“basic but perfect for a weekend away”
Review of Central Hotel

Central Hotel
Ranked #30 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
england
“basic but perfect for a weekend away”
Reviewed March 11, 2010

stayed in room 10 which has been recently refurbished. The room was very light and airy with great views over the river opposite. Bed was clean and comfy and linen smelt fresh.
Breakfast the following morning was plentiful and very well cooked. Was a bonus being able to leave luggage there for the day whilst went around the city. Staff were top notch, very professional and friendly. I would definitely recommend this hotel and will be staying there again when I return to Norwich.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Clacton on sea, Essex
Reviewed February 28, 2010

My friend and I stayed here for one night, as we wanted to explore the city of Norwich. The location is great, right opposite the river and you can walk into the centre of town in less than 10 minutes. Along the way are plenty of bars, clubs, places to eat... a good selection. I think we were lucky that we were able to park our car right next to the B&B (with a permit, which cost £5) but there are not many places. There are car parks very close by. The room was clean & tidy, with twin beds, which were very comfortable. It had an en-suite which was very roomy and the shower was lovely & powerful, again clean & tidy. Towels, soaps, tea/coffe provided, all good. My only gripe really was the heating. When we got into the room it was cold, as the rad had been turned off but the room did warm up quickly... problem was, this heating didn't go off till 6.30 in the morning, when it should of been coming on...(couldn't turn off myself) Their heating bill must be throught the roof. The breakfast was fine but the tea (sitting in a pot, on a shelf) was cold but the lovely lady, did make us a fresh pot straight away. On leaving, the staff were very helpful with giving directions & info on the town & also allowed us to leave our car, while we went sightseeing. All in all, a good stay.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2009

Economical, but still served a good breakfast (complementary).

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank NewSanta
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2009

I was the colleague that booked Tadgh, previous review, and myself into this B&B. On arrival I was told that there was no parking and that I'd have to find a local car park to leave my car. I was then walked across to the annex, a few yards further up the street. The annex looked dilapidated. The front door failed to close properly unless positively slammed, on a couple of occasions I returned to find the door open to the street. My room was larger and cleaner, and drier, than Tadgh's, but the decor and bed linen had certainly seen better days. I tried the coffee at breakfast, but had to leave it after a few sips, it was ghastly. I had scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast, they didn't bother putting any toast on the plate though!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Den2501

Travelers are raving about these Norwich hotels

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 27, 2009

On a recent business trip a colleague booked 2 rooms in the Central Hotel in order for us to be nearer the Norwich city center. What a mistake that turned out to be! I wish I didn't have to write this review but all in all I would say it was the worst experience I have had in any hotel / B&B. The room I was given wasn't big enough for 2 single beds. The carpet was a dirty-black colour and a little damp. The bathroom was so small the shower door wouldn't fully open and there was nowhere to put toiletries except on the floor. The towel was slightly bigger than a hand towel and the lukewarm water went cold before I finished my shower. If you like tea that tastes like it was made using hot tap water the day before and left in a flask then you'll love the breakfast. I'd booked for 2 nights but could not face a 2nd night so I checked out. I was initially told I'd get a refund only to be later advised they have a 24 hour cancellation policy on refunds. This policy was never mentioned to me nor my colleague who booked nor is it on their website (as they claim). Even so they have refused to give me a refund. I know someone else who stayed in the hotel and was awoken at 3am by shouting. She was so concerned that she moved a bed to bolster her door...need I say any more...?

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Tadhgn
Wallasey, England
Reviewed March 25, 2009

I left the Norwich Train Station at 3.12 and arrived at the Central Hotel at 3.15! My room was in the next annexe (on Chalk Hill Road) and I had a perfect view of the river and of the very busy A147. I should have been given a room without a bathroom (i.e. use of a shared bathroom) but was given en-suite which was a great bonus (as I‘m a non smoker)! The room I have to say was a little on the small side and the bathroom was tiny, and I was given a bigger room than the one I should have been offered (it must have been a broom cupboard!).

My only problem was the shower, bloody freezing as a new thermostat had been fitted that day (19 March). I made the owners aware of the problem and they assured me on the Saturday it had been fixed, it hadn’t! They offered to give me another room but I didn’t take them up on the offer due to the hassle of moving everything.

Breakfast was served between 7am and 9am and consists of eggs, bacon, sausage, beans and tomatoes plus tea and coffee (served in flasks so as many refills as you like), orange juice and cereals, toast, jam and marmalade. A small TV was on in the breakfast room and watching Liverpool beat Aston Villa 5-0 certainly made my day, my week, my month!

The service at breakfast was excellent, I used the last of the milk on my cereal and within 2 minutes it was replaced (without asking). The dining area was immaculate and all the tables set out identically. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

In conclusion for the location it was ideally central (hence the name of the hotel) for the Cathedral, bars, restaurants, shops, riverside walk, train station and cinema. The A147 was noisy but I had no problem sleeping at night and the shower was cold but I was offered and alternative room. Not the best hotel I’ve ever stayed in but it certainly served its purpose.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank Andrew-Hurley
northants
Reviewed October 30, 2008

This hotel was well placed for the train station.The room we were given had a nice view over the river.The hotel had an overall shabby feel about it and the duvet covers on the bed had stains on them.The one member of staff was very helpful.

• Liked — proximity to station
  • Disliked — dirty duvet covers
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple