“WOW”

Mercure Norwich Hotel
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We spent Christmas at the Mercure, and it was a wonderful experience. A 5 day festive treat.
From our arrival on the 23rd December ,with the welcome party , upto our departure on the 27th everything possible was done to make our stay perfect.
We took the Christmas package, which included a trip to the Pantomime in Norwich on Boxing Day.
The staff are friendly, from the housekeeping through to the management . And nothing was too much trouble., always on hand to assist .
And a huge thanks to the Chef and his team, the food was out of this world, and a lot of it .The Christmas day evening buffet is an experience in itself .
Breakfast ;- there was something for everyone , a buffet style meal.
All meals where served hot and the waiting staff always on hand to assist.
The entertainment was suitable for everyone, many thanks to Mark Buller for making , in my opinion, everyone feel special and
making sure the entertainment was second to none.
The package catered for all ages, and each age group mixed very well .
All aspects of this Christmas Holiday could not have been any better.
For anyone just coming to the hotel for a short stay , the restaurant serves a huge variety of meals and at very reasonable prices.
A huge thank you . And we look forward to returning next Christmas.

Room Tip: Every room is furnished to a very high standard . And the houskeeping staff are attentive in their w...
1  Thank Jill H
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Happy New Year to you! Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed our Christmas package. The feedback this year has been exceptional and all my team worked very hard to ensure everyone had a great time. Thank you again and we do hope you will return for the festive season this year.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Booked two rooms over "Twixmas", two nights, dinner on first night, breakfast on both £129.00 per room. The Hotel appeared to be very quiet,upgrades were charged at £20.00 per room per night. Dinner was acceptable. Breakfast is buffet style, order anything like Eggs Benedict, & you might be served Muffins( cold, not toasted) Poached Eggs,(very runny) topped with Hollandaise Sauce,(Cold, just out of the refrigerator) served on a cold plate. Chefs signature dish, appears to be Dried Mushrooms. You get up early, put sliced mushrooms under a hot lamp say about 3 hours, don't touch them until very dry, then serve. Easy!! All in all, there are a lot better 4star hotels, no,3 star that are better than this, and this is the only any star hotel that we have stayed in that does not have free daily papers.

2  Thank Antondec

Thank you for your review, Happy New Year! It would appear that we got most things right during your stay other than breakfast, which I am most disappointed about because we probably receive more positive comments about our breakfast than anything else, it sounds like we really got breakfast service wrong. Please accept my personal apologies and I will investigate who was cooking during your stay. Kindly also please note that there are free daily newspapers delivered to the hotel for use by our guests, although sometimes they do disappear quite swiftly. Thank you once again for your feedback both complimentary and otherwise.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

We had two nights inbetween Christmas & New Year at this hotel & spa. At around £140 for BOTH of us for two nights B & B it was excellent value and well worth every penny. The room was tasteful, modern and clean with good quality fittings and toiletries. Breakfast was a self-serve buffet although additional choices available on request (like smoked haddock & poached egg - lovely) All of the staff encountered were pleasant, and the room on return had been tidied and drinks tray + bickies replenished. We used the spa on the last evening, and enjoyed a swim in the pool, which whilst small did have a childrens area and a jacuzzi, as well as sauna and steam room.
Overall a smashing hotel about 3 miles from the city centre so convenient and we would definately return. My only negative comment is (and it isn't just this hotel!) when we checked out we weren't asked whether everything was ok - just a small courtesy that I think is well worth doing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the road - bit tricky as road on two sides!
1  Thank Rolfies

Happy New Year to you! Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your break here with us in between Christmas and New Year. Thank you also for your great comments with regards to the hotel itself, our staff, food and leisure club. I am so pleased that you would return and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Booked Christmas lunch here at £45 a head. Wish I had booked somewhere else! The starters, one leek and potato soup with no sign of the advertised basil oil although it was nice and one Prawn and Crayfish cocktail that tasted like defrosted prawns with bottled Marie rose sauce. One roast beef with no sign of the advertised creamed horseradish, very dark brown roast potatoes and soggy overlooked vegetables and one Roast Turkey that was also served with overlooked vegetables and rubbery stuffing balls. Both portions were ridiculously large, bit pointless to have a 4 course menu if you fill everyone up with the main course. Desserts excellent, had a cheesecake and an amazing French apple flan with caramel sauce. Too full up for the cheese course, half the tables also left at this point. The coffee was not served at the table but in the bar as they assumed everyone wanted to watch the queen. We grabbed a cup but it was weak and there was no sugar offered. All in all not a great experience. £45 a head in a 4 star restaurant should have been really nice. Also no atmosphere, nobody seemed particularly happy. The service was ok tho, staff did their best.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank kath11bedford

Happy New Year and thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was most saddened to read that your Christmas Day lunch was not a success. We fed just over 200 people for lunch that day and have received almost exclusively very positive feedback, so I am bitterly disappointed that this is not the case with yourself. As ever we have taken your criticism on board particularly with regard to not providing a choice of taking coffee at the table. Please accept my sincere apologies and be assured that we will be aiming for 100 % guest satisfaction on Christmas Day 2013.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

Pleasant hotel - room size good - restaurant food was very nice . We loved the pool and the health club facilities & found the staff in all areas ie reception/restaurant/bar/health club/housekeeping exceptionally friendly and willing to help. Would definitely recommend this hotel based on our recent stay - very good value for money & only a 10 minute taxi ride into the city centre :o).

My only criticism of Mercure is their central reservations team who initially could not locate my reservation and subsequently on a later phone call didn't even know they had a property in Norwich....terrible PR...sort it out at head office, please!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed our hotel and its facilities. Thank you also for your wonderful comments about my team. I am delighted that you would recommend us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Norwich again in the future.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

My fourth hotel stay in ten days. Perhaps I am getting a touch jaded of being in the road. However I must be fair to this hotel, it cannot help what it is.

The Mercure Norwich was born in the 1970’s and is a typical babe of that era. It cannot disguise that fact, and most of the venue is quite acceptable, albeit dated. I think the room I find most disagreeable and downright ugly is the breakfast room. I would dearly love to see how Alex Polizzi and her team would remodel this challenge.

The Mercure Norwich is quite roomy, has decent quality carpets, and benefits from free car parking. And now I am getting stuck of positive things to say.

I stayed here because I was attending an onsite client event. The client had negotiated a favourable rate and I rang reservations to book a room. No they hadn’t got the client name nor the event on file, I would therefore need to pay just shy of £100 for the privilege of staying there. “I think not, please recheck your records”. A long conversation ensued. Finally at my request I am transferred to the local reservations team. "Yes, we understand, yes we know this event is happening tonight, yes we can book you in, yes you get the agreed rate." Hurrah!

I arrive at the hotel, park up and walk to the City Suite to gain access to the hotel. The red carpet was out, rope and post was in place, the outer doors were wide open, the lights were on, and the inner doors were locked. A large group of us (including external entertainers) could not access the hotel via this route. We ring the advertised number to ask for someone to open the door. "Someone will open this shortly". They didn't.

I finally gain access via a different route and check in at Reception. My credit card wasn’t swiped; instead they deducted the final sum straight away. (I guess I won’t be charging anything to my room this evening). My credit card receipt is handed to me and I wait for a receipt. It isn’t forthcoming. “Please can I have a VAT receipt.” “Our system doesn’t allow us to give you a VAT receipt, you can have this is in the morning.” Yup, I too have never heard that response before.

I walk into my room. BRRR. It is cold and there is no way to adjust the heat setting. After a quick check of the wardrobe for a blanket I ring Reception. ‘No we can’t give you a blanket. Will another duvet be ok’? Yes, this is a perfect solution and it arrived after a 20 minute wait.

A chair in the room is damaged – to wit the seat cushion was torn. Not just a small nick in the fabric, but a great big tear. My heart sank. This is a biggie. When Housekeeping can overlook something as bad as this what else is not being done as a matter of course?

I check out the bathroom and note there are no sanitary bags. Towels have been rationed. Two small hand towels and one large towel. I like having two big towels – one for my hair and one for me. Hand towels are rarely big enough to make a secure head turban to dry hair. I run the hot tap for water. It’s not forthcoming, and I end up running the hot tap for awhile before it is a sensible temperature.

I have some time before dinner to work and open my laptop to work to find no free WiFi. *Sigh* When are hotels going to realise that business travellers need free WiFi access as standard in their rooms. We don’t have the luxury of only working 9 – 5, 35 hours per week. We have to work outside these hours, so at least help us by providing the comms tool we need – free WiFi. This is not an indulgence, it is now an essential, and in fact it’s now so important that it is one of my key deciders when booking a hotel.

So far this has not been the experience I was seeking. I turn on the television to find that the TV Channels do not correspond with what is indicated on the screen.

Am I nit picking? Yes and no. I can overlook a missed towel or a mistuned TV set, or a cold room if everything else is ok. We are human, things happen. But when there is a laundry list of issues, it is shear sloppy management and this is unacceptable. It does not matter how many stars your hotel has, basic good management should be adhered to. On the plus side, the room and hotel seemed to be clean and tidy, but the lack of attention to detail in this place is massive. This hotel needs to appoint a senior Housekeeper with clout, an eye for detail, who is preferably OCD, to get on top of things. I think if they did this, the venue would radically improve. It will never be a boutique hotel, but this place could be so much more.

Finally the breakfast. I arrive with 30 minutes to spare to discover the locusts had dined well. There was some rather shabby looking melon, a few random pieces of pineapple and there was not much hot choice from the buffet. Pretty sparse fare and it didn’t measure up to my toast and mushroom test.

I’ve found that if a venue gets the mushrooms and toast right, then you can pretty much guarantee a decent breakfast. If however they are awful, likewise the rest of breakfast will be likewise. The toast was cold and soggy and mushrooms vile. I left underwhelmed.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Le_Scribe
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Bonjour Le Scribe! Thank you for your amazingly thorough review. You will remember that we did meet on the evening of your event and I am already aware of several of your comments. I apologise that central reservations made your booking process more painful than necessary but I am pleased that your booking experience at the hotel was so different.

I am sorry that you tried to gain access to the hotel through our main event room, but I did explain that for some reason in 1973 our hotel was built with the main reception at the side. It doesn't seem to matter how many 'directions to reception' signs we install, some guests always manage to miss them.

I have taken note of all your other comments and thank you once again for definitely the most detailed review ever!

Happy Christmas from myself and all the team at Mercure Norwich.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

We held our wedding at the mercure in sept. Well where do i start with the positives i guess not that there are many... The ceremony room was beautiful could not fault it. We then went for photos in the gardens which again were beautiful. But that is all i can say as the day went on things got worse. We sat down for a 3 course meal which wad ok nothing like we had in out taster evening tho. By the time people across the room got their food it was cold! I then had a waiter come over to me on several occasions saying people are not happy. I said well can u sort it please and got a very blank look. We moved onto the evening rec which the room looked ok for lights etc... All very basic but looked ok the only problem the dj!!! Well he was shocking i was advised by the hotel they have a local dj and can book through them. I though to save time i would listen to them as they know what they are talking about wedding wedding planners. He was crap sorry but as a young couple we are in our 20s we did not expect 60s 70s cheesy music ALL night we asked for a different type of music to be played to be told ive got loads of requests to be played hello nobody asked for the music he was making it up as he went along. Then to top it off the bar staff were very inexperienced not a clue what they were doing. The coke was flat the beer was flat not to mention 40p cheaper upstairs why was this? Never got an answer. Then at the end ofbthe night we went back to our room i changed out of my wedding dress and went down tobthe 24 hr bar for a night cap to over hearba member of staff saying oh we have run out of this and that due tonthe wedding function we have had today. So i questioned the bar staff as to what they ran out of i was told red bull mmmmm funny as none of the people at the reception drank red bull and thats a fact!! I made this quite clear and advised i was the bride. The red faced bar member looked at myself and the other people in the bar i then said more like bad stock take or run out in general. I was then offered a complemenrty drink which i did except only a j2o as was off to bed. The next day once we left the hotel it was brought to my attention several people had creepy crawleys in their bathrooms. 1 couple got a refund after taking pics as evidence. All i can say for anyone who wants a wedding at the mercure norwich GOOD LUCK!

• Stayed: September 2012

Thank you for posting a review regarding your wedding. Thank you also for some of the positive comments that you made. I am deeply sorry that your wedding day was not absolutely perfect, which is always our aim and I am personally investigating your comments with regards to our bar staff and the DJ. Thank you once again for the positive comments and I hope you are enjoying married life.