“Caribbean comes to Norwich”
Review of Chez Denis

Chez Denis
Ranked #26 of 833 Restaurants in Norwich
Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Grade 2 listed building, in the centre of Norwich City Centre. Nestled in Orford Yard Red Lion Street near Loose;s kitchen shop.opposite Deberhams Store.
Norfolk
“Caribbean comes to Norwich”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Very enjoyable evening on 1st December at Chez Denis with my husband and two friends. We spent some time looking at the menu trying to decide what to eat from the fabulous range of dishes. I started with the scallops which were perfectly cooked, plump and tender, followed by duck breast which was also perfect accompanied by a superb sauce and pineapple fritters with coconut ice cream to finish.Mmmmmm!!!

The owner is a superb host and very hands on, chatting to diners and making sure everyone enjoyed themselves and their food.

A really great evening.

• Visited December 2012

Canvey Island
“Caribbean Food to Tickle Your Taste Buds”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

If you have a special diet then this is the place to go because believe me if you tell Denis before you go he will make sure you can eat. We were a party of 6 with 2 Vegetarians (1 doesn't eat mushrooms) 1 Diabetic, 2 normal people and me who can't have dairy, wheat or soya but Denis sat down with me, went through the menu told me what I could have or what he could do i.e use oil instead of butter, he bought me rice cakes when the others all had bread rolls and gave me plum sauce with my pudding instead of ice cream. We will definately be going back, even my husband who is a plain eater enjoyed the food. You will need to book.

• Visited August 2012
Norwich
“a good dinner, could be better”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We enjoyed our dinner, but felt that it wasn't as special as we had hoped that it would be.... a Nice Rum Punch to start, friendly owner/manager & staff, good menu and choices, but we thought that the preparation was not as good as could be. Not certain if they were trying for the "simple elegant preparation of good ingredients" approach, or the "interesting construction of culturally distinctive complex dishes", and as a result, the tastes were a bit uninspired - muddled. Too middle of the road. I won't say bland, but didn't knock the socks off. I have rated the food "average" but only because while it is good,it isn't the very good that I had hoped for, and so it may be a bit harsh. That said, it was a generally good dinner. Not very expensive, but as a result, did seem a bit pricey. I will go back, and will try more hoping for more inspiring .

Norwich, United Kingdom
“Excellent Food - 10/10”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

The food here is superb. If you like french-creole cajun style cuisine then you are in for a treat. The duck, chicken and steaks were cooked to perfection, the suaces were divine and the desserts delicious. Denis has a very relaxed style and chats to the customers, the decor may be a little dated but the restaurant is clean and Denis is concerned that all his customers enjoy his food, You are a paying guest rather than a customer. We will definitely go back and will also try his city centre restaurant when he moves.

London, United Kingdom
“Great place”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Went midweek for dinner. Just confirming previous positive reviews really. Service unbeatable from Denis himself and food very good - lots of intense Caribbean flavours, as you'd expect. View into the kitchen from some of the restaurant seats is a nice touch. Not cheap but not expensive either, and the drinks are quite reasonable which can be quite important.

Decor is a bit tatty but who cares (certainly isn't dirty or in any way unpleasant, just there are posher places around).

Overall very good!