“Thanks especially to Kayleigh for her caring attitude and great service”

Mercure Norwich Hotel
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Perth, Australia
“Thanks especially to Kayleigh for her caring attitude and great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Went the extra mile to make our stay memorable. Hotel was empty over a weekend but the staff made up for it by making us feel special. Would recommend without reservation. Kayleigh was fantastic and really made us feel welcome.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank MikeyEdwards
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review. I am delighted that Kayleigh made your stay memorable. I will pass your lovely comments on to her. I am so pleased that you would choose to return in the future and I hope your next stay is just as memorable!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Polish first
Bristol, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Tried not to think of Alan Partridge when staying here, but it had that kind of feel. Staff were friendly enough and I checked in without fuss. I was allocated a room on the ground floor, which turned out to be a disabled room, which I didn't need. It wasn't just the clinical look of handrails, alarm cords and a sliding door on the bathroom that was off-putting. They had also adapted the wardrobe by putting an extra rail in. This meant that my clothes wouldn't hang properly, without creasing on the lower rail or dragging on the floor. Just not very good. The whole place was dated and not very clean. It was only the fact that I was attending a function at the hotel that stopped me from checking out. Also, I went down for breakfast at 9.10, having been told it was served until 9.30 and was made to fell distinctly rushed. The staff seated 4 separate guests together in one corner of the restaurant, turned off the lights in the other half and cleared most of the food away. Then they stood and stared at us eating! I won't be back. Especially having paid £139 for what is essentially a 1970's out of town motel.

Room Tip: Choose anther hotel.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am sorry that you were disappointed with the hotel and I very much appreciate your feedback. I do hope the function you were attending was a success and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future for a more enjoyable stay.

Travelers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Salisbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel with work. I'm not really fussy about where I stay with work because you're normally only there for one night and one hotel on a motorway side is pretty much the same as another.

However, I had such a dreadful experience at this hotel that I felt I had to write a review. Complaining in the hotel has had no impact and so I hope this will change the way they run this hotel.

When I arrived, i had to wait a while to be served as the two girls were sat behind the counter having a chat about something they had seen on Facebook. When i was served. It transpired that I was not booked onto the system. Now, when you stay in hotels quite a lot, you know this does happen. You arrive and even though you have the booking reference, you're not on the system. So the lady on the desk eventually found my booking, apologised and then went about adding my booking to the system.

While she was doing this, the phone rang and a woman emerged from the office and offered to get it for her. However, she said "I'll get it". So, even though she was serving me and even though there had already been an issue with my booking, she chose to then help someone else on the phone. This is an absolute pet hate of mine. Then to make matters worse, after answering the phone, she then picked up the phone and made another phone call. Very irritating.

My room was fine. Very clean and fresh looking and a nice selection of toiletries in the bathroom. However, the room had clearly just been painted and had a very strong paint smell. The radiator had also been turned off, I assume because it had just been painted. So the room was freezing.

Also, because the door had just been painted, the lock didn't work properly. I didn't worry about it too much and proceeded to get changed as I was meeting a colleague for supper.

When I was in my state of undress, the door opened and in walked a member of the hotel staff with a man, woman and their child. To be fair, she apologised and left the room, but I was absolutely acutely embarrassed.

I assumed I would get a phone call from the manager or something to apologise. But nothing. So I went to the desk to complain and the lady in the desk was entirely aware of the situation and simply apologised saying the member of staff hasn't checked the system properly and that she knew this "wasn't ideal". Nothing more.

So I went to sleep with the chain across the door so that no one else could come in my room. And although the hotel was very quiet, I didn't sleep very well.

Made worse by my television switching itself on at 606 in the morning. And no, I hadn't rolled onto the remote control.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for your review and also thank you for some of the kinder comments you made regarding our hotel. It definitely sounds like our normal levels of customer service were sadly lacking during your stay for which I must personally apologise. I understand that the interviewing process that you facilitated went very well and I know our conference co-ordinator had an opportunity to sit down with you and apologise in person for the mix up during her hotel show round. It is always more disappointing to receive such a review when we have an opportunity to make a full apology in person and that apology has appeared to have been accepted most graciously. However, I am more than prepared to apologise once again, to accept your criticism and to learn from our mistakes.
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

I wouldn't stay in this hotel again. Location is far outside Norwich City. Staff on reception were not helpful at all.
Food was extremely average.
Wifi was only available in the noisy bar.
"suites" are poor and the hotel is noisy.
Price should be a lot less than what they charge.

Room Tip: don't stay here unless the location is convenient.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank cilliant
Thank you for your review. I am sorry but without a room number and a name it is impossible to check whether you were staying in one of our fabulous suites and also what room rate you were staying on. I am most disappointed in your criticism in the staff and food at the hotel because we see more positive comments regarding our levels of customer service and wonderful food that anything else. I apologise that we did not live up to your expectations but I have shared your comments with my departmental heads and I thank you once again for taking the time to post a review.
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

We had a deal from the Metro newspaper, 2 x nights at the Mercure Hotel in Norwich for £119.00. Great price :)

Easy to locate, room was fine, evening meal was LOVELY, breakfast was very good. Spa was poor, pool was TINY WEENY, spa bath not working :( all weekend. Housekeping was poor, no top ups of towels or shower gels, dirty napking left behind... Room service was swift and food was good. Bar Service was poor......
A good price and the servcie reflecetd it, the evening meal was really good, best steak I have had in YEARS! Nice Wetherspoons close by foer the secon night dinner.

Room Tip: Make sure spa is operating if this is reason to choose this hotel, as it was for us and it did impa...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SailingJonesy
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It appears we got 50% of things right with your stay. I am glad you found your room, evening meal and breakfast good. I am however saddened that you were disappointed with other aspects of break. Please accept my sincere apologies in our shortcomings and rest assured that this is not normal practice. I do hope you will give us another opportunity to 'shine' in the future.
Bodham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We spent Christmas at the Mercure, and it was a wonderful experience. A 5 day festive treat.
From our arrival on the 23rd December ,with the welcome party , upto our departure on the 27th everything possible was done to make our stay perfect.
We took the Christmas package, which included a trip to the Pantomime in Norwich on Boxing Day.
The staff are friendly, from the housekeeping through to the management . And nothing was too much trouble., always on hand to assist .
And a huge thanks to the Chef and his team, the food was out of this world, and a lot of it .The Christmas day evening buffet is an experience in itself .
Breakfast ;- there was something for everyone , a buffet style meal.
All meals where served hot and the waiting staff always on hand to assist.
The entertainment was suitable for everyone, many thanks to Mark Buller for making , in my opinion, everyone feel special and
making sure the entertainment was second to none.
The package catered for all ages, and each age group mixed very well .
All aspects of this Christmas Holiday could not have been any better.
For anyone just coming to the hotel for a short stay , the restaurant serves a huge variety of meals and at very reasonable prices.
A huge thank you . And we look forward to returning next Christmas.

Room Tip: Every room is furnished to a very high standard . And the houskeeping staff are attentive in their w...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jill H
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Happy New Year to you! Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed our Christmas package. The feedback this year has been exceptional and all my team worked very hard to ensure everyone had a great time. Thank you again and we do hope you will return for the festive season this year.