“Loved it”

The Lavender House
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I've never been here and have heard so many people rave about it so I thought we would give it ago. It was my wife's birthday so we booked a table on a Friday evening. The building is a small thatched cottage, converted into a restaurant seating approx 36. The place is intimate and as soon as we arrived we were warmly greeted. Even the chef came out and introduced himself and thanked us for coming.

We plumped for the seven (might have been eight) course taster menu and the food was exquisite. I especially loved the slow cooked pork belly, the main course of 28 day aged beef and the dessert of iced peanut butter parfait, caramel, brownie, ice cream and salted peanuts. The wine selection was excellent and the service couldn't be faulted. We both left feeling nicely full and enjoyed the ambience of the place. It's expensive but worth it.

Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed two outings to this restaurant, food is delicious, we had the taster menu, which was amazing but very generous we were both stuffed at the end, the wine flights to go with the meal make it even nicer

Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Relative to other great restaurants in Norfolk (Morston Hall and Roger Hickman's), The (long-awaited) Lavender House fared poorly.
We were shown to a rather dated Chesterfield-stuffed lounge area in the low-beamed, dimly-lit cottage cum restaurant, where we enjoyed the 'house' gin and tonic (not a patch on those served at The Plough) and delicious Parmesan shortbread, alongside a greasy deep-fried ball of something or other and three (between two?) tiny strips of crackling (they'd be in stitches at The Pigs). Nice touch, however, being greeted by the man in charge.
Thereafter, we were shown to a table in a small extension of the lounge (I guess this must be the 'side room' about which other reviewers have complained - but we were squeezed in at short notice, so I was prepared to give it a go). Whilst we were the only diners, it seemed fine (if a little lacking in ambient hubbub). Once we'd eaten our starters, though, another table had arrived and the smell of their fish starters was overpowering; when the third table's equally fishy starters came, followed by the meat course (during our pudding), it was enough to make us both feel quite queasy.
Good bits: unobtrusive service; lovely bottle of Bordeaux; interesting seared mackerel on water melon ice cubes starter (but only while eating it oneself); the semblance of greeting.
Bad bits: dreadful music; ghastly popcorn truffles; overwhelming smells of others' food (far too many tables in a small unventilated space).
Perhaps holding out so as NOT to be in the side room (as suggested by other reviewers) would have been advisable. I will never know, as I don't want to spend well in excess of £100 finding out!

1  Thank Sue L
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Went on Saturday 10th August 13 with the Wests, the food was as normal first class, we had the taster menu and the wine flight, amazing!!The service excellent....Good to See Richard again look forward to seeing you at the Norfolk Show next Year...

Reviewed August 10, 2013

This was our first visit to the Lavender House for a few years. Last time I thought it was very good but lacking the extra wow factor. This time it was simply incredible!
I had the 8 course tasting menu and my wife had the 3 course menu. Both of us loved our meals.
This is no tiny titbits tasting menu - these are good sized courses: 2 starters, a mini main, main course, cheese course and dessert. Scattered in amongst the courses were canapés, pre-starter and pre-dessert. Everything was beautifully presented and served by professional and friendly staff.
The best thing were the flavours. Little things like the incredible freshness of the ingredients of the salad starter, the pickled grapes and homemade biscuits with the cheese and the smokiness of the fondant potatoes with the beef main course just enhanced the experience. I've never praised food so much and we have eaten in some great restaurants.
I won't leave it years this time. We will be back as soon as we can.

1  Thank Arrondor