“A very pleasant hotel”

Best Western George Hotel
Ranked #25 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Set in the leafy outskirts of Norwich the George Hotel is within easy walking distance to the City Centre. We arrived early but the friendly receptionist had no problems checking us in.
First impressions of our room were disappointing, it was quite small and although spotlessly clean, the bare cream walls and plain white bed linen gave the appearance more of a hospital than hotel room (a colourful throw on the bed and a couple of pictures on the wall would have made quite a difference) . The only chair in the room was stained as was the dressing table stool.
However the room had a good sized en-suite bathroom with the added bonus of a full size bath with overhead shower. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room wonderfully quiet so we had two very good nights’ sleep.
There was a very good breakfast menu and our choices were delicious.
The staff at the George were extremely friendly and helpful.
Despite my criticism of the décor of the room, the George is definitely a hotel we would stay at again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 2, 2012

We rarely eat in hotels but after a late arrival it was convenient to so do on the first night. The food was impressive and as the George is so close to town we walked back for our dinner on the second night, again a great meal. Breakfast is not to be missed, very nice buffet but also as full a cooked breakfast as you could wish, all within the very reasonable B and B price.
I particularly enjoyed, butter in a dish, sugar in a bowl and milk in a jug, hard to find these days of paper tubes and plastic containers.
Friendly competent staff, clean rooms and an atmosphere of caring for for the customer makes this a great choice for staying in Norwich.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2012

We stayed for one night on our way to visit family. Good location - we took a taxi in to Norwich, do visit the cathedral. The hotel was comfortable and the staff friendly. So often hotels miss a trick with getting residents to eat "in house" but we had a really nice meal, better than lots of other 3* hotels we have stayed in. Other residents were mostly mature couples or business people and this hotel is ideal for them. I understand there are five hotels in this privately owned group. We would definitely stay here again, and would try one of the other hotels if they were conveniently located

Room Tip: If you go to bed early/are a light sleeper, check there is not a function on. We could hear the func...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
ArlingtonNorwich, Director of Operations at Best Western George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2012

Thank you for your great review. Please do not hesitate to contact me on 01603 617841 if you wish to return to the George or one of our other hotels. I'll be happy to help.

Reviewed April 11, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two nights. I had a single room which was pleasantly roomy with an equally roomy en-suite. The bed was very comfortable, the room clean, TV, toiletries, tea, coffee etc. The breakfast was freshly cooked with a reasonable choice. Staff were friendly and efficient. I thought it was very good value, especially as it was only a 10 minute walk into town (and there seem to plenty of bus stops en route) so I could leave my car at the hotel and avoid parking hassles in the city. It was also very quiet, being just off the main road, and in a nice part of town.

Room Tip: I did ask for a room upstairs and it was the opposite side of the building from the bar, kitchen and...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your positive and informative review, It is much appreciated.

Reviewed April 4, 2012

I revently stayed in this Best Western for business. It was my first stay in a Best Western and I have to say I was very impressed. I stayed in a single room, good value for money, toiletries, biscuits, tea and coffee. The bed was comfortable, the room just the right temperature, and most of all everything was clean.

The staff could not have been more welcoming. I have booked in both of my staff to stay in the other Best Western in Norwich, but only because the George was fully booked!! Thank you, I will be staying again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
ArlingtonNorwich, Director of Operations at Best Western George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2012

Thank you very much for you great review, we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed April 2, 2012

I stayed for just one night while visiting my son in Norwich. This is a great hotel, not luxurious, but very comfortable. Friendly receptionist and breakfast staff. I had a single room with a single bed, but there was plenty of room each side of it, and good bedside lighting. It was very clean with a cosy duvet, perfectly fine little shower room and very quiet, even though the room looked onto the carpark. Breakfast was lovely, and Norwich is a wonderful city and we have lived in Norfolk for 25 years but moved to the south 5 years ago. It has everything, excellent shopping, bars, clubs, theatre and history. The George hotel is perfectly placed and I will certainly use it again when I come back to see our son. Thank you

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo

We are really pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the near furture.

Reviewed March 22, 2012

Basic hotel, good value for money. I was lucky and stayed in one of the "cottage rooms" , nice, flat tv, quiet, clean, bath tube, tea, coffee, cookies. NO WIFI SIGNAL in these rooms though. But I had the opportunity to see other rooms and were not that nice.
Breakfast ok, nothing special. Good restaurant, and nice bar. 15-20 minutes walk to city centre, so probably not the best location for exploring the city.
Really nice and helpful staff.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business