upgrade. Smokers hang around a small deck right at the front door.

Reception staff are not particularly attentive.

The air conditioning broke down in our room on the first night. Reception staff didn't seem particularly surprised when reported the next morning. I asked to change room which they agreed to, but declined the first room offered as it was dirty and old.

Bed was small and uncomfortable.

In summary needs an upgrade, staff need training in customer service and smokers need to be moved from the front door.

There were plenty of staff, they were just not focused on customer service.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, but I was saddened to read that you were disappointed with your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies. As you may have read on some of my other replies, we are currently undergoing a programme of refurbishment as we are aware that some of the rooms are looking a little 'tired' I am surprised by your comment about unattentive staff on reception, most of the comments we receive are about our 'friendly and helpful' staff. Again please accept my apologies for any shortfalls on your recent stay and I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

I stay here regularly for work. Rooms are clean and tidy. Food can be a little hit and miss, but any issues are dealt with quickly and are always resolved by the management. Happy to stay here out of work.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review, I am so pleased that you keep coming back to stay with us for work and delighted that you would choose to stay here on a leisure break. I am sorry that you sometimes find the standard of food disappointing, but am glad that issues are resolved quickly and to your satisfaction. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel because of the free wifi but when i got there we noticed that the speed of the internet was 256k unless we paid to get better speed. The food was all pre packaged which was confirmed by a member of the restaurant staff and they tried to charge me for something i didn't even have. Would not recommend this hotel which is a shame because i like the mercure chain

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was however, disappointed to read that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies. With regards to your comments about the food, although several of the items that we have on our menu are a bought in product, I can confirm that the majority of the dishes are freshly cooked on the premises. Thank you again and I do hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

I went to this hotel last weekend for a 2 night break but ended up leaving after 1 night. The staff were very unwelcoming and seemed to try to ignore you. The room was very small for 2 people and it was laid out for 1 person even though they knew there were 2 people booked in. There was 1 bath towel, the other 1 was put away in the wardrobe, 1 shower gel, 1 shampoo and 1 packet of biscuits. There was a television but it was very bad reception and did not have Freeview. It seems a bit petty but these things add the finishing touches.
When we went down to breakfast in the morning we had to stand and wait to be seated. There was a member of staff but she seemed to walk out as we went in and went to have a chat with her friend on reception.
As for the breakfast i could only describe it in two words, very poor. I complained to the staff who took away our plates but it seemed a waste of time because all we got was 'I will pass it on to the chef'.
On checking out a day early, i complained to the receptionists but it was pointless.
Just as pointless as writing an e-mail to Stuart, the General Manager. who only seems to answer complaints on Trip Adviser.
I sent him an e-mail a week ago but i have not heard a word from him. I dare say i will get some response from him now.

Room Tip: Another Hotel perhaps?
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Having now received your email, I have taken the opportunity to reply to you directly addressing all of your issues.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

I stayed at the Mercure last weekend with my partner and we have a very enjoyable stay as we always do at the mercure. The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful, particularly the lovely girls on reception who helped us plan our day and suggested some great places for us to visit. We ate in the restaurant both nights and the food was fantastic as well as the service. We were extremely pleased with our weekend away and found the hotel great value for money. We would like to thank all the staff for such a lovely stay and we look forward to returning in september.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your kind review. I am delighted that you and your partner enjoyed your stay with us again. Thank you also for your lovely comments about my team and the food in the restaurant. I am so pleased you have already booked a return visit and we look forward to welcoming you back in September.