The idea of a country home in Norfolk has always tempted me but now I have a better idea. I'm just going to come to 38 St Giles every week-end I possibly can.
I was in the area reviewing hotels and other options for a US celebrity client my company is working with and after some toing and froing we chose to make Norwich our base.
The property itself is stunning. It's Georgian and has been lovingly restored by William & Jan. I had the good fortune to see a couple of different rooms which were all charming and decorated with different unique pieces. Bang & Olufsen TVs and Occitane toiletries come as standard, as does a different freshly baked cake every day - try and catch the exquisite Madeira Cake. The rooms are impeccably clean, the beds comfortable and the bath linens fluffy and decadent.
38 St Giles pay great attention to details. They preserved a 19th century door closing mechanism in one room and in the breakfast room use cups, saucers and plates by local ceramicists and potters. Then there's the art. In the style of La Colombe d' Or where van Gogh and others left works in exchange for meals, here you can discover of brilliantly talented young artists from the area.
The B&B is steps away from the heart of Norwich and some great restaurants. It also offers access to car park and the staff let you know when you can park safely on the street. Of course they were also happy to find out our dining tastes and make appropriate recommendations and arrangements.
Breakfast was as dreamy as the rest of the place. Homebaked bread, fresh granola, homemade jams and the most yellowy you'll ever see.
On a couple of occasions I asked for William's assistance with different things to surprise my partner and every member of the team treated my requests with grace and ease.
I realize that this kind of praise can make one suspicious so here are the negatives:
1. The cable that goes into the B&O in the breakfast room - paint it white to match the wall.
2. William you and your team are a hard act for the rest of the B&B/hotel industry to follow.
3. On Sunday when our stay was over, we had to leave.
I've been in the luxury travel business for over 20 years and have stayed in myriad incredible properties the world over. Increasingly this kind of exquisitely understated property and the service William and his team offer, is redefining the kind of luxury that works for me and most likely for you.
Have a lovely stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 38 St Giles is a grand house with a long and interesting history. It was built in 1700 for the Gurney family and became home to the former Lord Mayor of Norwich. Its neatly tucked-away entrance just off St Giles Street creates an intimacy and privacy that is unrivalled. We are the most centrally located boutique accommodation in Norwich, a stone's throw from the largest outdoor covered marketplace in the UK and adjacent to 'the lanes' - one of the oldest parts of this fine city and an area of national repute boasting well over 200 independent retailers of fashion, food and just about anything else that you might wish to buy. Inside the main entrance we have a grand staircase from which most of the bedrooms are accessed. From our wonderful double rooms to our two large suites you will be surrounded in comfort and a sense of history. We have chosen an eclectic mix of traditional and contemporary pieces of furniture & artefacts, sumptuous throws, cushions and rugs. Our bathrooms feature oversized walk-in showers and rain shower heads, several rooms also have baths. White, fluffy towels and a range of quality toiletries help ensure that your morning ablutions are a positive experience! In selecting our bedding we have chosen simply embroidered 400 thread count white Egyptian cotton (not easy to iron but wonderful next to the skin) with goose down and feather pillows and duvets. Homemade cakes are served on arrival with a choice of teas or our specially blended and locally roasted coffee. We bake our own bread, make our own preserves and source all of our ingredients from the best local suppliers. No corners are cut in attempting to provide you with a relaxing, comfortable and memorable stay. We are happy to cater for small wedding parties, birthdays, anniversaries and other group bookings. We can even create a special meal with fine wines and champagne on arrival for that extra special treat. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA and Agoda so you can book your 38 St Giles Boutique Bed & Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 38 St Giles Hotel Norwich