“Overall good”

Mercure Norwich Hotel
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for one night whilst visiting friends in Norwich, although far from a beautiful location it was clean and comfortable and easy to get into the city centre.
Breakfast was nice, varied and filling. We got a bargain through actually using the hotel website rather than a booking agent site, which was a nice surprise. However it did stipulate we would get pimms on arrival. This did not happen, no mention of it at all by reception staff. As we were going out that evening for drinks anyway we weren't really bothered by this, but if it says that's included then the staff should know to offer.
The room was clean and tidy, enough facilities but not a huge difference between Mercure and Travelodge.
My only real criticisms would be; air conditioner in the room is set to one temperature which I'm sure in summer is nice but September? too cold, it would have been nice to have been able to adjust it rather than keep turning it on and off.
The other point would be the pool, although on the small side it seemed very nice, but it was so heavily chlorinated my eyes started burning very quickly making it quite unpleasant, and the Jacuzzi was so bad we had to turn it off and sit without it bubbling as the steam was stinging my face. Also when i got out and showered I noticed my bikini had been bleached by the chemicals in the water. This is a swimsuit I have had for a while and used at many locations including another Mercure hotel and it has always remained the right colour.
We had a nice weekend on the whole we found it to be a very easy location to get to in and out of Norwich, but I wouldn't rush to stay there again.

Room Tip: we were on ground level, higher would probably give a much nicer view than the car park!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Thank you so much for your review. I am glad you found our hotel clean and comfortable and our breakfast good and I am sorry that you did not receive your glass of Pimms on arrival. I appreciate your feedback about the temperature of our air conditioning units. We will of course look in to this.
With regards to the chlorine levels in our leisure club I can confirm that the water is tested regularly in both the pool and jacuzzi to ensure that they are at a safe level, I have checked the records and there were no anomalies. I will however re address the procedures following your comments. Thank you again for your feedback

Reviewed October 11, 2012

I have stayed here on several occasions and I have to say, whilst some of the room decor is a little dated, the overall package is an absolute bargain. Staff are very polite and accomodating and the ladies on morning duty in the restaurant are lovely. The gym is more than adequate for most people's needs and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending the hotel to others

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your kind review, it is always nice when a guest keeps returning to our hotel and I am delighted that you would recommend us to others. Thank you for your lovely comments about my staff. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Just spent 4 nights at this hotel and have only good things to report. The room was very clean and contained 2 comfortable double beds, 2 easy chairs, plenty of drawer and hanging space, more than enough towels and a array of toiletries. Both breakfasts and evening meals were excellent.
The staff were very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind review. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from one of our guests, I do hope we will get the chance to welcome you back to our hotel again in the future.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Absolute bargain- under £52 B&B for 2 for 2 nights. Nice spacious room, good breakfast, cheap eating places very close. Pool was good but small. Only slight down was the disco downstairs till midnight, but we've heard much worse. Would go back again

1  Thank mjandjim

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I am glad that you enjoyed your bedroom, breakfast and our leisure club. I am disappointed that you were disturbed by the disco in our event room, please accept my sincere apologies. I am delighted that you would choose to stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Stayed on a Saturday night with my partner for a weekend in Norwich. Found the hotel easy to locate, the staff were great, clean well equipped rooms and no noise.
Isn't in the city centre but taxis are very cheap in Norwich.
Really enjoyed our stay and would recommend to anyone, do not believe all the bad reviews on here!

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Ibiza_girl_85
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you very much for your kind comments and I am delighted that you would recommend us. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

we have just spent a night at the Mercure in Norwich and what an enjoyable night we had , our room was very clean and well decorated , the bed was big and very comfortable and big fluffy pillows , we also had an evening meal in the hotel which was £22 per person for 3 courses, the food was lovely and great value for money the staff in the hotel were very nice and could not be more helpful , we also had uses of the hotels swimming pool which was very clean and warm ,and the breakfast was outstanding , such a selection of food to have , all in all a very enjoyable stay and we will be coming back again next time we are in Norwich , thank you to all the staff at the Mercure

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your kind review. We strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and I am delighted that we are getting it right. I will pass your comments on to my team. Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Norwich.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Very much like a contractors hotel!

Dirty shower. Prison like atmosphere to the corridors.

Bar meal awful but breakfast almost good - excellent sausages.

Disinterested staff.

View of a dilapidated carpark: yes, it is in the middle of an industrial estate.

Stayed on 13 September - the first of many visits to Norwich - but very much the last to this hotel!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Fortunately fatboybald you are in the minority, but I am always extremely disappointed to receive poor reviews such as yours. It is true that we are a 1970's built hotel on the edge of the beautiful city of Norwich but most of our customers recognise us as a modern, scrupulously clean, friendly hotel with great food and service driven staff. We obviously failed you during your stay for which I apologise.