Central Hotel
$88
$81
HolidayInn.com
  • Pool
Dunston Hall(Stoke Holy Cross)
$120
  • Pool
$86
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewstrain stationshared bathroomannex buildingmain busy roadfull english breakfastparking permitsingle roomcompleat anglerthe ground floornice size roomhotel managerentertainment complexriverside walklight sleeperoverlooking the riverstayed here for three nightsperfect location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was recommended the Central Hotel based on its location and value, and on those points you would be hard pressed to find better. And at £40 for a single room you can't do better. I had a single room with shared bathroom facilities. The bed was very comfortable and a good size for a single.

However I stayed on a Saturday night which must be their busiest time. I must've had particularly bad luck with the fellow guests but the walls were very thin and I could hear what was going on in every room around me and creaking hallway floors as people went to the bathroom woke me up throughout the night. One of the other guests also drunkenly knocked on my door at 1am for a full 15 minutes.

In the morning despite the bathroom being the only toilet and shower on the floor somebody spent a full 45 minutes in there meaning I had to rush to get ready in time for the train. The shower also squealed the whole time which I'm sure would've woken up whoever was next to it.

I understand some of the issues were beyond the hotels control. But it did result in a pretty sleepless and stressful night for me.

To fellow potential guests I would recommend requesting a room on the ground floor to avoid the creaking hallways, but I can't attest to the bathroom facilities or the thickness of the walls!

Room Tip: Avoid upstairs rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Sara K
Reviewed August 19, 2013

This hotel/b&b was ok for one night, but would never go back unfortunately! We were given a room (number 24) in the 'annex' down the road. The room wasn't ready when we were shown in to it so had to come back 15 mins later. Though it was clean and tidy, it was more like a rented room than a hotel. We felt insecure and unsafe, and our door opened into a dirty back yard. I cannot comment on the other rooms in the main 'hotel' building or the annex, hopefully they are better - but avoid room 24.

Breakfast was also disappointing, food was cold, and the service was disorganised. Because the breakfast room is so small, people were having to share tables with strangers.

Plus points are that staff were polite, and location is good, 2 minutes walk from station and short walk to the town centre.

But definitely not worth the £75 we paid!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Berry2011
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed over for one night not expecting what I found for the money I payed. This little B&B is clean, quiet and in a great location. I had an en suite room which was perfect for my stay; I did not expect the shower to be so powerful, it was great! I would recommend this little gem to anyone.

Room Tip: I had a room at the rear of the building which was very quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Have stayed here a few times and always had a good experience. The rooms are basic but clean which is all you need. Not all rooms have an ensuite and the ones that do have adequate facilities. Check in is only until 10pm but that's never been a problem, the staff a very friendly and do anything to accommodate comfort. The location is very good, on the river and only a 5-10 min walk to Tombland, the Norwich lanes and shopping centres etc. Tariff is competitive for the location. Will stay again!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank rdc80
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I arrived mid afternoon to find a queue at check in so the lady letting me in took me into the dining room and asked me to wait there instead of standing in the corridor. (Nice touch) Once I was directed to the recption I booked in quickly as the form was already filled in and I just needed to sign it. Why cannot bigger hotels do this? I was then shown to my room and given instuctions for my stay. Very imformative.

The hotel reminded me of my childhood stay's in North Wales as It was 2 large houses converted into the boarding house although known as the hotel. The room was clean, and comfortable. Unfortunatley I could not sleep with the window open as the room faced onto a busy road. I spent a comfortable stay but my only real complaint was the toilet and shower was at the other end of the corridor so I felt guilty about my nocturnal visits to the loo due to over indulging with liquids. Well I was there for the CAMRA AGM next time I will get an on-suite. Over the three days I enjoyed my breakfast which was both well cooked and filling. As I was out most of the time I did not make full use of the tea making facilities but it was good to have a drink in the morning before breakfast while watching the news and getting ready to go out. All the staff were attentive and jovial so I got the impression nothing would have been too much trouble for them.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main road even though the front rooms have a view across the river
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business