“Top quality and value for money”

Roger Hickman's restaurant
Ranked #10 of 843 Restaurants in Norwich
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 1, 2013

My son, who is a chef, recommended this restaurant, as he had visited there a few weeks previously with his partner.
The atmosphere and furnishings are very much as they were when this restaurant was operated by David Adlard, for whom I think Roger used to work.
We all chose the Sampler menu, with wines matched by the restaurant to the various courses. Two people asked for substitute dishes for some of the courses, which the restaurant were happy to agree to.
The food was excellent, top quality, Michelin standard, as were the chosen wines.
If I have any criticism of this restaurant it would be that the pre-dinner drinks/cocktails were not up to par. The vodka martini I ordered was not 'very' dry as requested and sadly was warm? Lots of ice is the very basis of a dry martini. My friend ordered a margarita, but unfortunately the restaurant did not have tequila. I think a gin and tonic would probably be all you can expect.
As a martini lover, this could have ruined the whole evening, but the happy, friendly service and wonderful food and wine more than made up for the shortcomings in the cocktail department!
Everyone had a wonderful evening!

There are newer reviews for Roger Hickman's restaurant

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We had a fine meal here, celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary somewhat randomly in Norwich we stayed at the St Giles House hotel up the road, which was also very pleasant.
Starters of lobster with fennel and mackerel with beetroot were superb, the mackerel dish particularly tasty and generous. We had mains of beef and duck with the beef being the standout dish, perfectly rare and tender.
We shared a very hearty cheeseboard and a raspberry dessert to follow, the cheeseboard was particularly good.
My only gripe really was that I thought the wine list, though thoughtful and well balanced, was too pricey. Entry level wine at 27 quid, it would have bee nice to have a house wine under 20.
Service was good, the food came at a reasonable pace and at least one of the staff on knew what she was doing.
All in all a great meal, the chef clearly is a talented guy with some technical ability.

Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Arrived, greeted and seated all seemed fine. We ordered our meal, asked a query about which red would compliment our course best and the reply was "I don't drink red only white' we then asked if she would go and ask someone who does which she did. However I really would expect a restaurant proclaiming to be of high end calibre to have someone serving who knows the business. The starter was mixed lobster (good) crab a little tasteless. Main was good. We were them asked if we wanted "sweets" very 1970's expecting a trolley to be wheeled out , I ordered cheese - asking which was the best to start, I was then told "they all taste the same really' my husband ordered a dessert and it came with an eyebrow hair on the plate, so was sent back. No apologies. So paid our £150 bill and left, very disappointed. It was such a shame, I expected the works!

2  Thank Saludy
Reviewed August 19, 2013

A good table d'hote menu and very reasonably priced.
Service attentive, friendly, informative and for a Coeliac like myself helpful.
Would have liked to seen evidenced local fare/products available and more seasonable offerings.
Otherwise for a good meal out; I'd recommend it.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

The Roger Hickman is a very interesting restaurant, that must be the closest Norwich restaurant to a Michelin star. However there are a few things to work at. Service is very good mostly, but during the night the waiters seemed a bit clumsy and inexperienced. But all in all they are all smiles and few mistakes.
Food is different and well prepared. There are a lot of different tastes on every plate, sometimes it may feel as there migh be to many different tastes combined in one dish. The halibutt was a bit minty. But all dishes are very good and well made.
The desserts are just amazing, no one should be allowed to leave this restaurant without trying a dessert.

1  Thank Tutdelafrut