“A comfortable city centre hotel with a fine restaurant”

BEST WESTERN Annesley House Hotel
Ranked #8 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A comfortable city centre hotel with a fine restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2009

Our room had originally been large but partly reclaimed to provide an en suite bathroom, however good use has been made of the remaining space and nothing is cramped. It was perfectly adequate for our stay, provided everything that we needed, had very comfortable beds and pillows and was nicely decorated. Traffic noise in the morning was, however, a bit of a problem when the window was open.

We found the restaurant to be particularly good and the a la carte dinner menu offered a fairly extensive choice of dishes. Cooking and presentation were of a high standard. The wine list also offered a fair choice at sensible prices. Breakfast was excellent with a good selection both on the starters buffet and on the cooked-to-order menu. Service was efficient and pleasant.

As someone who spends a lot of nights in hotels in the course of a year, I feel that the rates charged by this hotel represent very fair value for money - "LecoBirmingham" and "BaconLondon" please note!! And please also note that I do not have an expense account - I settle my own bills.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Birmingham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2009

Booked a three night stay at this hotel in error, tried to cancel but I was informed I had booked an advanced saver rate and the £320 cost had already been deducted. My wife and I decided to accept our booking and from the moment we entered this hotel we did not feel comfortable, we felt even more uncomfortable when we entered our rooms. They were small, dark and outdated. I don't want to say any more, other than after the first night we departed and moved on to a splendid hotel in Sheringham. I would rate this hotel 3 out of ten for everything. It may suit those that are used to this standard of accomodation, but I would most certainly not recommend it.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights to explore Norfolk, the staff are very nice and helpful and the hotel is ok but is like something out of the early 80s. Location is good a ten minute walk takes you into the centre of town but the hotel is very over priced. We payed £75 a night for a shoebox size room that was boiling hot. You can't sleep with the window open as it is on a main road. The bed was also fit for the skip as was the shower. TV was on the floor so could not watch it from bed. If this hotel was priced at £35- £55 a night it would be ok but for £75 you would expect better. Breakfast was not included and was £10 each it was very nice but again should have been included.

Colchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2009

This hotel is ideally situated to explore Norwich. Previous reviewers have commented on the high standard of food at this hotel and I would agree. It is however noisy in the morning from about 6 AM onwards, it being situated at the junction of two major routes into the city centre.

Norwich is an interesting destination , a medieval city with friendly citizens and plenty to see and do. Make sure you pick up one of the free maps available almost everywhere because the city is a bit of a labyrinth.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bill M
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2009

I stayed here with my elderly mother last week and found the staff very professional and friendly. The woman on reception happily changed our rooms for ground floor rooms as my mother couldn't manage the stairs that well, The rooms were spotless but the decor could really do with updating, it was old fashioned,, but not in a good, antique -ike way. The food was excellent and the staff dealt with all my mother's 7 very elderlyy friends, that she had invited for lunch , fantastically well. Very good value as it is an excellent location fot the centre of Norwich.

• Stayed May 2009
1 Thank winelover61
Rye, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2009

I've stayed at Annesley House on several occasions on business trips to Norwich. In this regard the hotel is ideal being easily accessible to the City centre yet retaining some character. I'd recommend it to anyone on this basis. There is a very good breakfast.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank AttackoftheTAs
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2009

Stayed for two nights on business. The things I liked were:
1) The food is EXCELLENT, totally unexpected but 1st class.
2) Free WiFi, almost no other hotels I've been in have this.
3) Friendly, professional staff.
4) Bed was very comfortable.

Things I didn't like:
1) Room decor was a bit dated and didnt have very good in room TV.
2) Shower was not a power shower, was like being dribbled on.

Overall will be staying here again as I usually stay at Park Farm and although they have a gym, I dont get mobile phone reception and the food is nowhere near as nice.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business