“A brief stay in Norwich”

Holiday Inn Norwich North Hotel
Ranked #20 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
“A brief stay in Norwich”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

This hotel is very conveniently located for Norwich International Airport. My wife and I found it to be very clean with friendly and helpful staff. The meals, served as a carvery, were good but a little bit of imagination as regards the vegetables on offer would have been nice. Whilst we did not have the time to use them the facilities in the Hotel were plentiful and,should we be in the area in the future, we would be more than happy to stay there again. We would also recommend paying for an upgrade to an "Executive Room"

Room Tip: Room 231, Executive Room, very good and is on ground floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
PANorwich, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich North Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Great to hear such a positive review. Our Jacuzzi Suites like Room 231 are very popular with guests and a great tip to share with fellow travellers. Thank you again and I will ensure this review is shared with the Team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2012

great size hotel, all amenities you could want including spa, gym etc.... warm and friendly welcome upon arrival, bar staff and resteraunt staff pleasant and friendly. room big and clean, bathroom very roomy. small notes for next time, breakfast doesnt start when thay say and bar food is processed in a microwave. will i return? on business yes i would. great location as well

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
PANorwich, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich North Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Great to hear your comments and a pleasure to welcome you back. In reference to your notes, breakfast starts at 5am but is plated not a buffet due to not wishing to have food out for a long period of time. None of the food is microwaved so if you let us know why you think that it is, we can try and improve it for you.
Whitby
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I've stayed here multiple times for work and find it has good and bad points.
Good stuff; staff, pool/gym, bar food, proximity to the airport
Bad stuff; resteraunt food, rooms are very dated, price (compared to other places near by.)

This place must make a fortune with the events it hosts and the amount of gas rig workers passing through not to mention the business from holiday goers to and from Norwich airport so you'd think there would be no excuse for dated rooms with tv's that dont work and bad water pressure. It is a comfortable nights stay but there are better for the price!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
PANorwich, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich North Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for your review and I will certainly share your comments with the Team. Having probably the largest team of Chefs in any hotel in the city it is disappointing that the food was not right for your stay.

All our TV’s were brand new only six weeks ago so if you could contact us directly to let us know the issues that would be excellent. Thank you.
lichfield
Reviewed November 9, 2012

A nicely presented commercial hotel set in a small leisure/commercial park on the outskirts of Norwich on the main road from Norwich to Cromer and by the side of the airport. My trepidation about noise after studying google maps was fortunately not founded. The hotel is set back up a side road behind other buildings which tends to block the noise from the busy main road and the airport is not very busy and does not operate at night ( may be busier in summer- may be worth checking if worried by noise). Car parking is immediately in front of the building and reception is straight off car park. The hotel is a stand alone modern building, well kept and clean. Service by all seemed friendly and helpful. The room ( on ground floor) was to the unbiquitous design for hotel rooms. It looked a bit "used" as you would expect but was pleasant and clean. Unfortunately although designated as a non smoker and booked as such and having a non smoking card on the side table in the room the smell of cigarette smoke hit me as soon as I opened the door. No doubt some ignorant guests had completely ignored the designation but surely the staff sould have spotted this and fumigated or redesignated the room. However personally, it did not worry me but it may have raised cause for complaint by others. The furniture was adequate and clean but I personally found the bed and the pillows a bit hard.

I dined in the restaurant. The food and drinks were very palatable. There was a choice of A La Carte or Carvery (another word for self serve) but I thought the prices were a bit steep (£13.00 for a scoop of lasagne from the carvery !!)

I only stayed for one night but would not object to returning and/or staying longer . A comfortable clean, warm, modern, hotel with all facilities ideal for business or slightly too formal for leisure on the outskirts of the city but on the main road to and only 2 miles from the city centre.

Room Tip: Rooms on back may be quieter- away from car park and not facing airport.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your review and great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. It is disappointing when guests illegally smoke in our rooms as it is hard to refresh the room as the smell gets everywhere. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We booked the bewilderwood package for the second year running.
This package is without doubt great value for money. (family room , DDBB, entrance to the park and a book on the bed awaiting your child on return)

My review would have been very good, accept that during the night our room started to smell of smoke. (cigeratte smoke) My little girl woke up, as we were discussing it, unfortunately this led her to be very scared as she took it to be fire smoke.

I'm not sure if it was from the hotel's offices (we were in 303 next to this area) or from the pop up bed. It was very weird as we certainly didn't smell it on arrival earlier in the evening.

However we attempted to sleep through it, after a day at bewilderwood it helps!

Around 06.30hrs I went to report it. I also asked if we could cancel that days booking. ( we were staying another night) I was met by a polite lady, but wasn't able to make a decision until her manager came in.

I returned to the desk just after 7am to be told that I can cancel as I had paid in advance!

I had to explain that I understood that I could leave at any time, yet I wasn't prepared to pay for this second night, as I would use the refund to book a smoke smell free room elsewhere.

oh , I was asked to come back......

after breakfast I was told that I could indeed cancel. And I got my refund. However at no time did anyone want to investigate my complaint? Look to move me to a new room? Or help me find an alternative hotel.

I have to say that for a small hotel I would have expected for the manager to seek me out to investigate, apolgise even?

I'm a regular user of holiday inns with work, and feel really let down here.

This is the first time that I have ever bothered to write a review, and I stay in hotels 4 nights a week across the uk for many years now. As I have, I will also finish on a note that although the pool is great, and the local gym members were very welcoming to my family,the little things like soap in the showers were empty. breakfast was also Luke warm.

I have to say if it wasn't for room service and pools I'd book Premier Inns every time after this experience.

Room Tip: Marriott was excellent!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
PANorwich, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich North Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Great to hear the positives around your stay and that you received the resolution you required in the end. I must say that I am a little concerned about your comments and would like to speak to you in person regarding these. Devin Grosse (General Manager)

Travelers are raving about these Norwich hotels

King's Lynn, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here overnight for a works function. I have been to this hotel many times before for functions.Check in was easy and the room was just along the corridor from reception, on the ground floor. The room is clean and was quiet, dispite its postion. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The breakfast is also good and plenty of it, with a good selection.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Excellent to hear your review and we shall share your comments with the Team. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel on the Saturday just gone and just had to leave a review as everything about our stay was top class.

When we arrived, we were greeted by a very friendly male receptionist who made check in very quick and easy. He also told us everything we needed to know.

Our executive room was just along from the reception area. The room was huge compared to what I was expecting and other hotel rooms I have stayed in previously. It had a king size bed, flat screen tv with various channels on, sofa and table, desk and chair and dressing table. It was all very clean too and as it was an executive room, you also got slippers, dressing gowns, water, orange juice and a kit kat which was a nice touch! The bathroom was enormous and really nice-had a jacuzzi bath, walk in double shower and heated towel rail. We were so impressed with the room and would definitely pay the extra for an executive again-was definitely worth it!

We used the leisure facilities and although the pool is quite small, there is a lovely jacuzzi and a small steam room and sauna. The only thing that lets the health club down is the very small and dated changing rooms which is a shame. There is also a gym but we didn't get round to using this.

We ate in the restaurant for dinner and the service again was really good-nothing was too much trouble for the staff and everybody was friendly. We had the carvery and it was delicious-the meat was really nice with a good selection of vegetables. There were plenty other items on the menu to choose from too. The only very small negative was that we ordered a dessert and it took over 15 minutes to arrive, even though the restaurant was by then almost empty. However, when we mentioned this, this was quickly removed from our bill without any fuss.

There is a nice conservatory area when you can relax and have a drink and there is also a bar where they had x factor showing which was an added bonus for me!

Breakfast the next morning was lovely-great selection with too much to choose from. Rolls, meat, fruit, Danish pastries, croissants, toast, cereal, juices, porridge as well as a lovely fried selection-all help yourself buffet style. Again, all the staff were very friendly and polite.

On checkout, we had another lovely, this time female receptionist who was friendly and chatty making sure everything about our stay was ok.

The staff at this hotel are great and definitely have great customer service skills. We have stayed in much more expensive hotels that have not even come close to this so we were really pleasantly surprised.

In summary, we had a wonderful evening staying at this hotel and will definitely return!

• Stayed October 2012
PANorwich, General Manager at Holiday Inn Norwich North Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
What a lovely review to brighten us up on such a dull and overcast day. We always love to hear such excellent feedback and it is a great boast for the team when it is shared with them. Thank you again for taking the time to write such excellent feedback.