“Standard Hotel. Ticks all boxes”

Mercure Norwich Hotel
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I stay here regularly for work. Rooms are clean and tidy. Food can be a little hit and miss, but any issues are dealt with quickly and are always resolved by the management. Happy to stay here out of work.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Thank you for your review, I am so pleased that you keep coming back to stay with us for work and delighted that you would choose to stay here on a leisure break. I am sorry that you sometimes find the standard of food disappointing, but am glad that issues are resolved quickly and to your satisfaction. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel because of the free wifi but when i got there we noticed that the speed of the internet was 256k unless we paid to get better speed. The food was all pre packaged which was confirmed by a member of the restaurant staff and they tried to charge me for something i didn't even have. Would not recommend this hotel which is a shame because i like the mercure chain

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was however, disappointed to read that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies. With regards to your comments about the food, although several of the items that we have on our menu are a bought in product, I can confirm that the majority of the dishes are freshly cooked on the premises. Thank you again and I do hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

I went to this hotel last weekend for a 2 night break but ended up leaving after 1 night. The staff were very unwelcoming and seemed to try to ignore you. The room was very small for 2 people and it was laid out for 1 person even though they knew there were 2 people booked in. There was 1 bath towel, the other 1 was put away in the wardrobe, 1 shower gel, 1 shampoo and 1 packet of biscuits. There was a television but it was very bad reception and did not have Freeview. It seems a bit petty but these things add the finishing touches.
When we went down to breakfast in the morning we had to stand and wait to be seated. There was a member of staff but she seemed to walk out as we went in and went to have a chat with her friend on reception.
As for the breakfast i could only describe it in two words, very poor. I complained to the staff who took away our plates but it seemed a waste of time because all we got was 'I will pass it on to the chef'.
On checking out a day early, i complained to the receptionists but it was pointless.
Just as pointless as writing an e-mail to Stuart, the General Manager. who only seems to answer complaints on Trip Adviser.
I sent him an e-mail a week ago but i have not heard a word from him. I dare say i will get some response from him now.

Room Tip: Another Hotel perhaps?
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Having now received your email, I have taken the opportunity to reply to you directly addressing all of your issues.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

I stayed at the Mercure last weekend with my partner and we have a very enjoyable stay as we always do at the mercure. The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful, particularly the lovely girls on reception who helped us plan our day and suggested some great places for us to visit. We ate in the restaurant both nights and the food was fantastic as well as the service. We were extremely pleased with our weekend away and found the hotel great value for money. We would like to thank all the staff for such a lovely stay and we look forward to returning in september.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your kind review. I am delighted that you and your partner enjoyed your stay with us again. Thank you also for your lovely comments about my team and the food in the restaurant. I am so pleased you have already booked a return visit and we look forward to welcoming you back in September.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Alex M

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Stayed at this hotel three times now and have enjoyed every visit. The first stay was for a New Year Gala and it was one of the best we've ever been to. We liked the hotel so much that we returned twice more for a leisure weekend away.
The hotel is a short drive from Norwich town centre which is a lovely town to visit. It has lots of shops and also a large shopping centre.
The rooms are good although the bathrooms could do with updating a bit but there is now free Wi-Fi available in the rooms. We had a meal in the restaurant and it was superb.
The staff have always been very friendly and accommodating. We've always felt comfortable and relaxed there and it means a lot to me to be made to feel so welcome.
We will return one day.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoy coming to stay with us and keep on returning. Your kind comments about the staff are very much appreciated; we pride ourselves on our customer service and try very hard to make every guest feel special. We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I stayed here with my husband last weekend and it was awful. When we arrived the receptionist greeted us and told us where our room was but when we got in there it was nothing like the photos! It was dated and bits of the ceiling were coming down. The TV was fuzzy and room the room quite small. The bed was narrow and hard and the pillows didn’t stand up to much either – even though we had two each they were so thin it didn’t matter. So during our awful night’s sleep we were then woken up by the delivery lorry at about 7.30am – so no lie in for us. I then went and complained to reception (because we were staying 2 nights) who told us that we were in an un-refurbished room but that she could move us to a refurbished room. The beds were no different and there were dirt marks on some of the pillows. The only good thing I can say is that the shower was hot and powerful but unfortunately there was no extractor fan in the bathroom so the room became very hot – oh and the fruit/lemon biscuits were nice too. We chose to stay in this hotel – and pay more in relation to other hotels available – because it had a pool but you could only have 2 people swimming somewhat comfortably in it so that didn’t deliver either.

I am really disappointed with my stay because it was meant to be a nice long weekend away for both of us but we ended up more tired than we went. I cannot comment on the food because we didn’t eat there.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room if you do stay here!
2  Thank Rachael D
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was very disappointed to read that your experience was not the pleasant one I would had wished for you. Please accept my sincere apologies. As the young lady on reception explained, we are currently undergoing a rolling programme of refurbishment which is due for completion in 2014. Once again please accept my apologies for your lack of sleep during your stay and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future for you to enjoy a relaxing break.