“Very good value”
Review of number 17

number 17
Ranked #19 of 80 Norwich B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I boked on line. My requirements were bed and breakfast only and my wish list was good bed good shower and good breakfast. These were well catered for. A very good standard of accomodation. The premises are well located near the city centre and close to the railway station. (10 minute walk up a gentle hill).

If you are travelling by car ask about parking arrangements when booking; some free parking is available for part of the day otherwise it is quite expensive. If it is convenient to park "out of the centre" and get a taxi in it's worth tyhinking about. If you are a stranger to Norwich have a good navigator or sat nav!

Would I stay again? Yes!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed November 25, 2012

We spent a night here in this most interesting, ancient part of Norwich city centre. Yet the room was so quiet it was hard to believe we were so central. The rooms all appeared to be very recently renovated, were immaculate and well equipped. Breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice and very fresh chopped pineapple, kiwi and melon made a most appetising addition to the start of the meal. The owner is patient and helpful, especially as car parking for anyone new to Norwich is a challenge. He gives you a disc to display in the car in a local car park to the rear of the hotel, saving costly car parks fees.

Room Tip: All rooms in the rear courtyard are peaceful and very newly decorated
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Staying at 17 Colegate is a delight, very comfortable and nicely furnished, quiet and relaxing, convenient location, great breakfast and friendly hosts, everything thing you need for an enjoyable trip – perfect.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I had to stay in Norwich for two nights and was so lucky to have this place recommended to me. I paid £60 for a double, but it was worth it. There were people who rate it so much they prefer to stay there during their working week rather than rent a flat.
The opwners bought this derelict place four years ago, and gutted it. They did the work themselves over 8 months and the results are wonderful. The rooms are lovely, well equipped and done up to a high standard.
My luxurious room was at the front and looked over Colgate, a quiet street with not much traffic, in the middle of the oldest part of town. There are family rooms at the end of the garden and I imagine these are really quiet. There is secondary glazing and a very hot central heating system, with a thermostat you can turn right down.The bed was comfy and looked lovely with beautiful duvet cover, cushions and bedspread. I could lie in bed and watch TV ( satellite TV but still nothing worth watching!) while drinking hot chocolate and eating my complementary biscuits. Or I could have sat in one of the arm chairs with my feet up on the pouffe!
My shower room was large and well kitted out, with an illuminated mirror and lots of clean towels. I could have fitted three extra into the shower. The shower gel, soap and shampoo were very nice and bore little resemblance to the washing up liquid that is usually supplied.On my second night I was woken in the early hourse by two drunk people having an argument about Descartes! Norwich has a better class of drunks!
Breakfast is cooked freshly for each guest and there is a buffet table with fresh fruit ( pineapple and melon), fresh pastries, cereals and jam/marmite and honey. I had a huge cafetiere all to myself and a jug of orange juice, with toast, while I waited for my kippers to arrive.
I have to return next week for a couple of nights and I can't wait.

Room Tip: Teh family rooms sound lovely..they are at the end of the garden and have a downstairs king size bed...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Mandy R
Reviewed November 9, 2012

My stay at Number 17 was very good. Warm, comfortable and convenient. Very good breakfast. Only slight whinge - please remember to put the heating on in the bathroom prior to guests arriving in the winter and the wash basin was so tiny that when rinsing my face, my feet also got drenched!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 20, 2012

After a little difficulty in gaining access, we were shown to an extremely well furnished and appointed room. We occupied, as a couple, a family room, which was very spacious. Number 17 is ideal for access to central Norwich, which is a delight. An excellent breakfast, and they kindly looked after our cases throughout the day.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Decent room in an excellent location - a few minutes picturesque walk from the centre of Norwich. Breakfast was fine and service was efficient if not exactly welcoming.

We arrived by car just after 3pm and drove away at checkout time (11am) the next morning. Parking cost us just short of £10 - and we had to visit the car park at 9:00am to buy a new ticket. We asked the owner if there were better options and he shrugged us off - even though we later found out that cheaper options were available.

The web site correctly states that parking is available from 6pm until 9am for £1.70. To show due respect to its customers it should add that parking at any other time costs £1.20 an hour, or £9.70 for a full day.

If you're not touring by car number 17 might scrape a 4 rating, but if you need parking a 3 is quite generous

Room Tip: Consider the cost of parking before booking here.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple