“Praise for the restaurant”
Review of Maids Head Hotel

Maids Head Hotel
Ranked #2 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed May 22, 2014

Do eat at this restaurant, which I think it has a new chef. The dishes were superbly cooked, the service was excellent and the ambience quiet and pleasant. The prices were very reasonable for this quality. The reception staff were welcoming and helpful.

The hotel is right in the centre and quiet. It has a lovely old façade but inside many of the bedroom areas are modern and ordinary.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Christine M, General Manager at Maids Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2014

Dear Maurice P,
I am glad that you enjoyed your meal in our restaurant and I will pass on your kind words to the team. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
pp Christine M

Write a ReviewReviews (1,239)

Reviewed May 20, 2014

Took my daughter and grandson to afternoon tea. Crisp white linen and lovely cake stands made this a superb afternoon tea with great sandwiches, savouries and sweets including a small Eton Mess. Excellent value for money and the staff were so kind and helpful.
Enjoyed it so much I am taking my mother-in-law there for afternoon tea next weekend.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Dear HGeorge2507,

Thank you for taking the time to review your afternoon tea. I hope that you find your next visit equally as good.

Reviewed May 17, 2014

This old hotel just off the city centre was chosen for the Plant Heritage (PH) national AGM & weekend when 125 plantaholics arrived for the convention. The car park was small, but the PH marshalls did a sterling job and squeezed everyone in, even into places that did not exist.
There is one lift in the hotel, but even using that there were so many short staircases to be negotiated that a few of our number had to start their journey quite a bit earlier than the rest to be sure of being in the right room, or at the front door at the right time.
The room we had was good, with plenty of space and in the bathroom too. We ate in for both evenings and with pre-ordered menus we knew what we were getting. The surprise was that with 125 moutrhs to feed the whole thing was managed effortlessly, although the length of time between each course was a bit longer than we would have liked.
Breakfasts were the usual, but good, international affair, with the addition of porage, kippers eggs benedict and a few other options as well. I asked for kippers one morning and was offered poached eggs as an accompaniment, which I accepted. Few places offer kippers as standards and these were excellent.
The one down side was that we wanted to stay on for a couple of days extra, but when I had enquired as to availability (plenty) and asked the price, I was told a ridiculous amount as "we are starting the high season sir." As it turned out, the Norfolk PH had made arrangements for members to stay on at the same rate, but the news had not reached the (male) receptionist who answered the phone to my enquiry. A pity, as the hotel we went to was a shambles.

Room Tip: The hotel is on two side of a triangle, with one side being a main road, so the higher up you are, t...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Christine M, General Manager at Maids Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Dear Clive R,

We are glad that you enjoyed your AGM and stay here at The Maids Head. We feel that part of the charm of our hotel is the age and individuality of the building - we are possibly the oldest hotel in England. Unfortunately this means that we do have access issues for the less mobile. I must apologise that the message about your group negotiated room rate had not reached the member of staff you spoke with, an error of omission on our part. I do hope you will consider us again next time you are in Norwich.

Reviewed May 15, 2014

I recently had a party at this hotel in the Oak room and the Bar next to it as I did not want the disco in the same room. I told the hotel through their events coordinator what I wanted and they did it. It was a memorable evening. Everything happened exactly as I wished. The staff were friendly and looked after the room really well and the bar man pleasant and helpful. The buffet was excellent, really tasty finger food ,hot and cold and plenty of it. They found me a D J who played the music I had requested. The Oak room is a lovely function room. My guests have told me how much they enjoyed the venue and the food and how great the staff were too. This was my one and only party and it was fantastic. I had two friends who stayed in the hotel for the weekend and were very happy with the entire stay. I am so glad I chose the Maids Head, If you are looking for a party venue, this is the place.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Christine M, General Manager at Maids Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

Dear Clare M,
Thank you for your kind review. I have passed on your thanks to all involved and we are glad that you had such a memorable evening.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

We had the good fortune to spend a couple of nights at the Maids Head recently. The staff were helpful, the room was spacious, and the shower worked properly. We found Norwich to be a beautiful city that is probably under appreciated by tourists. The local pubs (particularly Ribs of Beef and Wig and Pen) were great as well. Would definitely return.

Dear augievikings1992,
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay here at The Maids Head Hotel, as well as our Fine City. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Norwich.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

Old hotel, but full of character, we had a great room, service was excellent, staff are really friendly and attentive. Free car park at the rear, which helped us decide to stay, many others had parking nearby!!
The hotel was very busy with a large group of gardeners at an AGM, but it didn't bother us and the hotel coped excellently. It's central location is great for walking around the city.

Dear NATBET,
Thank you for your appreciation of our Historic hotel - the oldest in England! We are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

How can one of norwich's supposedly superior hotels offer such a bad experience to people with limited mobility, eg my party had to climb stairs leading to lifts? Also, the bedroom opposite had its door open and carpet ripped up (killed the mood somewhat!) and outside in the car park, there were piles of rubbish. I had expected great things of this hotel, but overall, I am left extremely disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Christine M, General Manager at Maids Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2014

Dear Phrannest,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I am sorry to read of the issues you had with your stay. It appears that we were fully booked during the period of your stay and that you had one of the last rooms available so we were unable to change your room to the old side of the hotel. We are in the process of renovating a large number of bedrooms and value feedback to ensure we improve our service in the future.