“we stayed here last year and it was fantastic !!”
Review of The Beeches Hotel

The Beeches Hotel
Ranked #44 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed April 10, 2012

the Beeches seems to have a couple of bad reviews all I can say is ,its a great little hotel with good staff ,clean rooms and a good b,fast. will definitely go again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 12, 2012

I arrived and found that the room hadn't been cleaned properly. Every edge of the carpet was thick with dust, there was a dead woodlouse, a dead bed bug, the surfaces were dusty, the window was cracked and covered in thin plastic, the bed had a dirty, dusty valance sheet and nobody had bothered to move it for hoovering, the kettle was dirty, the bathroom had other peoples' hair in it, the soap tray was cracked, there was water damage and there were cobwebs hanging from the cailing. It also had that awful sickly environment that makes you want to bathe immediately.

I called the building manager, who was bored, unconcerned, extremely rude (basically told me I was lying), couldn't be bothered to come and see the room. After a great deal of effort, he finally agreed to send a cleaner, who explained that he couldn't do anything about any of it apart from some light dusting, as he didn't have access to a hoover, much less a steam cleaner. After calling back, he was not prepared to move me to another room, nor would he agree to find me accomodation elsewhere. I left at about midnight adamant that I wasn't going to stay there and luckily found a nice B&B down the road, but would rather have slept outside than in that room.

When I visited the office the next day, staff were just as deliberately unhelpful and obstructive as they could be. There were two people in the office, neither of whom were prepared to spend five minutes to even look at the state of the room. I was also told that the window had been broken a week earlier, but nobody had been concerned enough to do anything about it.

The hotel is overall shabby, dirty and uncared for. I would NEVER advise anyone to stay here. I'm not particularly fussy, but I do notice these things. Had any of the staff offered even the slightest hint of interest at the possibility of a vermin infestation (incidentally, the local authority will investigate and treat infestations cheaply and quickly), I would be somewhat placated, but they made it as upsetting and difficult as possible.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Tim M
Reviewed March 8, 2012

As a touring professional i was looking for something close to the centre of town for work, which this is (if you don't mind the walk) but that is where the convenience ends!

I stayed in room 12, a small room with uncomfortable double bed and useless pillows (The spare pillows in storage were filthy so couldn't use them) very basic substandard facilities for the complimentary tea and coffee with were rarely replaced.
Bed linen and towels were not changed in the TWO WEEKS I had to endure "hospitality", the windows lacked double glazing the room was cold and could hear ALL traffic outside and as the property was clearly still undergoing renovation builders would have no respect for guest when starting work in the mornings!!!
I did have a dull en suite bathroom but the bath was dirty and the shower was not always functional to standard

This may seem like a harsh review, i don't usually even bother leaving a review, but this place angered me for what I payed from the misleading booking site (non refundable and allocation on arrival, hmmmm!!!)

£349.00 for a POOR 12 nights, NO breakfast, No meals, No bar and No reception or concierge and it seems NO VALUE FOR A LOT OF MONEY!!!!

AVOID this Property and its company JMB, a hotel corp looking to fleece you of your cash wile offering a terrible 'Service'

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank SouthendFan
Reviewed March 7, 2012

I have stayed at several MJB properties before including another building on the site of this hotel and whilst i have always been surpised at the high quality of my pervious accommodation, this hotel was horrendous. It looks like the hotel is under renovation (which wasnt mentioned when booking). Large areas of the hallway have no carpets and instead are bare floorboards (and I'm not referring to varnished and higly polished floorboards). Many of the doors off the hallway were boarded up with plywood or simply whitewashed. On entering the room, I found the carpet was dirty, covered in fluff and lint and had obviously not been vacuumed. The curtains were covered (and I mean seriously covered in cobwebs). Despite it being late at night, I decided I would rather drive home than stay in the room. One positive point was that the bathroom was clean and spacious but that's the best I can say about my experience.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mr_P_Norfolk
Reviewed January 2, 2012

For 10 quid for a night in norwich and free parking...what more could you need? the room was very clean and the bed was alll good, sure the place is a bit drab but it was only a TENNER..i met the cleaner and he was so helpful in finding me a non allergenic pillow.no worries there.
one thing tho,the hot water was truly HOT.. schorchingly so and the bathh filled amazingly quick ,i would be very wary of that with small children.
Such a shame there is no longer an on site breakfast or restaurant.
altho it gave me a great exscuse to try MERGE on the dereham road...well worth LOOK INa look in..

Room Tip: we were on the ground floor away from the main road so nice and quiet (room 12)
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 24, 2011

Ugh. I felt unclean after staying here just one night. Bathroom floor was dirty and sticky, there was cigarette ash in the drawers (of a non-smoking room, which undeniably smelt of smoke), the coffee cups were clean, but the spoons still had coffee on them from the previous occupants and the sachet was under the saucer.

Oh, and a t-shirt (and possibly pants - I preferred not touch them to check) of a previous occupant was wedged on the towel rail behind the bathroom door.

The bathroom was dingy and depressing - the soap dispensers were all empty, the cabinet had no doors/mirrors.

The bed looked freshly made with clean sheets, but that was about it. If we hadn't arrived so late at night that we didn't really have another option, we would have left.

Feels like a place where the owners (whoever they are -- there's no reception, after all) really don't care enough about their customer's experience to ensure the rooms are properly kept.

Avoid.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Steve J
Reviewed December 18, 2011

We stayed for one night in the beginning of December at a very reasonable price. I was apprehensive as the room was at a fantastic price. The room was basic but clean. Sheets and towels were clean , shower was adequate. We took extra tea,coffee and shower gel in response to remarks on the net but they were not needed. All in all a very good deal - would definately stay again.

Room Tip: We had room 18 which was very good for price paid.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple