“Not the best”

Best Western George Hotel
Ranked #30 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for a wedding and although our room was clean and large it was the noisiest hotel we have ever stayed in. The view was over the roof of the back of the hotel all night you could here floor boards cracking doors slamming and fans running. The toilet sounded as if it was going to explode very time it flushed. This was a shame and spoilt our stay at this hotel.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jackobecks
ArlingtonNorwich, Manager at Best Western George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Thank you for your review. We do understand your concerns regarding the noisy floorboards we have in some areas of the hotel. This is due to the building being Victorian and restrictions on what we can and cant do to the property, but please be assured we are seeking further advise on how further improvements can be made.

There are newer reviews for Best Western George Hotel

Reviewed September 22, 2013

I booked the hotel due to the location and the rooms looked of a high standard. For the price we paid I was not impressed with the quality of the overall experience. We were put in on the of rooms in a separate box in the car park to the hotel.

The bathroom was outdated and in need of repair and a good clean to get rid of mould.. In the morning we had no hot water for a shower.

In terms of the bedroom, having seen the photos of the rooms I was disappointed. It seems that we had been put in a part of the hotel which had not been refurbished and to the standard of the pictures.

In the morning I didn't bother to complain as there was another couple complaining and not really getting anywhere with an answer.

On the plus side it was a 10 minute walk from the city and for the time of year that was ok.

Room Tip: Ask to be in the hotel not the outer block
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SJM1988

Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear you had a disappointing stay and will take note of the comments you have made regarding our cottage room. We are in the middle of a refurbishment program and we hope to have this room completed as soon as possible.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

I booked a single room for one night. The hotel is in a lovely building, in a great location, with ample, free parking. The room was clean and the bed was fairly comfortable. The room was quite quiet once everyone was in bed but inevitably in a building of that age there are a lot of squeaky floorboards and there didn't seem to be much soundproofing between the rooms. The fan in the bathroom next to me sounded quite loud and I was lucky that my neighbours didn't turn on the bathroom light during the night.

My main complaint was with the bathroom. The water pressure in the shower was non existent and the floor covering had a lot of ingrained stains, which just looked decidedly grubby.

The receptionist and the bar staff were very friendly and helpful. The bar food was good and reasonably priced and you can get room service snacks when the bar is closed until quite late at night. The breakfast was included with my room and there was a reasonable selection at the buffet with a decent full English on offer. I also waited quite a while to be served when the breakfast room wasn't busy and although the staff were polite and friendly they weren't particularly attentive so the tables weren't cleared very quickly.

Overall I had a pleasant enough stay and the negatives just outweighed the positives because of the shabby bathroom.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to write your review
Your custom is very important to us and we will definitely use your feedback to make improvements to the bathroom and shower pressure.
We do hope we can welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Hotel was good a 5 minute walk into centre of town. Booked short notice via Late Rooms. Rather annoyed on arrival hotel had already taken funds form my card when I had a Best Western Voucher to use which I subsequently found out I could only use via the normal Best Western website which of course the room would have been £20 more a night. Not impressed with best western points and will review in future staying with them.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ydeoc

Thank you for your review. I am pleased the Hotel was to your satisfaction and sorry that you had issues by booking with laterooms. It is always best to book direct with us or through Best Western to ensure vouchers and points can be honoured.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Stayed at the George 30th/31st of August, the room was very nice clean and made up perfectly by the maid. The breakfast was plentiful and staff very helpful, I would recommend this hotel. The on site parking is a bonus and the city centre is a short taxi ride for evenings out, remember to take an "after hours" key with you... Another hotel didn't do so and returned a 3:00am and spent an hour trying to force open the door before someone finally let him in, so my only comment would be perhaps to notify each hotel guest of this verbally. There is a sign on the reception desk but clearly this chap didn't notice. Overall great experience

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Jayney1979
ArlingtonNorwich, Manager at Best Western George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Thank you very much for you great review.
We are really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your helpful advice regarding the 'after hours keys info', we will ensure this is adhered to.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

This was a long way from the best hotel carrying this branding. the hotel itself is starting to lok in need of refurbishment. Stair carpets getting threadbare etc. I was not advised on arrival about where the restaurant was or meal times, but was not concerned as I expected to find info pack in the room. But there was not one there. In the morning reception said that there should have been and it would get replaced. There were also some black marks appearing in the bath shower sealant, and as a Platinum card hodler this was an upgraded room I was given. I also had to report that despite staying in dozens of hotels a year I could not get a good flow of hot water from the shower -possibly a fault, but neither control on the shower had any markings on for temperature. I also mentioned this to staff at reception in the morning( was only there 1 night. On the positive side the food was very good although the evening meal menu choice was not large.

Room Tip: Rooms do not have air con so in hot weater request a shaded room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review. Your custom is important to us and we will certainly look at making improvements to both the shower and stair carpets as soon as we can.
We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the food and will look at extending the menu for this coming winter.

Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic hotel, where service is normally second to none however, this morning was different the staff were in plentiful supply which is great and refreshing to see and with 5 tables including ours it still took over 10 minutes to gain the attention of the staff to order a hot drink and a cooked breakfast, I just wonder how long we could have been sat there had we not asked if we could order?

The staff appeared to spend more time in the kitchen than being at their station, in the restaurant ... it was hardly busy!

Less time in the kitchen please or discussing last night with colleagues at the bar please and a bit more Attentiveness to hotel guests sitting at tables trying to order a hot drink and breakfast!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Essex_Man_About_Town
ArlingtonNorwich, General Manager at Best Western George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Thank you very much for your review. My sincere apologies you felt the staff let you down on this occasion by not being as attentive as they usually are. I will certainly make them aware of this so it doesn't happen again. I hope we can welcome you back again soon, you will be sure to have our full attention.