“The best thai food I've had outside of Thailand!”
Review of Baan Phraya Restaurant - CLOSED

Baan Phraya Restaurant
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Beautiful interior decor which transported us to somewhere outside of Norwich! Staff were welcoming polite and service was quick. The menu was excellent and food was absolutely amazing!
Not the cheapest food in the area but absolutely worth it for the quality of the food.

David T, Owner at Baan Phraya Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Thank you so much for your excellent review.

I'm really glad you appreciate the effort we have put into the decor - it was all transported from Thailand, so everything you see in the restaurant is authentic Thai, including the tables and chairs that were hand made in Chiang Mai.

Our authenticity, as you've commented, reflects in our food and service too. Our fully trained Thai chefs always use fresh and authentic ingredients and our Thai front-of-house staff are typically Thai, serving with a smile.

I very much appreciate your headline comment of "the best Thai food I've had outside of Thailand". That's exactly what we've strived for and I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit to Baan Phraya.

We hope to see you again.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

The Baan Phraya is by far the most authentic thai restaurant in Norwich, offering outstanding quality and excellent service. All dishes are prepared with the utmost attention to detail.

David T, Owner at Baan Phraya Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Thank you for review of Baan Phraya.

We are very proud of our authenticity and this reflects in the decor, the food and the overall presentation.

Thank you for showing your appreciation of our quality of service too. We have an outstanding group of staff, both front of house and in the kitchen, all of whom take great pride in providing the best possible service and quality of food. It is gratifying when customers take the time to post a review that confirms our striving for the true authentic Thai experience with the best possible food is noticed.

Thank you for that and we look forward to seeing you again at Baan Phraya.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

It cannot help to add positively to the experience, when the hostesses always smile warmly to you. The interieur is nice and clean. But the water fountain makes way too much noise in the room. And then the reason most people come. The Food. And here it is quite average. Boring prawn spring rolls and the quality of their duck is terrible. And the food is quite expensive, the sizes taken into account.

David T, Owner at Baan Phraya Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

We appreciate your taking time to review Baan Phraya.

I have spoken to our waiting staff and they recall your visit as I believe you were on your own, sitting on table no 2, in our main area.

The water feature, in our opinion, is not too noisy and adds true authenticity to our decor, which I note you compliment. Most people really like the water feature and many have their pictures taken next to it. As a case in point I'd refer you to the review received just before your review, where they compliment the water feature.

As to the food, our waiting staff asked on more than one occasion if everything was ok to which you replied all was fine. If you had a problem with any of our dishes then surely that would be the time to say something as if something is wrong we can immediately correct it.

Our spring rolls are all hand made by our chef's and they are as tasty as could be. Unlike many other restaurants that purchase frozen spring rolls from Makro, we hand make our own to our own recipe and we've never had a complaint before.

Our duck is always fresh and cooked on the night - as mentioned above, if you found it as bad as you say, why didn't you talk to the staff? We prepare our fresh duck professionally, removing all skin and is cooked in the traditional Thai way.

We will always address any issues on the night if they are pointed out to our waiting staff. I find it odd that you did not do this if there was something wrong.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

The whole experience from booking to settling the bill was brilliant!
Location is great and I really liked the atmosphere, added to by the water fountain in the restaurant and the Thai traditional dress worn by the ladies which I just love.
A fab menu with something for everyone and many good set menu options along with a wide choice of local dishes. The food was absolutely delicious.
The service was faultless; we felt very looked after but not at all "crowded".
We will definitely return!

We very much appreciate your review.

I'm glad you found everything to your liking - we do strive in all aspects to make it an authentic, enjoyable and stress-free experience when visiting Baan Phraya.

All the areas you complimented are important and your last point in particular we stress to our staff to be attentive but not to overcrowd so it's pleasing you found this.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Last night we took my parents for dinner at my favourite Thai restaurant. While we have been there maybe 10 times ourselves, it is always a little unsettling when you recommend a place so heavily. I needn't have worried. The food, wine (unusually good for a Thai), and service were all faultless. The best thing was the worry-free dining as my mum is coeliac and the menu had everything marked up for gluten free (again, have never seen this in a Thai restaurant). The difference this makes to the experience is marked. We will most definitely be back; a fantastic night. The Tom Kha soup and red curry were amazing. Thank you!

David T, Owner at Baan Phraya Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Thank you for your review and your kind comments. I'm really happy that your mum and your group enjoyed your evening.

We always do our best to be as flexible as possible and we felt it a good policy to put as much information as possible on our menu with regards to special dietary requirements. All our food is cooked fresh on the night, so any specific requirements can be explained to our staff and the kitchen can cook as per any special request.

It's also nice to hear that the service our staff provided was up to our usual excellent standard.

We really appreciate you visiting us on a regular basis and we look forward to seeing you again.